guy 30+ yr old living at home

fatcat1999

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever. I don't believe it, it sounds like an excuse to me, to be honest. I've been very very poor, so I'm not really into the idea that I had it 'easy' - I find that pretty rude actually.

exactly! I'm hearing a WHOLE bunch of excuses here.

Maybe this is a sign of the article I posted "Nation of wimps"

When my grandfather came to Canada in the 20's, he had a pair of pants and a shirt. He didn't even have shoes.

He went on to build a mini empire

There was no whining about how he could not find a job. He went out of province to build the railroad and would go days w/out food.

Again, it's called SURVIVAL!

Cost of living. More jobs requiring education. Outscourcing.

Before you could raise a family on a one person salary. Of course this was back in the 50s and 60s.

Look at what age people are getting married and having kids. It's getting harder financially to make it ahead.

back then, people could do with a high school diploma. when my mom graduated, a bachelor was all that was offered. now, everyone has a bachelor.

exactly! I'm hearing a WHOLE bunch of excuses here.

Maybe this is a sign of the article I posted "Nation of wimps"

When my grandfather came to Canada in the 20's, he had a pair of pants and a shirt. He didn't even have shoes.

He went on to build a mini empire

There was no whining about how he could not find a job. He went out of province to build the railroad and would go days w/out food.

Again, it's called SURVIVAL!

Okay. He built a mini empire. Good for him. Most businesses fail. Your grandfather was intelligent and lucky.

I do think this is a Nation of wimps and greed. But don't tell me an 18 y/o has the same chance to succeed moving out on his own nowadays compared say 25 years ago.

Whether we want to admit or not it's tougher now to succeed financially than before. And it will continue to get harder.

Okay. He built a mini empire. Good for him. Most businesses fail. Your grandfather was intelligent and lucky.

I do think this is a Nation of wimps and greed. But don't tell me an 18 y/o has the same chance to succeed moving out on his own nowadays compared say 25 years ago.

Whether we want to admit or not it's tougher now to succeed financially than before. And it will continue to get harder.

He got on a boat from Poland, poor and hungry and had to work with no shoes and no food. He saved every friggin dime and worked 7 days a week for 19 hrs a day. Sounds like luck and intelligence to me!

Luck is winning the lottery!

It's EASIER to succeed these days. You kids have EVERYTHING at your fingertips. Maybe you're just too "unlucky" to see it in front of you

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He got on a boat from Poland, poor and hungry and had to work with no shoes and no food. He saved every friggin dime and worked 7 days a week for 19 hrs a day. Sounds like luck and intelligence to me!

Let's say it this way, if your grandfather now come to America dirtbroke in 2009, would he be able to carve out the empire he has now? More competiton.

That's tough, and I sympathise. I would say though that I was specifically talking about people living at home in their THIRTIES being weird. So if it takes a bit of time to get independent, that's not too bad I guess. But if you're still in mom and dad's once you're past 30, and have never moved out, then that is by choice I think. And that choice is a dealbreaker for me.

Exactly, finally someone gets it. Why are people mentioning college costs, harder for young people, blah blah. All true things and I have sympathy for those in early 20's, mid 20's, but this thread is talking about someone in their 30's! Entirely different situation. Grown ass 35 year old man living at home, loser, most likely.

It's EASIER to succeed these days. You kids have EVERYTHING at your fingertips. Maybe you're just too "unlucky" to see it in front of you

Life's too short for that kind of work imo...

Let's say it this way, if your grandfather now come to America dirtbroke in 2009, would he be able to carve out the empire he has now? More competiton.

Yea, this is what i was thinking too. I don't think you can make a comparison between now, and how things were back then.

Yea, this is what i was thinking too. I don't think you can make a comparison between now, and how things were back then.

You can't but she will continue to..

Wonder what his car insurance was?! Mine is 2200 a year!!

lol. my bestfriend's dad is a CEO of a very big bank. you probably have heard of it, but i'm not going to name drop. anyway, he started at the bottom or close to it. even he will say that it's not the same now. you can not do that today, but it was possible back then... but not today.

not to mention, most people who do come to north america today are hard working. they also come with higher degrees than those who were born here... and there they are, working for minimum wage. is it because they're not hard working? what an ignorant view.

With the way things are today in the economy it doesn't surprise me anymore than more and more older folks are moving back in with mom and dad.

I think you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm saying that people in their thirties living at home who have *never* lived independently throw up major red flags for me.

I think it's a question of priorities and what people want. I didn't drive but I lived independently - that would be my preference by *far*.

I resent my generation greatly for the image portrayed. An example of a man from Canada building "a mini empire" and the explanation that only the weak cannot find work is just so disgusting to me.

I want to work, it's my life. I want to be productive but all anyone in a generation above mine can say is suck it up, I made it out.

It's laughable. There are people who were making hundreds of thousands of dollars in their thirties bouncing from homeless shelter to homeless shelter with their small children. They're lazy and not using their thinking caps, I suppose.

No compassion. There is a difference between enabling and compassion.

No one has any.

Alright, look. I'll agree, going from $250K a year to a tenth of that is quite a fall, and I'll even offer kudos that you got a job.

But that's the thing. In this economy, the idea of getting any kind of job is a feat unto itself. The last time I got a regular, non-temporary job, Bill Clinton was the commander in chief of the US.

I send out some five to ten applications a day to office, retail, and labor type positions. Once in a while, I get a job interview, and while I may not be the best interview (since I'm still looking), I do give it my best and there are those who fare worse than me.

So I wouldn't say people "have it easy" when multiple major car companies are filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and job fairs are overcrowded.

I'll say it again, congratulations on getting a job. I'm 28 and I'll be lucky if I can get a job delivering pizza.

Archived