Would you date a man without a car?

Generic User Name

My bf doesn`t have a car. He has a mortgage instead

I have the car, but no mortgage.

Different priorities earlier on, since he lived in the city with more transit, wheras I lived in the suburbs where transit was pretty poor.

I don`t think any less of him for not having a car.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at it like this; i'd rather have the X amount of dollars collecting interest so I can fill my passport than drive around traffic ridden So cali. I get amazed at my coworkers who live 3 miles from work and it takes them 45+ minutes. I jump on two trains and get 6 miles in 15 minutes. Now would you ladies like a guy with money who can grab a cab whenever its needed or a guy with a car who must pay for gas, repairs, and insurance and has no cash? Hmmmmmmm.

I, personally, wouldn't date a man without a car.

would you date a man with a car?

i would date a man without a car, and have dated several men without cars. if you live in a city, it is not necessary at all. for example, in my previous apartment complex, parking was $100 a month, not included in rent. now, i lived near enough to work and i lived downtown, so the few times that i really DID need a ride, i could either ask a friend, or take a taxi. even by taking taxis, i never rang up more than $100 a month, so it worked out. and that's not even counting the cost of owning a car, insurance, etc..... it just didn't make sense for me to get a car, and i know many men who are in my situation as well. plus, it frees up several hundreds of dollars a month to do things i like doing more, like traveling, or getting my hair done, or getting new shoes, or dance classes.

so, a man not having a car is not a big deal to me. i would rather date a man who is fiscally responsible and lives within his means rather than is overspending every month. that is not attractive.

My bf doesn`t have a car. He has a mortgage instead

I have the car, but no mortgage.

Different priorities earlier on, since he lived in the city with more transit, wheras I lived in the suburbs where transit was pretty poor.

I don`t think any less of him for not having a car.

yeah, i have a mortgage. i think homeownership is a better payoff. your car after a few years isn't worth 25% of what you paid for it, but homes tend to increase in value over time (although there has been a dip recently in home prices, it's still not comparable to the dip in a vehicle's value after it's been driven).

The only way I'd date a man without a car is if he lived in the city. I'm dating a guy now who lives in the city, and he doesn't have a car. But since I'm a 15 minute drive and a 10 minute train ride away from the city, meeting up with him is hardly an issue.

Now . . . if I met a guy who lived in the suburbs, who didn't have a car, then yes, that'd be a turn-off. But that's just me.

Yes, and I have more than once. Have dated a few cyclists (like me whom just did not use them. Your legs can get you most places you need to be (either walking, running, cycling - I LITERALLY RUN lots of errands and commute when I can by biking/running). A bus pass or cab when necessary...or willing family members and friends...

Heck, I did not even have my own car until I was 26! I lived downtown for many years, there was no use in one for me. I only have one now as I am no longer downtown, and I back in school (right accross city), as well as working, volunteering, all my athletic stuff....I need to be back and forth to different places quickly!

When I met my current boyfriend he "barely" had a car...lol. It was a 1991 Chevy Sprint, blue with lots of dollops of rust, two red doors, and a LOT of miles on it. On one of my favourite, most memorable dates, we were on the way home from the climbing gym, and picked up some groceries when the car's electrical system died at a MAJOR city intersection....at 10:30pm at night, in the middle of winter when it was about -30C out...we got to push it accross the street..and take cab home...and warm up with hot cocoa

He upgraded, now it's MY car, and it's still going, has about 400,000km on it and I am happy with it even if my classmates laugh at it all the time (unlike some of them, mummy & daddy did not buy me a car ).

My POINT is, if a girl thinks you are not worth it as you don't have a car, she is not worth YOU.

But in real world I bet they will have issues

Just look at what Whiplash Girl Child said..

yeah, but like i just said, i've dated several men (in the real world, not in my hypothetical mind!) and they didn't have cars and it didn't bother me one bit. sure, it would have been nice if they did have a car, so we could go to some far out of the way restaurant once in a while, but it wasn't a big deal, and it didn't make me like the guy any less. but then again, we also live downtown, so there are more than enough great restaurants within walking distance.

I personally would not date a guy without a car ever again. Not because I would look at him for being beneath me, but because I used to have a boyfriend that didn't have a car. I had to drive everywhere. I had to pick him up and drop him back at home whenever we wanted to go out and so forth. It got quite annoying after a while. Maybe if he lived super close to me I wouldn't mind, but not if he lives a good distance away.

I personally would not date a guy without a car ever again. Not because I would look at him for being beneath me, but because I used to have a boyfriend that didn't have a car. I had to drive everywhere. I had to pick him up and drop him back at home whenever we wanted to go out and so forth. It got quite annoying after a while. Maybe if he lived super close to me I wouldn't mind, but not if he lives a good distance away.

did he live in the suburbs or quite a ways away from you?

would you date a man with a car?

Nope, not that either. I won't date a man with a car. I won't date a man without a care. I won't date a man with or without a motorcycle either. I won't even date a man with or without dashing good looks and penchant for thrill seeking danger.

p.s. I won't date a man that likes cats either.

Nope, not that either. I won't date a man with a car. I won't date a man without a care. I won't date a man with or without a motorcycle either. I won't even date a man with or without dashing good looks and penchant for thrill seeking danger.

p.s. I won't date a man that likes cats either.

So....we all want to know. What exactly does your dream guy consist of?

Archived