Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

From the US, do I need a visa?

jengh

Okay, so I'm not studying abroad in England anymore. They took that away from me. I'm not going into it. Please don't ask.

I am, however, still going over there. I have a place to stay and all that. I'll be there from roughly August 1st-January 3rd.

I'm sooo confused about the whole visa thing. Do I need one? The site I've been on for ages now is so confusing. link removed

I think I can be there for 6 months without one... does anyone know for sure? Their website is just confusing.

Also, I want to get a job while over there...but according to their work visa site, you need to already have a job lined up. Can I go over there, find a job and then get a work visa?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Victoria is right, for commonweath countries it is much easier, you can just get a visa, show up and look for a job.

Wht about going through BUNAC?

link removed

Americans can get a visa and go work in the UK

edit..oops just realised it is over... that sucks......sorry! They might be people to contact though... they do work with a lot of work exchange programmes

Did you look through the visa4uk? I believe you need to have a look at the UK Border Agency part, that will offer you more information and more specific. I know that we need a visa to get into your country only if we have a criminal record or something similar...otherwise we fill something in on the plane.

You could save yourself the pain and speak to a travel agent about it, they'd know.

XXXX

Hiya, from what I've read it's members of the EEA and Switzerland that can work after arriving.

If you want to work whilst you're here you would need to apply beforehand and have a job offer from a licensed sponsor.

If you go to http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk it lists the categories you can apply under and the requirements.

Hope that helps and isn't horrendously wrong! For more clear advice it may be best to call them as it can be horrific going through all the bumf they have on the website.

Good luck in your travels! How exciting! (Bring a jumper...)

Victoria is right, for commonweath countries it is much easier, you can just get a visa, show up and look for a job.

Wht about going through BUNAC?

link removed

Americans can get a visa and go work in the UK

edit..oops just realised it is over... that sucks......sorry! They might be people to contact though... they do work with a lot of work exchange programmes

thank you--I'll check it out and see if I can find anything

Hiya, from what I've read it's members of the EEA and Switzerland that can work after arriving.

If you want to work whilst you're here you would need to apply beforehand and have a job offer from a licensed sponsor.

If you go to link removed it lists the categories you can apply under and the requirements.

Hope that helps and isn't horrendously wrong! For more clear advice it may be best to call them as it can be horrific going through all the bumf they have on the website.

Good luck in your travels! How exciting! (Bring a jumper...)

Ps.. you can stay up to six months as long as you're not working.

Hmmm...alright, thanks I'll check that out. I'd like to get a job since I'll be there for 5 months (maybe longer, it all depends on circumstances...but as of now it looks like August-end of December)...If I find a way to where I won't have to get a job though (win the lottery? haha) then I won't need a visa since it will be under the 6 month mark?

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm...alright, thanks I'll check that out. I'd like to get a job since I'll be there for 5 months (maybe longer, it all depends on circumstances...but as of now it looks like August-end of December)...If I find a way to where I won't have to get a job though (win the lottery? haha) then I won't need a visa since it will be under the 6 month mark?

Sorry, I've only just seen this. If you're from the US, you don't even need a work visa if you're here for less than six months, but you DO need a work permit, which only a potential employer can apply for (i.e. you can't), hence you should find a job and get the paperwork done before you arrive. Of course, in reality, sometimes people do it the wrong way around, but you'll find most employers won't employ you these days unless you're an EU citizen or you have a work permit (because they know it's illegal and they're increasingly likely to get caught).

Sorry, I've only just seen this. If you're from the US, you don't even need a work visa if you're here for less than six months, but you DO need a work permit, which only a potential employer can apply for (i.e. you can't), hence you should find a job and get the paperwork done before you arrive. Of course, in reality, sometimes people do it the wrong way around, but you'll find most employers won't employ you these days unless you're an EU citizen or you have a work permit (because they know it's illegal and they're increasingly likely to get caught).

Hmmm, oh okay this info helps--thank you.

I just booked my flight this past week. July 13-Jan 8!

I'm not sure how to find a job beforehand though. Is there a charge for the work permits? I've contacted two different UK visa sites and both have been so unhelpful and unclear. It's just all really confusing to me. I really would like to find a job while there. I want to be able to go out and do fun things without worrying about money too much.

Hmmm, oh okay this info helps--thank you.

I just booked my flight this past week. July 13-Jan 8!

I'm not sure how to find a job beforehand though. Is there a charge for the work permits? I've contacted two different UK visa sites and both have been so unhelpful and unclear. It's just all really confusing to me. I really would like to find a job while there. I want to be able to go out and do fun things without worrying about money too much.

