I have 2 children and finding that I am struggling with having no money. I have previously always worked but since I split from my children's 'father' I haven't been working. We split over 2 years ago and I did manage to get myself into a little bit of debt. I have been managing to pay small amounts towards my debts. My youngest is due to start school in September and i have been looking for a part time job. Their father hasn't paid anything towards the children for over a year. I know he is working as he has recently moved closer to me and he is still working for the same company as when we split as I have seen him in the works van. When we was still talking he told me to contact the cms to which I did. He was furious about this and attacked me in front of our children, we had to go to court and he isn't allowed within 100 meters of my home. I still haven't had any help from him and this is coming up to a year now. The children ask him for things and he tells them 'no, ask your mum'. I've tried to contact the child maintenance service several times and they still haven't managed to have any contact from him. I'm stressing with both children going to school how I'm going to be able to afford new school uniforms and shoes. Is there anyone that has been in a similar situation and could advise if there is any other way I could go about this? I have tried speaking with his family members about the situation and this hasn't resolved anything either? I'm loosing my mind over this and it is probably nothing I know once I'm in a stable job it will be more manageable but until then is there anything else I could do? Any help would be great fully appreciated.

I would keep pursuing any legal avenues to compel him to pay child support - and be quite "aggressive" (for lack of a better word) in following up with all the relevant agencies and programs and making sure they devote attention and resources to your case. I gather you are not in the US so I don't know what the relevant agencies are, but perhaps there is some sort of advocate for mothers/children that you can contact if you are not getting anywhere. I would inquire locally about any available resources.

Given that you've managed to stay afloat this long without working, I assume there are significant safety net/welfare programs where you are that are giving you some funds to live on? Or have you been relying on another source of income? For your children's benefit, I would take advantage of any support programs or subsidies that are available to you. However, it seems to me the most obvious answer to your financial troubles is to find a full-time job, especially now that both children are in school. Part-time work will likely not generate enough income to support a family of three. I would look for full-time work and then look for childcare as needed to cover hours when your children are out of school and you are working.

Archived