I hate liars.

CynicalGuitarist

Whoever first philosophized "you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to it and try your best!" is rotting in the deepest, dankest, most smoldering, rotten place in hell (that is, if there is one). I've put my mind to everything I do, try nothing but my hardest, and 99% of the things to do on earth, I can't do correctly. It's embarrassing. From the littlest of things to life goals, I can't do anything right. I know you think it's something silly to be embarrassed about, but it really is tough when people are laughing AT me and not WITH me. I know, I know, it's probably because you think I'm "not maintaining a positive attitude and am not trying hard enough", but how much is enough? At this point, I give up on doing anything "right" ever again, because there's something seriously wrong with me.

Why does this bother me so much? Because I'm tired of people lying to me about stuff like this! I'm tired of being lied to by everybody... people who refrain from negative comments just in hopes that I might "feel" better if they don't say it. But for gods sake... DONT LIE! My life is nothing more than one big lie. I've been lied to since the day I was born. When I was growing up, people have told me how smart, handsome, and full of potential I am, but over the years (beginning around 7th or 8th grade), I began to realize what they were doing to me; simply lying to me in hopes that I won't kill myself. Don't worry, I don't wanna do that anymore; not because I fear death or life suddenly got better, but because I fear THAT failing too.

The only thing I have in defense of myself is that I had no choice in this. I didn't choose to be clumsy, lazy, stupid, incompetent, ADHD, histrionic, or anything like that. I didn't choose to have writers' block, or fail at everything. I gave it my all, and that's all that should matter. It isn't, but at this point, it doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm tired of trying. Zen living is the only thing I'd ever find any solice in. However, in this American society of competition, that's incredibly difficult to do.

To those who believe we "create" our own reality, I challenge you to visit an insane assylum and still hold that belief without lying to yourself.

But, whatever. I screw a LOT of things up, but at least I can impersonate Mr. Bill like nobody's ever heard.

on a positive note: I went out for Chinese food today, and the fortune I got in my cookie said "A pleasant surprise is in store for you". Well, it is a rare occasion I eat Chinese, and I guess the fact that a cookie hasn't given up on me has got to account for SOMETHING.

While I am a proponent of the way you think directly affecting your life and many situations, and I'm not one to rely on blame or displacement too much, I do basically agree about liars.

I can't stand people who lie, or those who talk about things which they have no idea about. Some people will blow smoke up your rectum just so they can try and somehow 'prove' you wrong. I'm not Mr. Logic, but it has its place... and throwing out all facts and logic (when you know it's inaccurate) is not cool. I hate that, so yes I can relate somewhat to what you say.

Lying is lame.

Or your boss brags about his new hairstyle what you're going to say:

"You are an absolute moron for paying such an expansive haircut.

You look like a trimmed sheep and FYi I hate your guts" lol

O.k. now I am going to be serious: life asks you to lie.

It asks you to say little benevolent lies and sometimes huge lies.

Little lies that doesn't hurt no one are a good thing. It's a matter of social skills.

If you can't tell small innocent lies that are socially acceptable you end up with no friends and fired.

For example if my sister asks me does she look great when going on a wedding and she needs to go out of the door right now and I think she has a better combination in her wardrobe i will say to her how she looks great.

I don't lie to people on Ena.

If i say someone is smart, intelligent, decent person,good looking, than I mean it.

I'd rather say nothing than lying in my post to people asking for advice.

You tell the boss, "That haircut really suits you." (Meaning, it suits you because you're an asshat and looks ridiculous, as you are ridiculous.) You can be honest without being blunt and in yo face. Anyway, I don't advocate liars.

I'd lie to save someone's life or something extreme though. We need to be sensible and realistic, not rigid and unyielding. There is a time and place for it.

Although I don't make lying my hobby (which BTW I could, I am a wonderful liar, unfortunately. I'm just naturally good at it. Have been since I was little...), I was mostly referring to people who make lying their pastime here.

I hate that especially. I've seen so many people lie to others on here. And you can even tell they are lying, which makes it even worse. It's much better to not reply than make stuff up or lie just to cushion the blow. I think others should learn from your example.

I think what CG is referring to is that we all tend to lift ourselves and others up on little to no grounds. We tell people who have generated no romantic or sexual interest that they aren't ugly when perhaps they are. We say things like "Ugly does not exist." Well, apparently it does because results (unlike people and their desire to fool themselves and others) do not lie.

Too often we heap unwarranted praise on those who have done nothing to deserve it. That just sets people up for a big fall. They feel entitled to a lot more than what circumstance and life is giving them because we've told them how much they deserve it.

Don't be abrasive, but let's be real.

Too often we heap unwarranted praise on those who have done nothing to deserve it. That just sets people up for a big fall. They feel entitled to a lot more than what circumstance and life is giving them because we've told them how much they deserve it.

Do you mean entitlement issues?

That makes me think of "everybody wins" type of schools. Where they try to eliminate competition, and kids fail to learn real confidence in what they can and can't do - because they don't get the opportunity to really test it.

Disappointment and sweat, sportsmanship, has no ready ears there.

It can feel really dismissive of parts of yourself and like someone doesn't believe in you enough, doesn't want to hear your real feelings : a lot of pressure. Ironically. I've noticed.

In a certain sense, I have met some people who have been told they are basically God's gift, and later, when any little frustration came there way or they didn't get what they wanted NOW not a second later, it was so devastating to them. They didn't realize it was normal, life.

And when to talk to these people, I get this feeling like as much as they have gotten 'spoiled' with compliments, and nice things, and really anything they could ask for that another could offer up, it didn't even mean a thing to them.

And genuine expressions and compliments, they tend to get lost with the scuffle.

I think what CG is referring to is that we all tend to lift ourselves and others up on little to no grounds. We tell people who have generated no romantic or sexual interest that they aren't ugly when perhaps they are. We say things like "Ugly does not exist." Well, apparently it does because results (unlike people and their desire to fool themselves and others) do not lie.

Totally agree.

Being real is what it's all about. Rather than building up false expectations and hopes, if we were simply told "Aim low and don't try" (if applicable!!!! only) then we would not overstep our bounds and become so disheartened when life gives us what we deserve - which is nothing.

I am the byproduct of this whole entitlement issue. I'm ugly as sin and could not get a beautiful girl if my soul depended on it, and yet I believe (for some odd reason) that I am somehow 'entitled' to one, even though I don't have a flying chance in Gehenna of getting one! Had I not been conditioned all my life, and from out of the crib to believe that I can have whatever I want, then it is unlikely I'd be so bitter now, when facing harsh reality.

(I'm not blaming my parents; they're awesome people. But I take issue with this sort of false hope which leads to entitlement issues, as I am the result of such practices.)

Archived