Favorite love quotes

Ziggy had such a great question that I thought I'd start another "fun" topic:

Screw the ex for the moment. Us humans are empowered when we are in love. Even though I would consider this the worst time of my life (breaking with someone I could spend the rest of my life with). I still think it's good for two reasons:

1) Nothing puts a mirror in front of you like a breakup does. I am a better person because of this. I question whether it could of happened another way, but I am the world's most eligible bachelor now because of my breakup. Constant Improvement!

2) We are in LOVE!!! Can you fathom something so amazing? Sure it didn't work out. But there are people in 3rd world countries, or people who died young who never knew or never had the chance to know love! Can you imagine that? Sure, we go through a pain that maybe worse than what they will ever experience, but we also experience one of life's greatest gifts.

So in this vein, I would like to celebrate one of life's greatest gifts. Post your favorite quote as it pertains to love. I'll get the ball rolling.

There is no question, for which you are not the answer

--Unknown

"Why should I be affraid to die? We belong together. If I go first I'll wait for you. On the other side of the dark waters." -- The Thin Red Line

To all of our soulmates!:

"If I never meet you in this life let me feel the lack. One glance from your eyes and my life will be yours" -- The Thin Red Line

Be true to your heart lest you lose yourself -- Ayeka (Tenchi Forever)

The hardest thing in life is watching someone you love, love someone else

If you have it [love], you don't need to have anything else, and if you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have.

-- Sir James M. Barrie.

It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone. --Unknown

You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still

remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you, Peter Pan. That's where

I'll be waiting.

-- Tinkerbell from "Hook"

The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return. -Moulin Rouge

The heart has reasons that reason will never know -- Pascal

I love you. And you don't have to love me back, but I'm going to give you my heart anyways.

Love is when reality is better than the dream.

Giving someone all your love is never an assurance that they'll love

you back! don't expect love in return, just wait for it to grow in

their hearts but if it doesn't, be content it grew in yours.

Did you ever stick your arms out and spin and spin and spin? Well, that's what love is like. --'Practical Magic'

'You'll get over it.' It's the cliches that cause the trouble.

To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever.

You don't get over it because 'it' is the person you loved.

The pain stops, there

are new people, but the gap never closes. How could it? The

articluarness of someone who mattered enough to grieve over is not

stopped by anyone but death. The hole in my heart is in the shape of

you and no one else can fit it. Why would I want them to?

The problem lies not in the question, What is the meaning of life?

The problem is not finding Love as the answer.

---Debbie Skelly

Love is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. -- Leo Tolstoy

You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying,

to run by running, to work by working; in just the same way,

you learn to love by loving.

Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is

everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical

about it?.It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking

everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk everything,

you risk even more.

I would rather to never have felt love, than to feel so loved one

minute and in the blink of an eye it all be gone, left with nothing

more than this broken heart I have now.

---Unknown

I loved her, but yet she didn't love me back. But that didn't phase

me. I gave her my heart anyway, and although she didn't want it she

carries a piece of it still today.

Sometimes you love something so much that it hurts to leave it, but

you must. Sometimes it hurts too much to hold on to that thing you

love. And sometimes you let go what you love because you must and it

hurts, but then just sometimes you get it back and

live happily ever after.

You may not love me today, tomorrow, or ever. But I will love you

until it kills me. And even then you will be in my heart.

Loving you is like trying to touch a star,

I know I can never reach you, but I can't help but try.

It doesn't matter who you love or how you love. If you are not in love or loving somebody, you are only half alive

The way to love anything is to realize it might be lost. -- Unknown

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

God is closest to those with broken hearts. ~Jewish Saying

What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you. ~Richard Wilbur

In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you. ~Author Unknown

Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love. ~Charlie Brown

As soon as forever is through, I'll be over you. ~Toto

And one of my favorites:

Love knows not it's own depth until the hour of seperation --Gabran "The Prophet"

And the card I gave to my ex on her birthday (my quote!)

"They will ask me why I no longer wish upon falling stars.

I will tell them I finally caught one.

I will tell them my wish came true."

-James

I'll always love you kelley

I've got a couple good quotes... not really all about LOVE, but about stuff that is inspirational.

The delay of our dreams does not mean they have been denied.

~Sarah Ban Breathnach

Reflection: If we are wise, we discover that our answers come only when we work them out for ourselves.

~Leo Buscaglia

Here are two good quotes which make reinforce NC rule!!

Absense makes the heart grow fonder.

~Sextus Propertius

Absense extinguishes small passions and increases great ones, as the wind will blow out a candle, and blow in a fire.

~Duc de La Rochefoucauld

and some more inspiration

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

Lao-TzuAbsense

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

William Jennings Bryan

Life can only be understood backward; but it must be live forwards.

Soren Kierkegaard

ok I do have a couple about love.... sort of:

It is love, not reason, that is stronger than death.

~Thomas Mann

Love is like a violin. The music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever.

~Unknown

I can't ignore the past.

the moments of love

I can't forget the time

we meet and (something needs to be here)

I won't forget you, Nicole

It's carve into my heart.

Yet, I cannot let go of my life,

I have to move on...

