He Proposed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bf proposed last night!! were engaged anyone have any tips for new engagement??? what do we do now? we probably won't get married until fall of next year (maybe earlier) where do I start???

Congrats!

Where do you start?

- Talk about what kind of wedding you want (big/small, outside, inside, fancy, casual, etc). Kinda make something you both contribute to.

- Once you have the details, try book a place. Some places get booked ages in advance. If you want a lot of people it will be different from booking a place for a small wedding. Also, will the wedding and reception be at the same place?

- Figure out catering, guest list, flowers, dress, etc.

Congratulations! This is exciting news!

So where to go from here? I think the first step would be to plan a time around when you want to get married. My sister has these really cool wedding planning books, and they have a timeline of when you should have something planned. Like 6 months before the wedding you should have the hall booked, that kind of thing. It would be fun to get a book like that and look through it with your fiance to get ideas. You could also look through bridal magazines and just start getting an idea of what you want to do.

we went to his house like usual after work, but this time, he had dinner all set up, and the dinner table all romantic and candles and stuff. Then after dinner he said he had a game, he hid clues all over the house leading to other clues, eventually they lead to a letter he wrote to me that he read to me then got down on one knee and proposed! we were both crying

we went to his house like usual after work, but this time, he had dinner all set up, and the dinner table all romantic and candles and stuff. Then after dinner he said he had a game, he hid clues all over the house leading to other clues, eventually they lead to a letter he wrote to me that he read to me then got down on one knee and proposed! we were both crying

OMGGGG AWWWW THATS SOO SWEET and original!!! (Well I think so!!) Best of luck to the two of you!!

Hey There and congratulations!

What a wonderful way to propose- I am very so happy for the two of you.

My advice as someone who just got engaged a month or so ago, is first talk about what sort of wedding you want and how many guests you want to invite. Having a number of invitees helps to determine what sort of space you'll want to get for a reception.

Also, you'll need to put together a budget on what you want to spend, and what you can reasonably afford.

Do you want to get married in a church? somewhere outside? on a beach?

Do you want just close friends and family, a small, intimate wedding?

or do you want to go whole hog and invite everybody and have a big party?

Churches and reception halls tend to book up a year or more in advance, so do consider that when you are making your plans. June, September and October are the most popular months right now for a wedding so if you want your wedding on one of those months you should start looking at halls and churches sooner rather than later.

My fiance and I are getting married next October and we were lucky to find a great place for the reception- but we went with an early reception (11:30-4:30) vs. an evening reception as all of the the dates in October 2008 were already booked up! Plus, we liked the idea of making the most of the daylight that time of year as we live in New England and it's at peak foliage and we picked a gorgeous reception site.

Other things to consider about your budget for the wedding- will your parents be helping, or will you be paying on your own? This will also factor into what places are within your budget.

Some places will have all-inclusive packages and charge on a per-person basis, and other places will break everything down and you'll have to so some calculating and shopping around for things like your cake, flowers, limo, photographer, and DJ.

Saturday evening weddings are most in demand, followed by Sunday afternoons. You can save a decent amount of money if you have your wedding and reception on a friday evening, or a saturday morning, or even a sunday afternoon. My sister saved about 10,000$ by having her wedding on a friday night, just 3 weeks ago. We are going to save a few thousand dollars by having our wedding early on a Saturday morning too. You tend to have more date availability if you choose a friday night or saturday morning wedding.

Anyway, this should get you started, but let me know if you need or want more information! I've been doing quite a bit of research being newly engaged myself, and having my sister as a wedding planner helps too!

Congrats again!

That's totally up to you - I wasn't referring to counseling, just having the mindset of spending more time working on issues as a couple, planning and discussing things like raising a family (since you said you want one), finances, and working on any relationship issues you might have (whether with a counselor or otherwise), than spending time working on the reception. Wedding planning can be fun (when I did it - I am not married - I found it kind of stressful and disillusioning because of the slickness of the vendors/salespeople) but I see people get very quickly wrapped up in it to a degree that seems unhealthy. Sometimes people do that to avoid working on the relationship and/or to distract themselves from doubts about the relationship.

I am NOT even implying that that is you (!) just explaining my statement above, which I borrowed from Dr. Phil and which I thought made a lot of sense when I heard it.

Good luck!

That's great about the saving money. Be careful about relying on friends to "do" those things you mentioned because those are expensive (even the dj-ing because spending the time means he or she is giving up another opportunity) and it's hard to mix friends and business. Also this is planned far in advance so make sure these people are reliable.

My advice is to plan far far more for the marriage than the wedding reception.

Batya, I certainly hope that you are not implying that because I gave Krystal Ivy advice on planning a wedding reception that my fiance and I are not planning for a long term marriage.

Batya, I certainly hope that you are not implying that because I gave Krystal Ivy advice on planning a wedding reception that my fiance and I are not planning for a long term marriage.

Not in the least. Again, what I wrote was that people should spend more time planning for the marriage than the wedding reception. "More" time does not imply anything about how much time to spend planning the wedding. I've given many people wedding planning advice (I planned one many years ago, and have helped others plan). Since most people give advice on how to plan for the party, I like to add my thoughts about planning for the marriage, to give a bit of balance. Also, I find wedding planning in general to be dull -- and that's not meant to imply that your post or your plans are dull, or that your suggestions weren't very helpful to the OP- that's just my personal feeling about it.

Archived