Coupons on a Date

Scorpion Fury

Would you use a coupon on a date?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a coupon on a date?

• HELL no
    • Hell yeah son! A Penny saved is a penny earned.
    • It would depend on what it was for and how long we'd been dating

don't be cheap. you'd take a girl to happy hour? how cheap man. you have some contradictory posts on this thread man.

I would take myself to happy hour...

i dont take dates to happy hour... lot of people socolize and meet up after work for happy hour.. its a bigger party scene then at night...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a hell yeah! But it would depend. Is he doing it BECAUSE he's actaully a cheapo? Or is it just that he saw the coupong thought cool, I've never been there I'd like a try and what better time than when I've got a coupon?

It would get old real fast if he refused to pay for price for me or thought I didn't deserve it or was just flat out a cheap dude.

Hope that makes sense.

There was even this one girl who would get mad/annoyed at me if: prior to going to a movie, I would go and buy bulk candy from the grocery store instead of paying the ludicrous price at the concession stand in the theatre (A bit off topic, but the same general idea as a coupon)

I would've thought was great!

Okay, I'm going to be completely honest here...

On a first date, I would find it tacky and it might put me off a little. Well, let me rephrase that. If the guy said, "We have to go *xx* because I have a coupon"...THAT would put me off. If he just so happened to have one for the place we mutually decided to go to, and didn't 'gloat' about it, it'd be alright.

If it's someone I've been dating for awhile, bring on the coupons.

I gotta be honest here, on a first date with a guy I wouldn't like it at all. Also I wouldn't like him bringing candy from home or the grocery store. First dates is about putting your best foot forward, about respect, checking the boundaries

Later in the relationship, no problem with any of that

So let's say this.....

A guy wants to take one of you ladies to dinner.

Options:

Fancy Restaurant (with use of coupon)

McDonalds (extreme example)

No Date at all

Obviously the coupon should be used with tact but really you would think "Eh I didn't like that guy because he pulled a coupon out!?" In this day and age?? With the economy as it is?

And furthermore, I'm curious - those of you that would see the coupon as tacky, would you also see a first date (without a meal) as tacky? As an example - a walk, hike, something scheduled without including the meal.

Okay, I'm going to be completely honest here...

On a first date, I would find it tacky and it might put me off a little. Well, let me rephrase that. If the guy said, "We have to go *xx* because I have a coupon"...THAT would put me off. If he just so happened to have one for the place we mutually decided to go to, and didn't 'gloat' about it, it'd be alright.

If it's someone I've been dating for awhile, bring on the coupons.

wait a minute.....you barely have enough to eat at home and you are criticizing a man that treats you to dinner?

So let's say this.....

Options:

No Date at all

Honestly, I don't care where he takes me. If he can't afford the fancy restaurant, I most definitely wouldn't expect him to take me there. Just as long as we can have good conversation and laugh and have a good time.

So let's say this.....

Options:

No Date at all

Somewhere in the middle? How about just a nice cosy place that we'll both enjoy? If doesn't have to be fancy, nor should it be fast food.

I wouldn't expect anyone to take me to a really expensive restaurant for a date. I'm not a big eater, so it would probably be a waste of money anyway.

ILBMC

I think I'm looking at it differently. Your scenario seems to be one where a guy states "We HAVE to go to _______ because I have a coupon, kay?"

Rather my scenario I am imagining is my date picking me up, taking me to the nice restaurant he picked out, having a wonderful dinner and him adding a coupon to the payment or even telling the waiter about the coupon prior to dinner.

And really you wouldn't care where you went to eat? A cheap restaurant would be more offensive to me than using a coupon.

Note: I don't mean that I expect some super high priced expensive restaurant either.

Doesn't bother me. A guy had a coupon on our date, but he tried to hide it from me. It was kind of amusing. Dates can be expensive. Most of my guy friends think it is the tackiest thing ever and say they wouldn't be caught dead with a coupon on a date.

Honestly, if a guy showed up w/ a coupon on a date, I'd be a little taken aback & would probably feel bad & offer to pay my half only b/c I'd feel like he's broke if he brought a coupon. I may even judge him a bit, but that wouldn't be nice of me at all b/c I myself live for coupons.

I'm such a double standard.

