LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking negative customer feedback

Platinum Member
    Is he your assigned mentor or you chose him to be your mentor? Are you sure he is relaying accurate feedback?

Originally Posted by annie24
    I donít know what he said to these customers, if anything at all. I donít know if he backed me up and said, actually, Annie has a phd and years of experience with....Ē or if he is just letting them vent.
    No offense, I donít think him backing you up would matter at all.

Iíve only asked for people to be off my account if they make me uncomfortable or if they consistently drop the ball with communications or something else important. Or if they come off as rude. Itís happened just a few times.

If I was meeting someone and they were on the phone all the time or condescending, I wouldnít want to work with them.

Your credentials donít matter - sales is how you make people feel.

I think you need to find out why they donít want to work with you and really focus on improving that.

So my coworker called my boss and my boss called me. He said he has complete confidence in me and knows that some customers just do this and when they get a mispression, thereís not much you can do and it sucks. He basically said he backs me up and sometimes these things happen and he still has full confidence in me. I definitely wasnít rude to anyone. For the second account, he wonders if it was a cultural issue. He said he was on a team with a woman in my job and there was a customer who was being mean to her and the manager stepped in and told him not to treat her like that.

So, my manager said he would probably be in contact with both of the accounts to assure them of my competence and because of logistics, they canít demand to see one of our reps or not unless something egregious happened. It was nice to hear he backed me up like that.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Is he your assigned mentor or you chose him to be your mentor? Are you sure he is relaying accurate feedback?
    Assigned mentor. Actually, I will be going to the company meeting soon so I can ask other senior people how to deal with this situation.
    Last edited by annie24; 10-22-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Platinum Member
    Great that he is going to back you up. Look if you can take something constructive from this and improve your interactions of course youíll do it. This is positive news from your boss.

Originally Posted by annie24
    So my coworker called my boss and my boss called me. He said he has complete confidence in me and knows that some customers just do this and when they get a mispression, thereís not much you can do and it sucks. He basically said he backs me up and sometimes these things happen and he still has full confidence in me. I definitely wasnít rude to anyone. For the second account, he wonders if it was a cultural issue. He said he was on a team with a woman in my job and there was a customer who was being mean to her and the manager stepped in and told him not to treat her like that.

So, my manager said he would probably be in contact with both of the accounts to assure them of my competence and because of logistics, they canít demand to see one of our reps or not unless something egregious happened. It was nice to hear he backed me up like that.
    But you were on your phone, right?

The point Iím making is for a reaction like this, something was more than likely off. I still think you need to be a bit introspective here and see if you can figure anything out.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    But you were on your phone, right?

The point Iím making is for a reaction like this, something was more than likely off. I still think you need to be a bit introspective here and see if you can figure anything out.
    I agree with you, I do want to learn and grow. Iím sure if 1 customer has had this complaint, so have another 5. Apparently their problem was that I was on the phone with tech support and that made them have less confidence in me. Actually I only called because the engineer told me to because there was an issue with the instrument that came up. So, Iím on the phone to help resolve their issue (I sometimes call to get a second opinion before taking an action). But literally, my job is on the phone a lot and internet. We have no office. My office is my home and car. I was at a customer site today and kept the phone far away. But then my boss called and I had to take that.

Iím definitely going to get some books/articles on this topic and try to improve. For the second customer, we have a phone meeting planned this week and in advance of the meeting, I sent him an article I wrote on the topic he has questions about and I said I will cover that material on our call. My boss said that I still need to be his training person because of my particular skill set that this customer needs help with and my coworker doesnít have that background.

For Sansa, my boss said it is not reasonable that I have nothing to do with their account. I live down the block from them. If my coworker is busy, it is not reasonable to send someone from a different state to talk to them when I literally live down the street and I didnít do anything terrible like offend their great grandmother.

I feel better that that my boss is backing me up. But of course I want to avoid this in the future.

A few months ago, my coworker and I both had a difficult customer. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to solve his problem. I actually did an experiment myself and found the answer, and the customer Bob didnít want to accept that answer. If I tried to talk, he just talked right over me. Then my male coworker came back a week later and told him the same thing I said, then he believed him. Then we both got a complaint for bad customer service. Sigh.

Taking negative customer feedback

Customers can definitely be awful to work with. But let me throw in my 2 cents.

I had a meeting with a vendor today in a large group. It was their product pitch to a lot of engineers. The engineers all asked reasonable questions, but the sales engineer answered them in a way that overcomplicated the answer, was super condescending, and he definitely made a point to use big words and talk a lot.

He was trying to show how much he knew. But I left that meeting feeling annoyed with him and unsure what his product really can do, since he convoluted everything with his grandeur.

Flip side - one of our other salesmen is super relatable. Heís technically savvy but doesnít lead with that. He focuses on relating to us. We ask questions, he answers in honest, no nonsense type ways.

Customers donít want a smart salesperson. They want a relatable salesperson who gives them the answers they need. You need to be smart to do that, but the relationship isnít built on intellect.

Just my opinion.

Thank you, that is good to think about. I need to adjust my approach somehow.....but Iím not even in sales. :( Iím literally technical support. My focus isnt ever to sell them something, and if I tell them to buy our thing or tell them to use a competitorís thing, itís out of interest for their needs.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice