Animal rights.

Mavh25

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
link removed

It's appalling just reading it, I can't imagine even watching it. What the heck is wrong with those researchers? And to think they're professionals, DOCTORS, doing this? It's so utterly disgusting I can't even process it. This really made me cry:

The footage shows the researchers laughing at injured baboons, performing electrocautery on an apparently conscious baboon, smoking cigarettes and pipes during surgery, and playing loud music as the animals are injured. A researcher is seen holding a seriously injured baboon up to the camera, while others speak to the animal: "Don't be shy now, sir, nothing to be afraid of," followed by laughter, and "He says, 'you're gonna rescue me from this, aren't you? Aren't you?'," followed by more laughter.

I hope all these people get what they deserve one day.

...and this is just ridiculous:

Dr. Thomas Langfitt, chief investigator at the Head Injury Clinic and chair of the University of Pennsylvania Hospital's department of neurosurgery, denied there had been abuse in the laboratory, telling the Philadelphia Daily News that the animals had been treated humanely and that "[r]esearchers would never laugh at the apes. We treat the baboons the way we treat human beings."

How can they deny what's been caught on film??

It's appalling just reading it, I can't imagine even watching it. What the heck is wrong with those researchers? And to think they're professionals, DOCTORS, doing this? It's so utterly disgusting I can't even process it. This really made me cry:

The footage shows the researchers laughing at injured baboons, performing electrocautery on an apparently conscious baboon, smoking cigarettes and pipes during surgery, and playing loud music as the animals are injured. A researcher is seen holding a seriously injured baboon up to the camera, while others speak to the animal: "Don't be shy now, sir, nothing to be afraid of," followed by laughter, and "He says, 'you're gonna rescue me from this, aren't you? Aren't you?'," followed by more laughter.

I hope all these people get what they deserve one day.

Conversely;

"When PETA made its 26-minute film available, the OPRR initially refused to investigate because the film had been edited from 60 hours of videotape. For over a year PETA refused to release the original footage. When they eventually handed over the unedited material, the OPRR discovered that the footage of the brain damage being inflicted involved just one baboon out of the 150 who had received the Penn 2 injuries. The film gave the impression that the brain-damage scenes involved several animals.[12]

The OPRR identified 25 errors in Newkirk's voice-over commentary. One example was where an accidental water spill over a conscious baboon during a surgical procedure was identified, incorrectly, by one of the Head Injury Clinic's researchers, and subsequently by Newkirk, as an acid spill.[13][7]"

This is why what ever side your on there will always be biased extreme views that are completely out of the true context.

...and this is just ridiculous:

Dr. Thomas Langfitt, chief investigator at the Head Injury Clinic and chair of the University of Pennsylvania Hospital's department of neurosurgery, denied there had been abuse in the laboratory, telling the Philadelphia Daily News that the animals had been treated humanely and that "[r]esearchers would never laugh at the apes. We treat the baboons the way we treat human beings."

How can they deny what's been caught on film??

He can deny it due to the gross negligence of PETA and therefore no laws were violated.

I just finished reading that too. I'm a little confused with what's in bold. Does that mean every one of the 150 baboons received Penn-2 injuries but only one had brain damage inflicted upon? Isn't Penn-2 already the brain damage inflicted? A hydraulic device known as Penn 2 slams the baboon's head from behind, pushing it forward at a 60-degree angle with a force of what the researchers said was up to 1,000 g, apparently intended to simulate whiplash. Either way, even if it WAS only one baboon who had brain damage inflicted upon, who had his ear torn off, whose head was dislodged using a hammer and screwdriver, operated on without any anesthesia, that's one monkey too many. It makes you wonder why they wouldn't treat them all the same.

I agree with JadedStar that to watch these kinds of horrific things, over and over again, does no good. It's just going to make you feel terrible.

