getting old!? :(

soaking_wet

I'm 21 years old, and I'll be 22 in about a week ... I'm freaking out!!! ... I feel like I'm soo old! haha I keep overthinking about it and I feel like I should be getting married or have a career already or something! ... I just don't know what being 22 means ... anyways, so I keep thinking, "what if I never get married or have kids or i'm too old before I get there?!" when I clearly know that I'm not ready for any of that yet cuz I still feel 19 ... advice?! Am I old?! Should I be committing?!

Seriously? You're not old.

I am 25 years old, graduating with my first Bachelors this Saturday, so therefore no career lined up quite yet. I am not married, though I am in a serious relationship. I am not ready to get married yet either.

Are you feeling pressure because of friends or family? Do you have friends who are married or getting married and you feel like you are falling behind in life?

You're too young, in my opinion, to settle down. You shouldn't rush things like this because it seems like what you should be doing. When it's time for you to commit to a career and a marriage, it will happen. Enjoy being single!!

Hey there Soaking Wet.

Are you old at 21??!! You sure are making me feel old - haha!

You are still a baby - so take your time and enjoy your life. So many people rush into the marriage and kids thing at an early age just to see it all crash down because they haven't had a chance to really experience life. And then they have all that baggage to drag about behind them!

Relax and think of all the wonderful years you have ahead of you!

Mark

Lol I feel the exact same way as you, and I'm one year older. There's this one guy I talk to that's a big goof and likes joking around that always tells me how I'm getting old and the older I get the less attractive for marriage I'll be lol. Those kind of comments sometimes get to me, but, I think at this day and age early 20's is still very young and there's no need to rush things and settle down, especially when you're not ready. I'm far from ready. To reassure myself and feel better I just kind of made a timeline for myself, I think mid or late 20s for me would be a good time to consider committing because I don't want to be an old mom, and there's still plenty of time till then. From now until I'm in my late 20's I'd have done a ton of things. But who knows, you can't really plan your life and who's to say I won't get married and fall in love before that, or even later? I just try not to stress too much over it. I'd rather be older when I marry than young and unsure.

haha that makes me feel a lil better

It's just that many of my friends are only 18 to 20 ..and I feel soo much older than them lol and I also have a crush on this guy who's 18 hahah and I feel like I should move on from that crush cuz I'm OLD and he's a baby ](*,) .. haha I dunno i'm just very confused ...cuz then I also have friends who are 25 to 27 and they're married and settled ... and I'm the pig in the middle and I don't know what I should be doing! ahhh

haha that makes me feel a lil better

It's just that many of my friends are only 18 to 20 ..and I feel soo much older than them lol and I also have a crush on this guy who's 18 hahah and I feel like I should move on from that crush cuz I'm OLD and he's a baby ](*,) .. haha I dunno i'm just very confused ...cuz then I also have friends who are 25 to 27 and they're married and settled ... and I'm the pig in the middle and I don't know what I should be doing! ahhh

LOL you know, a BIG part of the reason I feel old is because I go to school with 18-20 year olds and I'm probably one of the oldest there. I also had an ex that was 3 years younger than me and when we broke up he said I was too old for him! So those things really made me stress out about my age. But when I hang out and talk to my friends around my age I feel at ease and don't feel old at all. So, just stop comparing yourself to others! Trust me, you're very young. When you're like 25 you're going to look back and think, What was I thinking? Enjoy your time right now and enjoy being young.

If YOU'RE old, then I should be committed to a retirement home, and I'm 25.

Don't compare yourself to people - friends or strangers - because you'll always feel like you're coming up short. ALWAYS.

Instead, focus on YOU and your LIFE. If you're interested in having a relationship with someone, get out there and meet new people (or ask out this guy you have a crush on). See where it goes. Set career goals for yourself, if you want to do that.

Goals are good. Expectations, not so much. Comparisons, definitely no.

soaking_wet

do i get an award for being the eldest?

oh boy i remember being so young i thought anyone over 25 should be shot to put them out of their old age misery.

i hated being 29 i was so old.

at 30 i had my waist length hair cut off because i thought it was weird for an old lady to have long hair!

now i'm old for real oh sigh

truth is i have never felt so young! it is all in the mind, my hair is once again very long and slightly silver i like it.

confidence and contentment with the person you are is the secret to happiness, let other people rule their lives not yours, once you are happy with the person you are and realise no one else is really all that interested in interfering in your life then life is great.

anyone out there admit to having more life experience then me?

Age are relative. There are no such thing as a year, 12 months, 365 days, 24 hours. It's your biological clock that matters.

Certainly, our body does wear and tear. But there are ways to keep 'fit' by regular exercise or having a youthful diet. 22 shouldn't mean much if you're "decaying" slowly.

If being that age frightens you, then you have a lot of anxiety left to go every year if you get to be until your 80's, when you live to see that age, you're allowed to call yourself old.

Don't worry about it so much. There are no set rules for what you can or cannot do as you get in your twenties or anything after that. Just because you hit the 22 doesn't mean anything has changed other than the little number that you identify your age with has gone up a little. Just be happy you are still around on this planet, live life the way you want it, take care of yourself, and hope for the best. that is all you can do.

Archived