Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing...because it kinda is.

I was living with my boyfriend for 8 months (now ex) and was having my mail sent there. After he dumped me it meant I had to move out, and it was in a rush since the breakup was bad. I had mail forwarding with the USPS but didn't think to do it with UPS.

I had something on auto-ship every 4 months and forgot about with all that was going on and some DVDs (sent USPS) made it through a couple of weeks after I left even though I had the address forwarding.

OK, now the other day I received a bill from the stuff that was on autoship (sent UPS) since I completely forgot about it, so that means he was able to take the account number/information on the invoice and changed the billing address to where I am now. I looked up the tracking number on the bill, and it said it was sent and delivered months ago to the place him and me were living at together.

On the bill it says it was shipped 3 months ago. The DVDs were also delivered around that time. We've been LC these last few months and he even sent me an e-card for my bday in October, sent a nasty e-mail to my dad and didn't mention receiving anything in the mail for me. So, it seems like a sneaky move on his part to not mention it at all or what to do with it?

Since I'm still getting the bill for it, that means he didn't just return it to the sender and put the DVDs back in the mail box or bring them to the post office saying that I don't live there anymore and I'm guessing he still has them and kept them?

I'm in NC now, and don't feel like breaking it and asking him about, since he isn't the easiest to talk to and will just say something like I didn't mention it so it's my fault.

Should I just call the companies up and tell them what happened so I don't keep getting the bill? File a complaint? The DVDs are around $120 and the other stuff is $40, so not a whole lot.

The first thing you should do is either change the shipping address or cancel the auto-order. I know you're on NC but it's pretty obvious that he just kept your stuff. Don't ask him about it, just tell him you're coming over to get your DVDs & ask him to have it ready for you. If he gives you crap & says he didn't get it, tell him you have the invoice that it was shipped to his house. If he still denies it, you should contact UPS & tell them what happened, because purposefully stealing mail is illegal.

I don't see a reason to contact the DVD company. They won't cancel the outstanding bill because they just kept doing what you told them to do. Although understandable, It wasn't their fault you forgot to cancel.

It's up to you. Is breaking NC worth $160 in stuff to you?

i think you should just give him a call. you don't have to talk about anything other than your stuff. tell him to ship them to you and you'll cover the shipping cost if you don't want to see him. and make sure you change your address for the stuff on auto-ship. i wouldn't want my ex keeping my dvd's just on principle.

The first thing you should do is either change the shipping address or cancel the auto-order. I know you're on NC but it's pretty obvious that he just kept your stuff. Don't ask him about it, just tell him you're coming over to get your DVDs & ask him to have it ready for you. If he gives you crap & says he didn't get it, tell him you have the invoice that it was shipped to his house. If he still denies it, you should contact UPS & tell them what happened, because purposefully stealing mail is illegal.

I don't see a reason to contact the DVD company. They won't cancel the outstanding bill because they just kept doing what you told them to do. Although understandable, It wasn't their fault you forgot to cancel.

It's up to you. Is breaking NC worth $160 in stuff to you?

I was going to contact the company since he was able to change the billing address with the account number on the packing slip, all he needed was the account numbers to log in, and there's a credit card on it, which has been canceled since. It was one of those things you order once and they automatically enroll you in auto-shipments like 4-6 months later which is why I kinda forgot about it.

Besides the DVDs, the thing in the other package was gourmet coffees stuff which could probably be long gone by now, but I have the tracking number for it that it was delivered. The DVDs were workout/fitness ones, so I'm not sure what he'd be doing with them.

It's not really the money, although it would of been nice to get my stuff, I guess it's the principal of it. He kept the stuff and switched the bill to me. 3-4 months ago there was still alot of contact were he could of mentioned getting this stuff. I already called the police and they said he should of just marked the stuff back to UPS/USPS saying I no longer lived there.

Wow, so he changed the billing address so you would receive the bill but not the items? That is so wrong. I guess it's worth a shot calling the company. I would bet they would have sympathy for you, but since the bill is in your name they will still hold you responsible for paying it.

Maybe he just kept the items because he was pissed at you. If you're on better terms now, maybe it would be better to start off with a polite approach toward him. If he doesn't cooperate at that point, unleash the beast!

I went ahead and canceled the autoship thing and the place will resend the stuff to my current address for the current bill. They didn't seem to care much someone else went into my account to change the address. The DVDs seem a bit out of luck...

I contacted UPS and they don't do anything. I'm going to contact USPS for the DVDs, there were 3 of them, but no tracking numbers... but it's hard to believe he didn't get atleast 1 of them.

I'm surprised this type of stuff is so easy to get away with these days.

Archived