Would you buy a man an engagement?

Yup.

I've toyed with the idea, he would like an equal symbol of engagement, but said he the only ring he wants is a wedding band..but has expressed he wished there was an equal symbol of engagement for a man.

I will probably do something else for him, in terms of jewelry. Replace his existing yellow gold chain to white gold, as that will be the colour of our rings.

The stuff I gave my ex would have been suitable for 10 weddings. I wouldn't buy him a wedding ring, but I would buy him a nice pricey watch, or something he really needed and wanted. I have know many many people to buy these big fancy rings only be in divorce court before the thing was paid off.

Honestly, I don't even see the need in a big fancy wedding, feeding dozens of folks you never met or visited you...but I surely would want my honeymoon to be somewhere exotic...I think it would be great for me to go to Australia....as a matter of fact if I ever have the $$ to go on a trip out of the country for the first time I would like it to be in the land down under....I love their accent too.

An engagement ring for a man? No way.

I'm don't consider myself a traditional person but, when it comes to this, I guess I am.

Seriously though...are there men who want engagement rings? The thought of that makes me mad.

Engagement rings are one of the few things that women get to accept without being expected to give something in return. I've looked forward to having one given to me, since I was a little girl. I can't imagine a man proposing to me, putting the ring on my finger and then saying, "now I want one too".

Wow...not cool.

P.S. I'm really shocked that I'm the only one who has had this reaction.

I'm don't consider myself a traditional person but, when it comes to this, I guess I am.

Seriously though...are there man who want engagement rings? The thought of that makes me mad.

Engagement rings are one of the few things that women get to accept without being expected to give something in return. I've looked forward to having one given to me, since I was a little girl. I can't imagine a man proposing to me, putting the ring on my finger and then saying, "now I want one too".

Wow...not cool.

Well it goes back to the other post breaking away from tradition of having an engagement ring when proposing, so many people are okay with it.. This is the same thing, while it isn't "traditional" to give a man an engagement ring neither is not having a ring when proposing. Most people think you buy the ring and then propose. These days it isn't that way anymore so many more people are being more acceptable of not doing it the traditional way (and that includes buying a man an engagement ring)

Seriously though...are there men who want engagement rings? The thought of that makes me mad.

Wow...not cool.

Its sad that a man wishes to have a symbol of commitment? I don't think so.

what do guys have that they can accept with their woman not expecting anything in return? I really can't think of anything. To me, It's only fair that if a female expects a ring without giving anything in return , a man can expect one as well.

what do guys have that they can accept with their woman not expecting anything in return? I really can't think of anything. To me, It's only fair that if a female expects a ring without giving anything in return , a man can expect one as well.

Okay...I'll list a few off the top of my head.

It's socially acceptable for a women to do all of these things for a man without expecting anything in return:

cook meals

clear the table

clean the house

do the dishes

do the laundy

give-up their last name

shop for clothes for their husbands

arrange appointments

give-up their job for man's job

It's socially acceptable for a women to do all of these things for a man without expecting anything in return:

cook meals

clear the table

clean the house

do the dishes

do the laundy

give-up their last name

arrange appointments

Okay so all of that should be done in return for an expensive engagement ring... Oooook where I come from, both women AND men do all of the things you list so as for it being "socially acceptable" if you want to argue that I still say it's perfectly acceptable for a man to expect an engagement 'gift' as well.

Oh and btw, I expect my fiance to help out with all of the things you listed so yes, MOST women expect something from the things you listed. The guy also is usually the one who is the main bread winner in the family (that is done in return for the woman doing all the things you list as well). Invalid argument.

cook meals

clear the table

clean the house

do the dishes

do the laundy

give-up their last name

arrange appointments

Wow, what society do you live in that accepts this? This was the case pre 1960's sure, but in 2009?

I live in a fairly equal and sharing society. I know guys that do all of the above while their wives follow the career, including looking after the kids.

I even have a malefriend who recently got married and give us HIS last name and took hers...

Its sad that a man wishes to have a symbol of commitment? I don't think so.

No. I wouldn't say that. I just think it's wonderful that our society has kept a piece of tradition alive that doesn't exist at a woman's expense...like most other traditional values do. Does that makes sense?

No. I wouldn't say that. I just think it's wonderful that our society has kept a piece of tradition alive that doesn't exist at a woman's expense...like most other traditional values do. Does that makes sense?

What traditional values do guys have left in their favor? Seriously?

Sure, but I think it doesn't need to be so female centered.

To me, WE are getting engaged, and if he would love to share this phase of our relationship with a symbol that he gets to wear that represents him being engaged, and he wants that excitment as well..then I'm for it. It's just as much about him getting engaged as well..not just me getting a pretty ring...he's also engaged..if a guy wants a symbol that represents it, then why not?

Archived