The part you have to focus on is:

Sixty hours of audio- and video-tape were removed from the laboratory during a raid in May 1984 by the link removed, who handed it over to PETA. It was subsequently edited down to 26 minutes with a voice-over commentary by Newkirk, before being distributed to the media and to Congress. As a result of the publicity, the lab was closed down, the chief veterinarian fired, and the university placed on probation.

Awareness was raised and action was taken in 1984 to STOP the atrocious things that were taking place there. One more place that abused animals was eliminated...one more small step in the right direction.

We just have to keep moving in the right direction.

I just finished reading that too. I'm a little confused with what's in bold. Does that mean every one of the 150 baboons received Penn-2 injuries but only one had brain damage inflicted upon? Isn't Penn-2 already the brain damage inflicted? A hydraulic device known as Penn 2 slams the baboon's head from behind, pushing it forward at a 60-degree angle with a force of what the researchers said was up to 1,000 g, apparently intended to simulate whiplash. Either way, even if it WAS only one baboon who had brain damage inflicted upon, who had his ear torn off, whose head was dislodged using a hammer and screwdriver, operated on without any anesthesia, that's one monkey too many. It makes you wonder why they wouldn't treat them all the same.

Bub, they are saying that PETA over exagerated because the footage made it look like brain damage was inflicted with the Penn 2 on lots of different monkeys when really it was just one, cos thats so much better, is'nt it.

Jaded, meh, I know what you mean. I only watched a couple of clips, thats all I can really watch but I was just reading up on the history and credibility of the PETA, I havent watched any other videos, cos you're right i'd just be a mess over it.

Bella, havent watched it over n over, just watched 2 little parts of it and read about it.

I was a vegetarian for many years, but my health suffered greatly for it. Now, in middle age, I am extremely hypoglycemic and become anemic very easily. I lost too much weight being a vegetarian. I have a high metabolism and I don't eat a lot of junk. I was 5'8" and weighed a hefty 115 pounds! I started eating meat and my energy and health improved, though I still have to be careful. I am an animal lover and do not believe in most animal testing that is being done and I will not wear fur. I will wear leather, though. I've worked with cattle and they are a nasty animal for the most part. Any other animal skin if off limits for me. I oppose PETA's methods, though. I know so many people that might have become anti-fur or vegetarians but decided they didn't want to become "like those PETA idiots". I think PETA does more harm than good for the animal rights movement.

• 2 weeks later...

pigs are actually one of the most highly intellegent farm animals btw.

i think now the difference is that they are mainly raised for food and they arent as beautiful as horses or typically used as companion animals.

which is why someone will eat bacon, but not horse.

pigs are actually one of the most highly intellegent farm animals btw.

i think now the difference is that they are mainly raised for food and they arent as beautiful as horses or typically used as companion animals.

which is why someone will eat bacon, but not horse.

Oh I know, they're highly intelligent, even moreso than dogs. I always wanted a pet pig

• 1 month later...
link removed

What the hell? why? just why? I don't get it atall...

The worst part was

"If we insert human disease-related genes in them, we can use them as great model to study diseases."

They stand little chance of having any kind of quality of life.

-born cloned and they will likely die painful unnescessary deaths-

There is a horrible animal rights record (especially for dogs) in the place the "research" is occurring so I can't say I'm at all surprised that someone thought it was a good idea to make dogs glow in the dark there.

Awww, I've seen this.

You can find other videos about narcoleptic dogs. Some owners get so depressed about it while others just find their dogs quirky and different.

It's really sad in the video you linked because they actually stimulate the dog and cause it to fall asleep. If you are really that depressed about it and feel like the dog is being tortured by the disease, maybe you shouldn't cause the dog to fall asleep by getting it riled up.

If you look up 'Snoozy', you'll find a lighter side to narcolepsy in dogs, I feel.

Yeah I've seen snoozy.

I think the video for that little poodle, as they said in the vid was to look at his symptoms and try to come up with a good treatment for it, and they were looking at the effects of the anti depressants on him too, which are'nt working too well.

and he falls asleep taking a walk, it would be unfair of them not to take him for walks, and eating too.. bless him, but they can't rightly not do that...

Archived