My house, she should pay rent?

smiles21

Again, if it weren't for you subsidizing her, she would have to pay the rent. It's not your job to put her thru school.

Honestly, i wouldn't expect a man to carry me by picking up the rent while i went to school. If i were married and we'd agree that i would go to school and he would work while i was in school so that we could meet joint goals, then that would be fine.

But she is just your girlfriend, not your wife. You are setting a precedent for being the old fashioned bread winner if you accept her living rent free in your house.

The right thing to do might be for her to move home with her parents if she can't afford to pay her own way rather than expecting you to fill the parent role and pay for her. So if she doesn't contribute sufficient to what she can pay, then perhaps the answer is for her to move out.

What you know - whether you want to acnkowledge it or not - is that she believes in exchange for sex and her doing the dishes - she should live there for no funds out of pocket...becuase she has bills she wants to be.

The phrase "who's her daddy" - comes to mind - and she's treating you like "daddy".

The right thing to do might be for her to move home with her parents if she can't afford to pay her own way rather than expecting you to fill the parent role and pay for her. So if she doesn't contribute sufficient to what she can pay, then perhaps the answer is for her to move out.

I agree with BSBH as well. And honestly, her outburst is quite surprising. If she knows that she owes you money, why the childish tantrum?

The fact that she cant pick up more shifts at work is NOT your fault and if she can't support herself, she should move back to her parents' place. And if she finds that she cant swing her lifestyle within her budget, then maybe she needs to cut out some stuff that's not as essential -- like getting rid of her cell phone or taking public transportation to work or carpooling with someone, packing meals to take to work, etc.

I think its fair to ask her for money for rent but you have to see her money situation as well as yours. I am thinking she needs help with money herself. How can she give you more than what she dont have?

Instead of a set amount, I think you both have to talk and see where she is comfortable of giving and not by your standards.

She is living with you to be with you. Like you said, she can live with her parents for free. Why would she spend the extra to live with you and be striated with money?

Now, if she doesnt have any parents and she have no choice but to pay rent elsewhere, then thats a different story.

But in your case, you just got to pay to play.

A little off topic.

$1200 a month ??? Where do you live in NY that have a house for $1200 mortgage.?

You cant even get a decent bathroom here in CA for that amount.

I would assume NY is 10 times worse.

Archived