I have a pregnant cat in my house... Anything I should know?

HellFrost666

Thread title pretty much says it all...

I was asked to foster her until her kittens are 6 weeks old. She's expected to pop any day now.

I have a place for her to nest. She's not very happy at the moment, but she'll just have to deal with being stuck here for a while. There doesn't seem to be a problem with her and the two cats that already live here though. So that's a good thing.

What DON'T you know? (Pretty wide question!)

Other then what I already posted, I know nothing.

I know she's expected to have the kittens in a few days. (That's an approximation, the people at the shelter are pretty good at what they do, but they aren't vets.) I know she's pissed off. I know she needs a place to nest, which she has here.

Well you just need to read up online probably - to know when to call the vet (ie how to know if there are any probs with the birth). Cats are pretty good at haviung kittens, that's why there are so many of them! I'm surprised they haven't been more helpful with information.

I'm no expert, but I would probably put some old towels in her nesting area, along with plenty of fresh food, water & a litter box nearby so she doesn't have to move far before she gives birth & doesn't have to leave sight of them once their born.

keep food and water close to her...make sure the area is like private i guess or she might move the litter if he feels like they are in trouble....also would keep the other cats away from the kittens and her...

i have kittens right now..2 of them,second time ive had to deal with kittens personally.

the mom pretty much does everything else on her own..just make sure she is feeding the kittens and make sure the kittens look ok..

Thought I would post an update here real quick. She's having her kittens right now as I am typing this.

Ooooooh kitttennsssssssssssssss

*girly gush*

okay now that I got that out of my system... I hope they're okay!!! Post pictures once momma cat's adjusted a bit.

I will... she's got three so far. Two black, and we think the third one is gray. When I checked her last the third one had just been born, so it wasn't cleaned off yet. It looked lighter then the first two, but that could just be because of all the liquid still on it.

We came home from an Easter get together at my roomate's Mom's place and I went through the bedroom to go into the bathroom, and she came up to me and was purring and rubbing all over my legs. She followed me into the bathroom and it seemed like she just wanted a lot of attention. Now I wonder if she was trying to tell me she was going into labor.

This was taken about a half hour ago...

image removed

The third one is definitely gray. You can't see the other black one in this picture.

She hasn't had any more yet. I don't know if there's a way to tell if she's finished. She did change positions though since the last time I checked her.

oh Helly! Congrats on being a kitty daddy!! lol When I fostered pregnant females this is what I did:

after birth, move them into a warm, dry CLEAN box with 1 towel folded so that the kittens cannot get under it and smother

buy the kitten formula that is powdered and give mama cat the formula-it will help her to produce more milk for her babies and helps give her the vitamins and nutrients that are sucked out of her during pregnancy and labor.

feed mom several times a day. small meals and be sure that she eats and drinks water.

keep her litter box close to her kittens so that she doesnt have to go far to get to it.

take lots of pictures!!! lol The last one is pretty much for me, so that I can see the babies!!

Thanks for replying all... I guess it is just common sense really.

Doc Blaze, as odd as this might sound I thought of you the other day. Someone brought two kittens into the shelter that look a lot like your kittens.

lol o really..well mine are still around you know how i know, because i woke up and both my cats were sleeping on my side and the kittens were sleeping on my chest..lol i will post a pick in my thread

I had to get up really early this morning and go somewhere. As of this morning there were three kittens, two black, 1 gray. I figured she was done having them and that was going to be all. I even emailed the one lady at the shelter and told her the final count was three.

I didn't want to, but I ended up falling back asleep on the couch for a couple hours. My girlfriend came home for lunch just as I was waking up. She told me now there are five kittens.

So, as of now, we have three black, and two gray.

I'll post more pics soon.

oh Helly! Congrats on being a kitty daddy!! lol When I fostered pregnant females this is what I did:

after birth, move them into a warm, dry CLEAN box with 1 towel folded so that the kittens cannot get under it and smother

buy the kitten formula that is powdered and give mama cat the formula-it will help her to produce more milk for her babies and helps give her the vitamins and nutrients that are sucked out of her during pregnancy and labor.

feed mom several times a day. small meals and be sure that she eats and drinks water.

keep her litter box close to her kittens so that she doesnt have to go far to get to it.

take lots of pictures!!! lol The last one is pretty much for me, so that I can see the babies!!

The shelter gave me a whole bunch of that kitten food to give her. They told me whenever I need more just let them know.

The litter is about 3 steps (that's three human steps) from where the kittens are.

I think once I know for sure that she's done having kittens (since we thought she was done last night and then two more were born today) I'll wash the blanket they're on and put a new one in there. THe shelter gave me two.

THank you for replying... I was waiting for you to say something.

It's hard to tell where the cat ends and kittens begin. Hope to see more.

As requested...

image removed

image removed

image removed

That last pic is of the three that were born last night. Sorry it's so small. My friend took it and he took it from way far back so I cropped it.

I'm right there with you HF.

My mom's cat started giving birth last night and kept it up til today. Last count, there was 5 but when my daughter went to go check on them, she found one dead. She said it was smothered under mama cat. I'll update later and let everyone know if there are more.

I'm right there with you HF.

My mom's cat started giving birth last night and kept it up til today. Last count, there was 5 but when my daughter went to go check on them, she found one dead. She said it was smothered under mama cat. I'll update later and let everyone know if there are more.

That sucks that one died. I've been trying to keep an eye on the ones here so that won't happen. I've walked in there a couple times and caught the Mom laying on one of them.

I did check them all to see how many were male and female. There are two males, one black, one gray. And the same with females, one black, one gray. And the striped one is female.

I know I posted earlier that there were three black and two gray. But when the striped one was born she looked all black.

Archived