not posted for a while.. mostly bcuz of lack of time..but I think I need some advice

So I have never had any psychiatrist meetings or ever seen one, as I never had a problem (or thought I didn’t)..

But since the last 2 years, I've experienced some weird things about the way I perceive the world and my life..

Didn’t think much of it.. As I thought it was normal and similar with everybody..

Well.. I happened to take psychology this year in my university studies, and read about obsessive-compulsive disorder… and bingo.. All the things I had gone through were symptoms of it..

Some examples are:

1. Counting: I literally count my steps and try to make them odd numbered (…?!?)

2. Checking: I check locks a LOT and worry about things like that (security)

3. I have this thing where I CANNOT, just cant accept criticism AT ALL.. Its really getting to me.. (eg.. My mom tells me not to do sumthing, and I get mad at her, knowing shez rite…only to feel bad for it later but not knowing how to apologize) and also worse with friends.. When they say something to me (negative), I get pissed, ;like REALLY pissed, but don’t want to start an argument so keep it all inside..and act like its all ok..

4. This is related to above: I do things to make others feel better.. Even if it makes me work more or cause pain to myself

5. I have big time obsessions.. (I can spend hours or days on the internet without stopping, going on the same sites again and again, and not think about studying).. And this has led to my marks going REALLY DOWN..

6. I cant concentrate on studying

7. Reading is getting harder and harder .. (like I have to read a paragraph 3 or 4 times before I make sense of it… and usually go through sentences word by word, trying to understand their meaning as reading it all together doesn’t mean anything..)

8. reading/listening to complex (nothing megacomplex.. it could even be as simple as some1 telling me the time and place to meet.. i have to think it through and still manage to 4get it at times) sentences really gets me going as i have to hear/read them again (or go ver it in my head) to make sense of it..

9. And TALKING!! That’s my biggest challenge.. No kidding.. I find it impossible to talk to any1.. Literally.. A N Y O N E.. -------lemme xplain a bit.. When I start talking to sum1.. I STOP thinking, and just say whatever comes to mind, be it what should be said or not.. And its usually embarrassing.. So that’s led me to become less social within the past few months..

And some others that I cant think of rite now..

Oh and the last couple are not symptoms of OCD (as far as I know) but of a type of schizophrenia .. Which I might have….i really dont actually know..

I know I need to see a psychiatrist but I don’t want to..

Its not sumthing I find easy talking about (especially to my parents) and I don’t want them thinking im a psycho..

Please offer me some advice.. It will be greatly appreciated

First off, we can't diagnose you. YOu really need to talk to a therapist.

Secondly, just based on this post alone and you knowing it is not a professional opinion I would not say schizophrenia is involved here at all. Your symptoms are just not characteristic of this illness in my humble opinion.

OCD..very likely. But even that I do not think your symptoms are characteristic of severe OCD. Very mild.

Almost every person on earth has taken a psych class or read something on the net about a mental disorder and thought WOW! I have all of those! But reality is that these disorders all seem to have underlying similarities to other things that are not truly disorders but personality type, lack of motivation and discipline, insecurity or mild phobias.

Do not diagnose based on what you read on the internet or in books. Please see a licensed professional and let them make the diagnosis. And if you are not comfortable with it get a second opinion. Not all counselors and therapists are created equal. Some are not very effective, some are great. If one isn't really feeling right after a few visits find another one.

Some of my thoughts on your "symptoms":

I really think that you need to sit down with a professional and go over this with them. I can see why you'd be worried, and I can also see why you'd feel uncomfortable talking with a psychiatrist, but if you do have a disorder then it's best to identify it early on so that you can begin treatment. You mentioned that you're going to uni right now - there should be counselors at your school that you could talk with, and they might be able to tell you if you need to meet with a psychiatrist.

omg psychology...That class made me diagnose myself with so many things! And when we got to psychotherapy and all those diseases, well, I found that a lot relate to myself too...However, when you think about it.. if you find that nothing discussed in the class relates to you, you're probably dead.

If you're worried though, talk to a professional! But honestly, a lot of those "symptoms" you described could be present in a normal person. Hey I have a few of those too!

Archived