guy 30+ yr old living at home

fatcat1999

No, this discussion was just that, a discussion with different opinions and feefback. It's called debate

It was not one person who gave their opinions, but many!

And I dont think you should speak for "the great number of people", because the way I see it, it was the same 2-3 people who were offended.

I feel as though you made inflammatory comments. Without them, the thread may have taken a different turn.

Fin.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting how it's often assumed that if you live with parents you are 'dependent' on them - I live with my mum, I'm 30 years old, and a big part of that reason is that she's starting her own business and my wages pay the bills. She's by no means dependent on me, would be happy if I chose to move out, but then she'd be living on her savings and the small amount she currently earns from her company.

Apart from the financial side, we get on well and I enjoy living with her. I have thought about moving out, but feel that I need to be there for her when she needs some help so am trying to give back by giving some support as she's given to me in the past.

I'm not the only person that I know who are at home helping their parents in one way or another, so it's not all one way traffic.

I agree with the poster who said that it's not appropriate to stick people in categories as 'loser' or whatever for living at home, there are countless circumstances that create the way that people live, the only question is whether to you it's something that you want in your life.

I'm 28 and I live at home, but I just finished my Grad degree in OCT and haven't been able to find a real job yet......the only time that I haven't lived at home was when I was off training in the Marine Corps, but I was always a full-time student when I wasn't in the Marines, until now.

Its just my mother and I and she lives in the renovated basement, so I may just take over the mortgage when I do get a job....its not like she's in the next room lol, she's 2 floors down...I don't see the big deal if your financially independent.

I have flawless credit, no debt of any kind and have no student loans, so once I get a job, its off to the races.

My guess is that more of the reason is you enjoying the comforts of living with a parent than otherwise, based on your post. Nothing wrong with that, just a reflection of priorities. Can't you be there for her without living under the same roof? That is not meant to be critical, just a question based on what you wrote.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey thats his decision. Depending on his location, he can put a huge downpayment on a house in 2 years or less. Then you women would say, he is better then a man who has an apartment. And you know its true. That is whats wrong with this double standard society. Women should be independent also. And if he has no children he is definetely ahead of a woman with children, everything else being equal, because he has no baggage. Now see how that little remark made some of you upset.

Psychopaths live alone, some are even doctors. Just saw one on TV last night.

Never judge a book by looking at the cover. My ex lives at home, and she lived at home before we got married. She is smart, and educated, she is just lazy and wants someone to take care of her. Now thats a turn off. If she was saving for a house, or actually paying off her debt, that would be understandable. But that was not the case.

As for him not asking you out. Well, if he lives at home, maybe he just is not wanting to date you, or maybe he feels embarrassed. What if you guys do want to be romantic. What then. Go to your place, depending on your living situation, or go to a hotel.

Have you spoken to him on webcam. Maybe he is not who he says he is. Could be alot of things behind him not asking you out.

My guess is that more of the reason is you enjoying the comforts of living with a parent than otherwise, based on your post. Nothing wrong with that, just a reflection of priorities. Can't you be there for her without living under the same roof? That is not meant to be critical, just a question based on what you wrote.

Sorry only just saw this! I'm not sure where you get that it's because I enjoy the comforts of living with a parent? There is no extra comfort versus living on my own other than having the benefit of her company, we're friends as well as related.

I've lived away from home so know the comparison. Her and I are very independent - we both cook, clean and do our share and live our own lives - I'm waaay too old to be doted over like a teenager - if it was like that I'd be off in a shot!

I'm not sure I could afford to help with the expenses if I had my own to cover as well....! (Which is what I meant by being there for her)

Thanks for making me think about it though, it's always good to have an alternative point of view to make you question your position in life.

I think that there is a line between a good and a bad situation, if I felt at any point that it was holding myself or her back from living our lives as we wanted I would make steps to change it but at the moment it works.

Archived