How do I become mentally equal?

sanadee

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, you have said i should learn new knowledge. but i already have read the knowledge i need and frankly want to know.

i'm talking, specifically about basic common sense and common knowledge of living. i won't be behind on this any more, and i want to be able to pick it up naturally as all others do.

Now for this to go anywhere, please state why i cannot?

You wanted to know why you can't be mentally equal:

- you are not willing to seek out professional help (in case it was necessary)

- you are not willing to listen to what anyone has to suggest

- you are not willing to accept that from an outsider's point of view, there is no need for you to feel incapacitated

- you are not willing to take any actions in order to improve your situation

i know i have looked bad in this thread.

but you have collectively suggested to read more. but the knowledge i want are things people generally pick up by default.

people generally know that respect is earned by default. i was only 24 when i learnt that. most people know this at a far younger age than i did.

i think not knowing common knowledge like this costs me, since it makes people think i'm odd. i am 30 now, and i am a loser for not going anywhere since people think i'm odd.

if a "doctor" is to help me, s/he should make me mentally equal, since that is what is lacking for me.

i know i have looked bad in this thread.

but you have collectively suggested to read more. but the knowledge i want are things people generally pick up by default.

people generally know that respect is earned by default. i was only 24 when i learnt that. most people know this at a far younger age than i did.

i think not knowing common knowledge like this costs me, since it makes people think i'm odd. i am 30 now, and i am a loser for not going anywhere since people think i'm odd.

if a "doctor" is to help me, s/he should make me mentally equal, since that is what is lacking for me.

Actually, a lot of people don't realize that until they get older.

Stop watching tv, Read a book. Society is the cause of the problem, but its ultimately your responsibility to do something about it.

i already am well read, on a number of topics. I know a lot about politics and economics and other social topics.

i just want normal general common sense/reasoning.

dont point at other people and blame them because you arent where you want to be.

the only person you can blame is yourself.

growth starts my taking responsibility for what you lack

I am taking responsibility to see why I am not mentally on par with others.

Well, I think that if you are the problem, then there is hope. If you are not the problem, then there may be no solution for you.

OK. But there must be a reason for the problem. Everything happens for a reason. It either is mental retardation, or some other neurological problem.

I'm being proactive in trying to find a solution.

well then, ask questions. ask questions about yourself that you dont want the answers to. if you act one way ask why, then identify with others. ask the meaning behind behaviors, learn more from other resources.

identify traits and behavior patterns in yourself and others. take note of everything.

introspection and projection.

brutal honesty. strip yourself down and accept all criticisms as a possibility at minimum. have no shame, finger and salt wounds. never stop wanting to learn. never stop wanting to improve.

accept that there will never be a plateau.

learn to identify and destroy denial. accept the idea that your SUBconcious is hiding things from you at all times.

reflect this reflect that, and project and transfer. and most importantly.. listen to others. absorb everything and analyze everything.

listen.

and there you go. mental improvement.

equality is something that cant really be measured though.

Firstly stop generalizing about 'all others' versus you. As many people have tried to explain, the 'all others' pot is gigantigly huge and as varied in their behavior. You really have a misconception that there is something as 'common knowledge'. The only common knowledge there is are subconscious things: breathing, heart rhythm, sleeping etc - everything related to behavior/ conscious knowledge is very very diverse from person to person even within the same culture/ society/ generation/ gender etc.

I am a highly educated person, but I constantly do things where others say how could I not know that/ how could I have been doing such a silly thing (simple answer: I am human, I possible cannot know all, I have focused on other things ...). - Don't respond back to this that you don't believe me. Why should I be making up that I do stupid things as regular as the next person?

Secondly, there are differences in the brain structure between people. That is a fact of life none of us can change, so arguing/ whining about this will not get anyone anywhere. However the great thing about the brain (as I mentioned before) is that regardless what the biological/ architectural details of your brain might be, most circuits in the brain involved with conscious behavior/ acquiring knowledge are ACTIVITY dependent circuits that are highly capable of change at any given time in your life. --> Translation: it is in YOUR power at any given time to improve/ increase your knowledge

Thirdly, if you fear there might be some underlying biological/ psychological/ medical issue - go see a doctor!!!

Regardless if there is a diagnosis or not, you have to accept what your biology is, but it is your responsibility to improve the things that are in your power.

Accept that stomping your foot like a kid, shouting "I want knowledge" is not going to make a difference - only your actions will be able to do so.

Firstly stop generalizing about 'all others' versus you. As many people have tried to explain, the 'all others' pot is gigantigly huge and as varied in their behavior. You really have a misconception that there is something as 'common knowledge'. The only common knowledge there is are subconscious things: breathing, heart rhythm, sleeping etc - everything related to behavior/ conscious knowledge is very very diverse from person to person even within the same culture/ society/ generation/ gender etc.

I suppose this is true. But i don't like not having access to common wisdom/facts of life. I try to buy philosophy books and books on wisdom, but it doesn't work.

I am a highly educated person, but I constantly do things where others say how could I not know that/ how could I have been doing such a silly thing (simple answer: I am human, I possible cannot know all, I have focused on other things ...). - Don't respond back to this that you don't believe me. Why should I be making up that I do stupid things as regular as the next person?

Secondly, there are differences in the brain structure between people. That is a fact of life none of us can change, so arguing/ whining about this will not get anyone anywhere. However the great thing about the brain (as I mentioned before) is that regardless what the biological/ architectural details of your brain might be, most circuits in the brain involved with conscious behavior/ acquiring knowledge are ACTIVITY dependent circuits that are highly capable of change at any given time in your life. --> Translation: it is in YOUR power at any given time to improve/ increase your knowledge

Thirdly, if you fear there might be some underlying biological/ psychological/ medical issue - go see a doctor!!!

Regardless if there is a diagnosis or not, you have to accept what your biology is, but it is your responsibility to improve the things that are in your power.

Accept that stomping your foot like a kid, shouting "I want knowledge" is not going to make a difference - only your actions will be able to do so.

It just doesn't make sense though. Recently, my dad asked me if i knew that there is risk in everything, and i said no, and he looked surprised. that hurt.

i think the solution to my problem is to be more inquisitive and read more on common wisdom of life.

Archived