So we had her

JimJohnson

So on Thursday night our beautiful daughter was born and now since my gf is coming out of the hospital tomorrow, we are wondering if the baby should sleep in the bassinet or in the bed with us? We hear that its better that they get used to sleeping on their own right away but then again I have seen so many people sleep with their kids in their bed. What are your opinions?

Never sleep with the baby in your bed!!!!!

It's stupid to endanger a baby's life by doing this. All it takes is for one of you to turn over and the baby is crushed or suffocated.

It's a parents job to protect a baby.

A baby's life is a special gift. Congratulations.

get sum baby monitors if u dnt have already and crank those things, my g/f just lost a friend in a car wreck and she left behind a 2mnth old baby, and shes the god mother so shes gunna raise her, but the babies been keepin her up alot, so be prepared =D congrats to m8

Never sleep with the baby in your bed!!!!!

It's stupid to endanger a baby's life by doing this.

I must say I take offense to this statement as I am (I guess by your terms) the "stupid" parent who co-slept with my son. My son had horrible acid reflux as well as breathing problems so it was what worked best for us. But to the OP , If you guys want to co-sleep I say go for it! it creates a wonderful bond between parent and child but also beware it is a hard habit to break as my 2 year still sneaks into bed with me.

Congrats!

The doctors in England say it's not good for your baby because

1. It's very dangerous. People have rolled over on their babies and they have died and the cause has to be investigated.

2. A baby's cot is more hygenic and safe. Why? Because the cot bedding will be new whereas there'll be dust mites in the mattress of your bed. Plus the pillow and mattress are made from a different material. One that means the baby, if it is face down can breath through the special material.

My youngest sister didn't do that when her babies were small and she's having problems making them stay in their own beds now and they're 10 and 8! The father sleeps with the 10 year old boy and the mother sleeps with the 8 year old girl. I keep telling her to put them in the girl's double bed together. The problem is there's a ghost in their house and the boy used to see it as a toddler. Something must have happened in his bedroom before they bought it and he sees whatever it is. He's ok in all the other bedrooms.

Mythical Suicide I apologise I didn't mean ot offend you.

CONGRATULATIONS!

As for the sleeping arrangement, go with what works best for everyone. That means whatever sleeping arrangement that allows for the most sleep.

I am one of the few that am very big on co-sleeping. I read all the warnings and articles saying how awful it is, but I couldn't imagine it any other way. I take precautions, I keep soft bedding away from him, no stuffed animals, blah blah blah, but I honestly think that's the way it should be. I personally get the best sleep when my baby is right next to me. I wake up with the slightest roll or kick or wimper and can tend to his needs immediately.

It's just up to personal preference. They also have these little beds that fit in your bed if you want it to be more safe (I have one but don't use it).

Anyways, congrats, and good luck with your new arrival!

Congratulations!!!!!

Oh and what worked well with my babies has been having a cradle/bassinet next to my bed. Then the baby is right there for me to stare at without being in the bed.

The reason it is not advisable is that it does raise the risk of sudden infant death syndrome... for many many reasons. Its just best that newborns sleep on a flat surface, with very little bedding cept a blanket swaddled around them.

Congratulations!

Oh and what worked well with my babies has been having a cradle/bassinet next to my bed.

That's what we did thefirst 6-8 weeks. Then move into their own bed.

I know some people swear by having the baby sleep with you but to me it just seems like you may be creating a problem getting the child out of your bed down the track. If you can get a baby to learn to sleep by itself and get itself to sleep you will be better off I think.

Congrats!!!!

Oh and what worked well with my babies has been having a cradle/bassinet next to my bed. Then the baby is right there for me to stare at without being in the bed.

That's what I will be doing. Knowing some of the risks of co-sleeping, I think I'd be way too nervous and not sleep a wink if I tried- I'd be too worried about rolling over. I think having the bassinet right next to the bed is perfect- the baby is right there and within reach, but separate enough to be out of harms way.

YAYAYAYAY Dad!!! Good for you!

I use the bassinet-by-the-bed approach. The bassinet is a packnplay and it comes with a little nightlight so that I don't have to turn on the bright room light to check on her. I also covered the bassinet with a catproof net so that the cats don't try to get too cuddly.

i slept with both my children in the bed when they were babies and see nothing wrong with it ....trust me those who have kids know you never sleep the same or as deep as you used to..... any little noise or movement wakes you up........ though it is a hard habit to break once you start...so it is really personal preference.....good luck

Archived