Animal rights.

Mavh25

Hi all, I'm writing this because I was deeply affected by what I saw yesterday, I can't even begin to explain how much. I just need to get it out my system I think. I just was in such a mess over it, I phoned my mum for some sort of comfort... I had nightmares over it last night, I keep getting 1 particular image in my head and I cry everytime and I can't make it stop.. sounds over the top, but if you'd seen it..

I have been reading up on alot of it today, and I was curious as to whether there are any animal rights activists on here. How many of you are vegetarians? I actually went vegetarian 6 months ago.

I was so shocked by what I saw I want to do something, I know the whole vegetarianism is'nt any massive impact, but I feel like its 1 small part of what I could be doing. But I don't know where to begin, I've seen the shock treatment the PETA uses and whereas some of it is way too much, like the video I watched, it actually works because now I feel like I don't want to sit still and talk about it without actually trying to do something, but what can you do?

Does anyone have any idea where to start?

I have really never seen anything like it, I never knew something so horrifying went on and I think even the non-squeamish/non-animal lovers would of had a hard time not feeling anything.

Anyone?

Please don't turn this into any sort of debate, I get that people have their views.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really a political thread. Animal cruelty is a HUGE issue for me. I was a vegetarian for years and it just takes one person to make a difference. I've been involved in protests against certain chain restaurants. I've written long thesis papers about it. It's heartbreaking.

I eat minimal meat now (substitute soy when I can)...cage free always...eggs are also cage free. I just try to do my part as much as I can.

Never wear fur, nor leather.

I am a vegetarian. A lot of the products are icky, that is why I eat one thing for a few weeks, then change it new thing for a few weeks, lol. In Los Angeles its easy to find vegan restaurants everywhere else, well its rare. I thought you were talking about the puppy that got thrown out a window.

I don't eat eggs, I don't drink milk. Milk is just purely disgusting to me. Eggs I had an incident when I was little where I cracked one and purple blood came out. Ya never again ate eggs.

I haven't seen the fur farm one. I won't let myself.

My papers have mainly focused on animal cruelty in the food service. Those absolutely killed me. I felt like such a hypocrite because I had eaten meat in the past and still eat some today.

Ah, Cairo, I really advise you don't.

No redhearts, havent seen that one! thank god. This one was bad enough, I've seen the tiger farm videos, thats just horrific. I used to walk past fur protestors outside a shop in my city back home and they had pictures on boards, but nothing like this. They skin them alive, the agony they're in....

I went vegan for a short amount of time but it just got too difficult to avoid milk and eggs.

I plan to try again later in life when I have the time and money for it.

Vegan is so hard!!! I did it for about 6 months I think. But, it got really expensive and hard to plan my meals dining out ("Can you make sure there is NO egg, butter, milk, etc. in that!?").

I'm sorry - I don't know what it is you are referring to that you watched that impacted you so deeply?

I was eating a veg diet for 7 years. I've thought this issue to death and come to my own place of where I can stand on it. At present, I do eat meat. That is only one part of the equation for me - the point is, I do follow my own ethical code when it comes to animal rights and abuses and it plays a part in my life.

You may be interested in the doc about the Co-founder of PETA for interests sakes called "I am animal" (Ingrid ..).

Yeah, vegan is pretty difficult I imagine, must be particularly hard going out with friends to restaurants and such.

What did you eat mostly DW?

I switched (and am still switched) to drinking soy milk. It was basically impossible to eat out though. People have vegetarian options but rarely food that doesn't contain both milk and eggs.

It was an easy switch taste wise as I found the soy food substitutes to be just as tasty as the foods they were attempting to taste like.

A lot of foods that you wouldn't think are vegan. Such as ritz crackers and a lot of snack foods.

However, your options definitely are limited when eating at a cafeteria, like I do.

ah, the fur farm video... i watched the raccoon get skinned and couldnt watch the next one. it was close to torture just having to view it.

i saw it when i was 17.

it was pretty terrible.

Its been that long? wow

I saw the racoon, then I skipped past it to this one particular point in the video and thats when I literally jumped out my skin.. it was unbelievable.

I saw almost 30 seconds of the video, and it affected my majorly, no way I could watch a whole one.

I'm sorry - I don't know what it is you are referring to that you watched that impacted you so deeply?

I was eating a veg diet for 7 years. I've thought this issue to death and come to my own place of where I can stand on it. At present, I do eat meat. That is only one part of the equation for me - the point is, I do follow my own ethical code when it comes to animal rights and abuses and it plays a part in my life.

You may be interested in the doc about the Co-founder of PETA for interests sakes called "I am animal" (Ingrid ..).

Thanks itsallgrand

I am talking about the chinese fur farm video on from the PETA, its awful.

I switched (and am still switched) to drinking soy milk. It was basically impossible to eat out though. People have vegetarian options but rarely food that doesn't contain both milk and eggs.

It was an easy switch taste wise as I found the soy food substitutes to be just as tasty as the foods they were attempting to taste like.

A lot of foods that you wouldn't think are vegan. Such as ritz crackers and a lot of snack foods.

However, your options definitely are limited when eating at a cafeteria, like I do.

Wow, I can't imagine being vegan eating cafeteria food! That would be near impossible!

I switched to soymilk about 8 years ago and haven't switched back since. At least it's ONE little think I can do

Its been that long? wow

I saw the racoon, then I skipped past it to this one particular point in the video and thats when I literally jumped out my skin.. it was unbelievable.

I saw almost 30 seconds of the video, and it affected my majorly, no way I could watch a whole one.

yeah. its an old video.

thing is i can sit there and watch cattle being slaughtered all day, but watching all the way through the raccoon disturbed me on a multitude of levels.

it bothers me still. and i would never click on that link again.

Archived