Now feeling guilty, need approval (or straightening out)

I  

36 members have voted

1. 1. I

• am a sanctimonious jerk who should mind his own business
    • am a over-concerned busy-body citizen but that's OK
    • did the right thing
    • should probably just let it go and let "chance" befall him (roving security - maybe he's lucky, maybe not)

i am not the 'mind your own business' type person.. but in this case you never know. he could have been one of those people who were handicapped and looked normal. ... who then forgot to use his sticker or mirror hangy thingy.

you never know.

personally i dont care enough about what happens in the hadicapped space. what happens there stays there.

Well, it was the injustice of it all, plus I'm in kind of a bad mood today. Usually I fall into the catagory 4 camp but for some reason this guy really "irked" me. Just the way he walked, he seemed to be so privilaged with such a sense of entitlment, so fearless, so "I can do anything I want" - I got all pissed about it.

Plus I have a wheelchair-bound friend who is the most positive, determined, couragous person I ever met.

however: it is in my nature to be totall "mind my own business" kind of person. I'm not sure what came over me today and now I'm feeling "whaaaaaat was that"?

This morning I saw someone park in a handicapped parking spot. He leaped out of the car, grabbed his backpack, continued talking on his cell and walked/ran vigorously to class. There was no handicapped sticker on his car.

So I called security to have his car tagged and possibly towed.

Am I

You did the right thing. You put some time and effort in doing the right thing. In today’s world, we just don’t care hence need more people like you.

My two cents.

I dunno.... part of me feels EXACTLY like you.... people like this irk the heck outta me too, I'm right there with ya.

But then I also kinda feel like EQD... you never know what someone else's situation might be, what their explanation is.

Truthfully, yeah, you probably did do the right thing... and if he has an explanation for his behavior, he can give it to the officer or whatever.

Personally though, I'm a 'let karma bite them in the rear' type most of the time. I had arrogant jerks who think they own the world, but I have a hard time being a tattler too... dunno, that make me a wus? Maybe.

I think you did the right thing because people who are handicapped do have either a permanent plate or a sticker... and if someone who is genuinely handicapped needs that space and the other person is parked there, then the handicapped person wouldn't have a place to park. The whole intent of those spaces is to provide them easy access under the law since many with special vans and walking ability can't hike the parking lot.

If you saw someone who ran red lights or drove drunk it would also be appropriate to call and report them. It's not about just 'punishing' the person who did wrong, but about protecting those who are harmed by the wrongdoing, in this case handicapped people.

I think you did the right thing. I'm not sure that it will teach him the lesson he needs to be a better person and consider others more, but it may be a bit of a wake up call.

I think people need to stand up for what's right and do things like this. I get impulses all the time to get out of my car and pick up the still lit cigarette butts people throw into the street and kindly return them to their owners at a traffic light... but out of fear of being shot I just grumble to myself and pray that one day there will be a Judgment Day for litterers where they wake up and every piece of garbage they ever tossed appears in their bed with them.

If they do NOT have a hadicapped designation they do not have a reason or excuse. If he has one and presents it, fine he is not in trouble, if he doesn't too bad obey the law. laws are not made so we can obey them when we have the time or feel like it.

This is completely correct. The guy is definitely in the wrong here.

But I can still understand that feeling you get from feeling bad about being the one to tell on someone or rat them out. It isn't that you are wrong for doing so.... just feels guilty to feel like a nark sometimes.

There was actually an undercover investigation on the local news last night about people that use the handicap spaces illegally. I think it is just wrong and you most certainly did the right thing. If he has a legit permit to park there, then no harm no foul.

I remember taking my father to the doctor, he had a handicapped permit and placard. I was circling and circling the parking lot trying to find a space, any space at this point it wouldn't have mattered much. I saw this one guy sitting in his car, parked in the handicapped spot. So, it's hot and I'm tired and my father is cranky, I muster the courage to ask him if he is going to leave anytime soon.

Man: oh did you want this space?

Me: Umm, I only circled the lot like 5 times trying to find an available space.

Man: Oh my bad, I was just waiting for my girlfriend.

Me: Waiting for you girlfriend? You do know this is a handicapped space right?

Man: Yeah I know, she doesn't like to walk far.

Me:

I would be careful before you did that. Some people look completely normal but do have existing conditions that warrant the handicapped space. I have seen people look perfectly normal, but when I followed the into the store, I saw why they were allowed a handicapped space. If you are 100% sure this guy was not handicapped (don't know how you could tell without knowing him) I'd say you very much did the right thing.

I would be careful before you did that. Some people look completely normal but do have existing conditions that warrant the handicapped space. I have seen people look perfectly normal, but when I followed the into the store, I saw why they were allowed a handicapped space. If you are 100% sure this guy was not handicapped (don't know how you could tell without knowing him) I'd say you very much did the right thing.

that was my thought too.

there really is no way of knowing.. a funny thought.. what if he was really hadicapped and forgot to put his sticker up.. then he comes back out and his car is gone. So now he has to go get it from the car pound or wherever they take stray vehicles.. Then you just made a handicapped guy's life alot more miserable.

think of the guilt.. just think about it.

I know i was reading or watching something about a girl who had a medical condition, like sun sensitivity or something.. and she was hadicapped, but everytime she would park in a handi spot and get out people around her would look down on her and stare at her like she was a piece of trash.

They didnt know what she had. They just assumed she was 'normal' and taking advantage of a space.

that story stuck in my mind for some reason......

Those people typically have it on their license plate and have placards. Trust me, they don't forget them.

The cars don't usually get towed, they get a pricey ticket. If they are legit, all they have to do is show that they had the placard issued to them prior to the ticket date and they will be okay.

It's just like anything else, too many people just want to take advantage.

maybe he was late picking up his handicapped/special needs brother. how do you feel now?

i wouldn't have done it unless it was like the guy hit another car and drove off and parked a few spaces over or something. then it's an obligation. i don't know this person's situation, so ....

Archived