Should I give him some space?

sarahhh456

I have recently started dating a guy and we've only been together for a little over a month, but I've known him for almost a year and a half. So far, things have been going pretty well.

Yesterday, one of my boyfriends dogs unexpectedly passed away. The dog had epilepsy and had a seizure on the deck in their backyard, fell into their pool and unfortunately drowned. My boyfriends dad was the one to find the dog in the pool.

I know its hit my boyfriend and his parents pretty hard because they all feel guilty or like they should've done something, even though it was obviously no ones fault.

Yesterday, my boyfriend understandably wanted to be left alone. Today, he wanted me to come over after I got off work. We just laid around watching a movie and obviously he was upset. I asked him if he was okay or wanted to talk and he just said "I'm fine". I was with him for a couple hours before he eventually asked me to leave, which was unusual of him. I know he didn't get much sleep the night before so I didn't take it personally and respected his wishes.

What I'm basically trying to ask here is should I just give him some space? He tells me he's fine whenever I ask if he wants to talk and then when I respect that and try to go on with any other conversation, he doesn't say much, whether it was tonight in person or over text. I want to be there for him, but I also don't want to make him any more upset. I know a lot of guys don't like to talk about their feelings or get emotional in front of girls, so should I just back off a little bit and give him some space?

Yesterday, my boyfriend understandably wanted to be left alone. ..... he eventually asked me to leave, which was unusual of him......so should I just back off a little bit and give him some space?

You have empathy, which is a great trait.

Your answer is in your words already.

He wants space and told you. Give him what he wants. Dealing with death of a pet or family member affects different people in different ways.

It sounds like he would rather be alone to process the loss of his dog.

So keep your distance, BUT do let him know that you are "there for him" and ask him to call you once he is up to hanging out.

He told you what he needed and wanted, and you complied. If you don't hear from him during the day, a simple text like: "Thinking of you" is a good way to show you care without expecting anything in return. Of course, a person does need to eventually start putting their normal effort into the relationship once a reasonable time has passed for mourning. If he never gets back to that place with you, know that you are important too and have needs.

Agree. If people just want to relax and be quiet, needling them to "talk about it" is seeking attention/interaction for your own needs, that they are not up to.

Stop stop stop asking him if he wants to "talk about it". If he did, he's open his mouth, right? just laid around watching a movie and obviously he was upset. I asked him if he was okay or wanted to talk and he just said "I'm fine". I was with him for a couple hours before he eventually asked me to leave. whenever I ask if he wants to talk

Archived