Coupons on a Date

Scorpion Fury

Would you use a coupon on a date?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a coupon on a date?

• HELL no
    • Hell yeah son! A Penny saved is a penny earned.
    • It would depend on what it was for and how long we'd been dating

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose "HELL NO" and meant it. But I'm talking about first dates.

If I was with my bf, then yes, of course! I'd be comfy using a coupon or I wouldn't think twice if he used one.

Using it on the first date.. meh. I'd rather he just took me for ice cream (which only costs a few $) instead of save up thru coupons. Seems tacky.

I chose "HELL NO" and meant it. But I'm talking about first dates.

If I was with my bf, then yes, of course! I'd be comfy using a coupon or I wouldn't think twice if he used one.

Using it on the first date.. meh. I'd rather he just took me for ice cream (which only costs a few $) instead of save up thru coupons. Seems tacky.

I agree completely. If you don't have the money, suggest something that didn't cost much money.

But, if you ask me to go out to a restaurant and then whip out a coupon...I'd be a little...oh, this is why you wanted to go here...weird.

Also, don't take me to a buffet and tell me that I can eat off your plate. That is extremely weird.

My bf and I save money when we can. We usually go for walks, go swimming, or just plain hang out.

I think it would depend on how long i'd been dating them.

First date? no. i would find it tacky. Will they be this 'penny-saving' person all the time? I dont need them to pay for my meal. But for a first date, i dont expect or really want this high priced glamorous meal in an expensive restaurant.

Hell, hot chips sitting on the beach is fine with me! lol.

But if it was a coupon for like pizza or KFC (e.g get 2 meals for $10) or something, thats okay. Guess it depends what the coupon was for. When your actually full in the 'dating stages' it wouldn't bother me. at the start it might.

I agree completely. If you don't have the money, suggest something that didn't cost much money.

Why does using coupons suggest you don't have money? I dunno if they have the same thing in The States, but here we get coupons from our grocery shopping that give 4c a litre off gas (at participating stations). I can afford gas, but it would be stupid not to use the coupon (even though it only saves about 2 bucks a tank... a buck is a buck). I fill up around once a week, a saving of 104 dollars a year. That's a good 3 grand toward my retirement if I continue this way for the next 30 years.

Now how is that any different from using a coupon you have available when you go... ice skating for example? Please explain this to me, I just don't see why using a coupon means someone is 'cheap'. My parents are millionaires and they'll save a buck where a buck can be saved. Just the way I was brought up I guess, don't be stupid with money.

Now how is that any different from using a coupon you have available when you go... ice skating for example? Please explain this to me, I just don't see why using a coupon means someone is 'cheap'. My parents are millionaires and they'll save a buck where a buck can be saved. Just the way I was brought up I guess, don't be stupid with money.

Agree completely. If you can get the same thing for half off, why not? In fact, I recommend coupon use (I mean don't go out of your way, but if there's a good restaurant you wanted to take a girl out to and it was handy) so you can weed out the 90% who would look askance on it.

I can see why people say the coupon on the first date is tacky, because it can be, but in a way, I think it makes a lot of sense. many people go on first dates and don't click and don't go on any more dates with that person. Money wasted. I think a first date should be cheap in case you don't click. But I guess you could also just to something cheap or free to begin with.

I can see why people say the coupon on the first date is tacky, because it can be, but in a way, I think it makes a lot of sense. many people go on first dates and don't click and don't go on any more dates with that person. Money wasted. I think a first date should be cheap in case you don't click. But I guess you could also just to something cheap or free to begin with.

If it was implied that he wanted to use a coupon "just in case we didn't click" I don't think he would be the right guy for me. I'd consider him to be a complete cheapskate. I do agree that you should just do something cheap to begin with. Dinner doesn't have to be expensive!

If it was implied that he wanted to use a coupon "just in case we didn't click" I don't think he would be the right guy for me. I'd consider him to be a complete cheapskate. I do agree that you should just do something cheap to begin with. Dinner doesn't have to be expensive!

I would be put off by a guy that said, "I'm gonna use a coupon in case we don't click", but that's the reality of it. People often don't click or want to go on a second date.

I want to change my vote from Hell no to it depends on how long you date someone.

Now by coupon does that include gift certs? I had a date that used a gift cert on the first date...I kept wondering why he only wanted to go certain places. LOL

In principle, sure, no problem, guys who don't see the danger of this in reality, go right ahead and start thumbing through a stack of coupons on an early date and get back to us.

Been there, done that My G/F liked it 'cos she's cheap like me, but it was like a 5th date. I think you can do the coupon thing surreptitiously too.

Been there, done that My G/F liked it 'cos she's cheap like me, but it was like a 5th date. I think you can do the coupon thing surreptitiously too.

I think a fifth date is fine. Really, anything after the 1st date.

On a first date, it'd make me think "does he just want convienence?".

People judge others harshly on first dates because often they barely even know the person. So, what actions and words you say are magnified to represent you because that's all the person has when it comes to figuring out what kind of person you are. Usually, from my experience, first impressions are wrong. But, when it's all you have to figure out if you should keep dating this person..it's really all you got and you sort of have to rely on it at least a little bit.

It's unfair that coupons are viewed as ways to indicate that a person is "cheap" but I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

i just don't see how using coupons is cheap. to me, it's about being smart and resourceful. i think people get insecure when a (first) date uses a coupon for them. like they think "wow, so i am not worth $50, i am only worth $30?!". come on. that is ridiculous. do girls just want guys to show off to them??

it's only cheap when they stress about where to go and won't go to a place that they can't use a coupon. if they are not generous, then they are being cheap.

It's not cheap at all to use coupons, and women shouldn't be judging their dates as cheap anyhow, but just saying, pull out coupons on an early date is a mighty risky move for a man.

yea i see what you mean. it's the way the dating game works and will most likely not favour someone who pulls out a coupon on the first date, whether there's something really wrong with it or not.

i'm a stubborn person though. if we were going to the movies and i had a coupon for it (whether i was a guy or a girl) i'd use it and wouldn't think twice.

Archived