By : Wander The Way

Me

help me here.. I'm trying to finish this thing*

Not exactly a love quote - from a song - but always touches me to the quick.

delicate - lyrics by damien rice

it's not that we're scared

it's just that it's delicate

cannonball - lyrics by damien rice

there's still a little bit of your taste in my mouth

there's still a little bit of you laced with my doubt

it's still a little hard to say what's going on

silent night – lyrics by lisa hannigan

silent night broken night

all is fallen when you take your flight

i found some hate for you just for show

you found some love for me thinking i'd go

don't keep me from crying to sleep

sleep in heavenly peace

silent night moonlit night

nothing's changed nothing is right

i should be stronger than weeping alone

you should be weaker than sending me home

i can't stop you fighting to sleep

sleep in heavely peace

G xx

This is a little poem. I forget where it came from, I think it was in a movie. I posted it here a couple of months ago, but here it is again.

In Limbo forever lost...

Sin of love has wreathed me in Lucid Pain. Who would think something inspiring awe, could have such an unberable cost...

I stand in Solitude, my soul in darkness, my mind in the rain. Pondering a world devoid of me. Hoping beyond all known human hope for the relase of it all ending...

No one to mourn the loss, no one to cry for what was too be, just me lost to time, in darkness, forever sending...

My message to all is this, " What is love worth with no one to share it with?"

Its dark I know, but if you really look into the meaning it is pretty deep.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

"If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers."

--Antoine De Saint-Exupery (The Little Prince)

"Don't drag me down

Just because you're down

And just cause you're blue

Don't make me too

And though you've found

You need more than me

Don't talk to me

About being free

That's freedom without love

And magic without love"

--Better Things / Massive Attack

"I've leaned on me for years

Now you can lean on me

And that's more than love, that's the way it should be

Now I can't change the way you feel

But I can put my arms around you"

--Protection / Massive Attack

hey heres two which me and a mates thought of, there kinda about break ups

''love is as strong as your pride, a contridiction, its as weak as the reason why you lied''

''love seems like the wings of an angel, far apart, but they are truly connected if you look that lil bit closer''

love on another level:

''sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and hope they dont multiply''

~LJ =;

My father inspired me in discovering this quote. With all of the love that he showed me, this is what I gathered about love:

"Love is given. It's not asked for." That's when you know that love is 'unconditional,' whether it may be paternal, maternal, or meant for your significant other. It just shows that when people go out of their ways to love others without asking for that love, that's when you know that it's 'true love'. Being selfless, while showing that you'll be their 'wings' to help them fly. That's what my father did for me. I will always love him for being my support. He was, and still is my angel! I love you dad.

Okay, other quotes of love that inspires me:

I don't know exactly how it goes, since the poem is long, but the quote that jumped out at me in a poem called "Footprints" is:

"Once someone walks into your life, you are never the same again..."

I cried when I first heard this. What's funny is, one of my bestfriends wrote that same exact quote to me, in one of her letters. That's when I knew that we are 'soul-sisters.' I call her Gupta. Love that quote. I also used it in one of my letters written to my uncle, my dad's brother, when he passed away. I didn't realize it, but looking at his casket in the sunlight, I realized:

"Once someone walks into my life, I am never truly the same anymore..."

I cried thinking that even though he's not alive, he's with me in spirit, even though he won't be there for me to lecture me anymore, I will always keep his words with me. Just his effort in trying to teach me, is what's given and not asked for. It's a gift that he's imprinted into my heart. That gift is so hard to find. Now that he's gone, that love will never sever away from my heart. Love's given, and not asked for. When someone can show me that love that my father and his brother taught me, and walks into my life to show me support, I will always hold them dearly into my heart! They leave an imprint in my life, in which I will never forget. With that kind of love, I hope to carry it onto future generations, so that beauty that 'transcends' onto others, and to the future generations.

Another quote about love that I keep in my heart, is from the Dalai Lama. He's full of wisdom andcompassion. Here it goes:

"Compassion is not a sign of weakness, but is a sign of strength..." I think that the world needs to think more like him. That's the only way that we will ever find peace and tranquility on this planet. After all, everyone needs that kind of 'human touch.' If we can't love others, if we close ourselves to selfishness, then we will never find that wisdom, thereforeeee, happiness in life.

These 3 quotes of love, is what keeps me going in life, despite my times of suffering. Afterall, it's just like what the Beatles sang, "All we need is love."

I agree, 'screw the ex,' but remember what they taught us. They're not a bad person, but just know that love that's shared, is what makes 'life' possible, it's transcending. The little love that we share, whether it may be that you're Mother Theresa, who's saving lives, or sharing by doing the simple things in life, like sharing your seat on a bus with a stranger. Or giving advice to others, who need it. It's always important to practice on the quotes that inspire us. It gives us a stronger perspective of who we are in gaining 'personal wisdom.'

Raider5, clever post! Thanks for reminding us of the important things in life!

Mahlina

I collected these quotes prior to and during my recent breakup. First, a couple upbeat ones:

"I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each others dreams, we can be together all the time."