Honestly, if a guy showed up w/ a coupon on a date, I'd be a little taken aback & would probably feel bad & offer to pay my half only b/c I'd feel like he's broke if he brought a coupon. I may even judge him a bit, but that wouldn't be nice of me at all b/c I myself live for coupons.

Yes, this is exactly how I'd feel! In fact, I usually offer to pay anyway.

ILBMC

I think I'm looking at it differently. Your scenario seems to be one where a guy states "We HAVE to go to _______ because I have a coupon, kay?"

Rather my scenario I am imagining is my date picking me up, taking me to the nice restaurant he picked out, having a wonderful dinner and him adding a coupon to the payment or even telling the waiter about the coupon prior to dinner.

And really you wouldn't care where you went to eat? A cheap restaurant would be more offensive to me than using a coupon.

Note: I don't mean that I expect some super high priced expensive restaurant either.

No, I don't care. I've went from everywhere from places like The Melting Pot (or higher, but they're not chain restaurants) to diners for first dates. Both have been equally enjoyable. ITG, I'm a student and most of the guys I date are students...so I guess I'm just used to going cheap on dates.

I guess I'm a little put off because I HAVE had guys say, "we're going *xx* because I have a coupon"

I would have no problem if my date used coupons, regardless of how long we had been dating (I would even encourage it). However, I probably wouldn't use a coupon on a first date or if we are a relatively couple, just because I don't know how I would be judged.

In the past I've had dates look at me as if I'm some cheap bastard if I used a coupon.

There was even this one girl who would get mad/annoyed at me if: prior to going to a movie, I would go and buy bulk candy from the grocery store instead of paying the ludicrous price at the concession stand in the theatre (A bit off topic, but the same general idea as a coupon)

I always always bring my own food/drink into movies, even if I'm not supposed to. I always have a large purse b/c I'm a large purse kind of girl, so I always bring a ziploc bag of strawberries or crackers or something & a bottle of Fuze w/ me. No shame.

I always always bring my own food/drink into movies, even if I'm not supposed to. I always have a large purse b/c I'm a large purse kind of girl, so I always bring a ziploc bag of strawberries or crackers or something & a bottle of Fuze w/ me. No shame.

soulmates.

No, I don't care. I've went from everywhere from places like The Melting Pot (or higher, but they're not chain restaurants) to diners for first dates. Both have been equally enjoyable. ITG, I'm a student and most of the guys I date are students...so I guess I'm just used to going cheap on dates.

I guess I'm a little put off because I HAVE had guys say, "we're going *xx* because I have a coupon"

Hehe - So going to a diner combined with coupon = real bad, right? Am I following?

lol

Oh and taking movie stuff..... I live by it - No way am I paying such marked up prices.

I'm all for saving money whenever possible. If a guy was just a cheapass in general, it would be a turn off for me. But so would a guy that was irresponsible with his money. If our dates had to revolve around coupons, it wouldn't work for me. And I'd probably be turned off if the coupon was for a really insignificant amount, I dunno why. Like if he was buying our movie tickets and said "Hold on i got a coupon for that! 50 cent off!" but if he had a coupon for a nice restaurant that we liked anyway or two for one drinks or some place really cool we wanted to try, I'd be all for it.

Hehe - So going to a diner combined with coupon = real bad, right? Am I following?

lol

Oh and taking movie stuff..... I live by it - No way am I paying such marked up prices.

Hahahha, I know I'm contradicting myself--sorry! I'm just weird about things

But, basically--I don't care where we go. In general, first date coupons are tacky.

amazing. i've never been to happy hour before. thanks.

then dont come at me... like i am contradicten myself...

yes coupons are great.. who in the world doesnt want something for free or more for less..

all i said theres a times and a place for them...

i would rather use my 2 for 1 when i am with my friends, and we split the bill thats less... then when i am on a date...

On a first date, coupons are tacky. If he's using one for an expensive fancy restaurant, take me to a less fancy restaurant that's cheaper (not mcdonalds or anything--thats extreme cheap). I think if you start off taking a girl to an expensive fancy restaurant, then that's the standard you have to maintian throughout the relationship. But if you start out at a coffee shop or ice cream place & feel out boundaries like someone else said, I'd be much more interested. I don't need to be impressed. I'm there to have fun & to see if we click.

Eventually, if we start dating, bring on the coupons. Don't start out though by saying "for our first date, let's go to ____ b/c I have a coupon". I think that's tacky.

Archived