South Beach Diet - all phases...let's loose that weight!!

chasey

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you!!! I feel good too. Except for a headache. I don't feel hungry though, I feel satisfied. And I actually have no real cravings. (I am a sucker for chocolate) But I will indulge in a SB chocolate pudding later I will be SOOO happy in 2 weeks, fitting into my college jeans again! Yuppeeee!

Good for you all for taking the initiative to lose some of the extra pounds...a word of caution to any of you who haven't tried this before, though...if you have a family history of diabetes or hypoglycemia, be careful not to cut out too much sugar. I tried SB not realizing that it could be an issue and my blood sugar dropped to a point where I should not have been coherent.

Well what do you guys think? Maybe I can add like 5 grapes every other morning (I have some left over in the fridge anyway, was trying to decide what to do with them!) Grapes have higher sugar compared to other fruit right?

What do you think PixelPusher? would that stop the ketosis?

Well what do you guys think? Maybe I can add like 5 grapes every other morning (I have some left over in the fridge anyway, was trying to decide what to do with them!) Grapes have higher sugar compared to other fruit right?

What do you think PixelPusher? would that stop the ketosis?

I'm not an expert but I would think that grapes would stop ketosis, yes. If you're concerned then I'd see a doctor and get tested but just because someone in your family is diabetic doesn't mean you are. My father is diabetic and I'm doing just fine...

You may get better advice from the south beach forum link that was posted back a couple of pages ago...

I just read something:

Phase 1 - Induction

Phase 1 is most definitely a low-carb phase where most carbohydrates (and all starchy carbs) are completely eliminated. Agatston emphasizes that this phase should never go beyond 2-3 weeks. This phase causes the most weight loss (Agatston claims 8-13 pounds).

To be honest, out of all aspects of the South Beach Diet, phase 1 is the only thing that I question. Agatston claims this phase is required in order to "break sugar addiction". I really wonder whether this is necessary. Many people find this phase quite hard, and I wonder whether it is a nod to instant gratification. Dropping carbs out of your diet often results in rapid weight loss for a short period, some will be fat, some may be muscle, and a lot will be loss of water.

So I will make sure that in phase 2 I do little weight activities, situps, pushups, legups Anything I can throughout the day whenever I have a spare moment. And I will make sure I drink enough water! I want the weight I lost to be REAL.

Breakfast idea:

Small pan, pour non-stick spray thing (theres ones with canola oil), half tbs of olive oil,

some ground beef...stir slowly until brown or crispy. add seasoning (i put black pepper and garlic powder) add eggs..stir...

serve with cheese melted on top or on the side, cold.

you can also add tomatoes before the eggs, and close lid till they get mushy...

enjoy!

I think that you will lose water weight no matter how much water you drink, which is why you seem to lose more in phase 1. The carbs help store water, which you eliminate.

I think it is rather useful if you are bloated as have eaten too much salty processed foods. Or if you need to get outside of the world of always eating bread, pasta etc...

Water weight is some of the loss but he also emphasizes routine exercise and LOTS of water consumption during Phase I as well. That makes sure to flush the toxins and junk from your system while making sure you're burning mostly fat.

The other aspect of Phase I is to break your mental addiction to carbs/sugar/etc. It helps reduce your cravings and teaches you a new WAY of eating. So yes, you probably can sneak by Phase I and lose weight, but still "cheat" every once in a while. But that's not the point.... because you're still falling victim to your cravings. So when you move onto Phases II and III, you still haven't broken those bad eating habits. Pretty soon the "oh, it won't hurt just this once" becomes more and more often.

There are reasons why he wants us to eat certain things and at certain times. That's why eating breakfast is important, whether you feel like it or not. You've gotten in a habit of not eating but if you start eating breakfast you kick-start your metabolism for the day. If you don't eat, you have this hard uphill climb to get energized, and are at more of a risk for bad food cravings, etc.

Hope this helps.

Good morning Day 2!!!!

hike - my mom has diabetes and I didn't have any probs last time I did phase I. Oh, and those grapes you have in the fridge you can freeze, they're a good snack frozen!

I think people find phase I hard becaue it is breaking those cravings which is never easy. I like it not because of the quick weight loss but just to get rid of wanting all that junk food all the time.

I agree 100% - I want the weight loss to be real too, that's the only way to really keep it off. I've been getting on the treadmill at least 3-4 times a week and drinking lots of water too.

Scale this morning said I'd lost 1 lb too and I don't feel as bloated, felt good considering I caved and had that small halloween yesterday!

Pixel - you're so right about the cheating in phase I, we did that last time and then in phase II were doing the "it won't hurt this once thing" before we knew it we'd totally slipped back into our old habits!!

Archived