Hobbes (of Calvin and …)

"I have you. A lover and a friend. You are everything I need. You are the sun, the air I breathe. Without you, life wouldn't be the same. Please don't ever go away. And if you go, then don't forget to take me with you."

Author: Basia, Reward

These next few fit so well I had to include them:

"The simple lack of her is more to me than others' presense."

Author: Edward Thomas

"Had we never loved so kindly,

Had we never loved so blindly,

Never met - or never parted,

We had never been broken-hearted."

- - - - Robert Burns "Ae Fond Kiss"

"After all my erstwhile dear, my no longer cherished;

Need we say it was not love, just because it perished?"

- - - - Edna St. Vincent Millay

"Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell."

- - - - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Here's one that's really negative, but sometimes seems all too true...:

"Have you even been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up this whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so a simple phrase like "maybe we should just be friends" or "how very perceptive" turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love."

-Rose Walker

I have to include this one, it's something I wrote down after having a bad day and talking to my girlfriend. It may not mean much to you, but hey, this is my quote list! 8)

Me: "I couldn't get my physics, so I tried my physics lab, couldn't get that, so I tried my astro homework and couldn't get that, and now I can't even get money from the bank!"

Her: "Well, you've got me, that counts for something"

Some motivational ones to help with moving on:

"I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived."

- Margaret Mitchell

"Love comes to those who still hope even though they've been disappointed, to those who still believe even though they've been betrayed, to those for whom love still heals, even though they've been hurt before."

Author: Anonymous

"Be glad of life, because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars."

Henry Van Dyke

I printed this one out and read it a lot right after the breakup:

May you find serenity and tranquility in a world you may not always understand. May the pain you have known and the conflict you have experienced give you the strength to walk through life facing each new situation with courage and optimism. Always know that there are those whose love and understanding will always be there, even when you feel most alone. May you discover enough goodness in others to believe in a world of peace. May a kind word, a reassuring touch, and a warm smile be yours every day of your life, and may you give these gifts as well as receive them. Remember the sunshine when the storm seems unending. Teach love to those who hate, and let that love embrace you as you go out into the world. May the teachings of those you admire become part of you, so that you may call upon them. Remember, those whose lives you have touched and whose have touched yours are always a part of you, even if the encounters were less than you would have wished. It is the content of the encounter that is more important than the form. May you not become too concerned with material matters, but instead place immeasurable value on the goodness in your heart. Find time each day to see beauty and love in the world around you. Realize that each person has limitless abilities, but each of us is different in our own way. What you feel you lack in the present may become one of your strengths in the future. May you see your future as one filled with promise and possibility. Learn to view everything as a worthwhile experience. May you find enough inner strength to determine your own worth by yourself, and not be dependent on another's judgment of your accomplishments. May you always feel loved. -Unknown.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,

My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;

I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

W. H. Auden

It is sad not to be loved but it is much sadder not to be able to love.

Miguel De Unamuno

It's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

Alfred Lord Tennyson

Looking back, I have this to regret, that too often when I loved, I did not say so.

David Grayson

Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your heart or burn down your house, you can never tell.

Joan Crawford

Love is a portion of the soul itself, and it is of the same nature as the celestial breathing of the atmosphere of paradise.

Victor Hugo

Love is always bestowed as a gift - freely, willingly and without expectation. We don't love to be loved; we love to love.

Leo Buscaglia

Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.

Aristotle

One word frees us of all the weight and pain in life. That word is love.

Sophocles

Perfect love is rare indeed - for to be a lover will require that you continually have the subtlety of the very wise, the flexibility of the child, the sensitivity of the artist, the understanding of the philosopher, the acceptance of the saint, the tolerance of the scholar and the fortitude of the certain.

Leo Buscaglia

Take away love and our earth is a tomb.

Robert Browning

The art of love . . . is largely the art of persistence.

Albert Ellis

The course of true love never did run smooth.

William Shakespeare

There is only one kind of love, but there are one thousand imitations.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

Bertrand Russell

True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about but few have seen.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Two souls with but a single thought,

Two hearts that beat as one.

Friedrich Halm

We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.

Tom Robbins

• 2 weeks later...

not strictly quotes, but some of my favourite lyrics...they're not all about love at all, but can be read / applied in that way. As some of you might be able to see (if you recognize the lyrics), i'm a big Counting Crows fan:

-----------------

I wanted so badly somebody other than me

staring back at me But you were gone gone gone

I wanted to see you walking backwards

And get the sensation of you coming home

I wanted to see you walking away from me

Without the sensation of you leaving me alone

------------------

love is a ghost train howling on the radio

"Remember everything" She said "When only memories remain"

------------------

She is leaving on a walkaway

She is leaving me in disarray

In the absense of a place to be

she stands there looking back at me

hesitates, and then turns away

She'll change so suddenly

She's just like mercury

-------------------

(this one feels particularly true for me as i know my ex has never been dumped in a serious relationship before)

In all this time

the bottom line

you dont know how much I feel

You say you see, but I dont agree.

you don't know - dont know how I feel.

--------------------

Get away from me, just get away from me

This isn't gonna be easy

but I don't need you

believe me

You got a piece of me

but it's just a little piece of me