Well, apologies, as I'm about to add to your confusion. It turns out the law was changed for UK border control at the end of last year, and work permits are no longer used for non-EU nationals. That was news to me, but I've just checked it, and it's definitely the case. Now, instead, you have to be sponsored by an employer. It's a similar thing, but a different bit of bureaucracy instead.

There is no charge for you (and as far as I can see no charge for employers either, but obviously I've never done it under this new scheme so I can't be sure), but the sponsorship can only come from a legitimate employer who has a licence to do this, which they will have had to apply for at some point. So it comes down to the same thing again: if you want to legally work, find an employer who has a licence to be a sponsor (or is willing to apply for one), and get them to sponsor you as a worker. Otherwise, it's the black market, which means whatever casual work you can pick up where not too many questions are asked, but in this economic climate, you're competing with a lot of other people who also want that work.

As your flights are already booked, you can at least gain entry as a non-working visitor from the US for the period of time given by your dates, without a visa, so you should at least be able to get in the country! Just make sure you have details of where you're going to be staying, and ideally someone here that can vouch for you and some proof of savings ($1500 or more, from a bank statement not more than a month old, would be ideal) that you're going to use to live off. Technically, I don't think you need the last two, but better safe than sorry.

I've found the SWAP program to be very helpful. They always answer my questions very clearly. However, I'm not sure if they have a program there in the USA.

But, you can stay for up to 6 months as a visitor.

If you would like to apply for a visa to work, I would suggest the Working Holidaymaker visa. It allows you to stay and work for up to two years in the UK [ but you can only work part time hours ].

After that, you will need to find another way to stay in the country ie....SO I believe you need to be living with your partner for roughly two years and/or you can get engaged. But I think after an engagement you have six months to have a wedding ceremony.

That's what I've gathered from my research.

If you would like to apply for a visa to work, I would suggest the Working Holidaymaker visa. It allows you to stay and work for up to two years in the UK [ but you can only work part time hours ].

Unfortunately, that particular scheme was closed last December in a change in the law, so that's no longer an option.

after that, you will need to find another way to stay in the country ie....SO I believe you need to be living with your partner for roughly two years and/or you can get engaged. But I think after an engagement you have six months to have a wedding ceremony.

That's what I've gathered from my research.

Sort of. The situation is that if you're coming here from the US as the fiance of a permanent resident in the UK (which iLoveMyBabyCairo isn't, as far as I'm aware?), then you have six months in which to get married or register a civil partnership. Then you have effectively a two-year probation period during which you must be together, and after that you can apply for permanent residency. I'm not aware of any restrictions on the amount of time you need to have been a couple prior to marriage or engagement; the test is for the two years subsequent to marriage, since this is easier to verify.

Oh, there isn't a charge? I had read somewhere that it was like £500 for one of the working things. I have 49 days to get this sorted, but I'm going out of state tomorrow... so I best get on it. Sigh.

No, not engaged or married but will be staying with boyfriend.

This all just confuses me so much. Sigh.

karvala, you have been sooo much help, I seriously appreciate it.

Unfortunately, that particular scheme was closed last December in a change in the law, so that's no longer an option.

Oh, okay. But they have something similar, right? Youth Mobility Scheme...something like that?

Oh, there isn't a charge? I had read somewhere that it was like £500 for one of the working things. I have 49 days to get this sorted, but I'm going out of state tomorrow... so I best get on it. Sigh.

No, not engaged or married but will be staying with boyfriend.

This all just confuses me so much. Sigh.

karvala, you have been sooo much help, I seriously appreciate it.

You're more than welcome. I know how confusing it can all be, and I do hope it will succeed for you somehow.

If things turn up o.k. (don't wanna jinx it) I will be visiting UK too (London to be precise) in September (I'll be staying only 4-5 days.)

I am still in the process of planing.

Now lets all hope I won't bail out at the last moment because I am scared of flying.

I am sorry you're not studying there as you planned. it is also my wish to try that.

hm..I have to check visa thing too!

wow, i was of no help on this thread.

If things turn up o.k. (don't wanna jinx it) I will be visiting UK too (London to be precise) in September (I'll be staying only 4-5 days.)

I am still in the process of planing.

Now lets all hope I won't bail out at the last moment because I am scared of flying.

I am sorry you're not studying there as you planned. it is also my wish to try that.

hm..I have to check visa thing too!

wow, i was of no help on this thread.

If you're coming from the US and staying 4-5 days, you won't need a visa.

Archived