How Do I Get Her To Forgive Me

NewJersey

Even though I love her, I sexted with other women on Tinder. I don't know why I did it; I think I have low self-esteem and was stroking my ego. She found out, and although we never broke up, she took it hard. Eventually we both thought we were in a good place and moved in together, and now she tells me this "proximity" has brought up all of those feelings and she's not sure she can shake this and not sure she's still in love with me. Neither of us can move out since neither can afford the rent without the other (1-bedroom), so if giving each other space is not a possibility, what is? How do I get my girlfriend to forgive and move on?

Unfortunately it sounds like a relationship of convenience, if she's 'not sure she's still in love with me'. Have you discussed living as roommates and dating others?

now she tells me this "proximity" has brought up all of those feelings and she's not sure she can shake this. Neither of us can move out since neither can afford the rent without the other (1-bedroom), so if giving each other space is not a possibility, what is?

Honestly I think this relationship is done. I don't know your girlfriend, but if she is anything like me, things like you 1. being on something like Tinder while in a relationship and 2. sexting other women would be more than enough for me to lose any ounce of respect and attraction I may have towards you, and nothing you would do would ever make me change your mind. I am surprised she stayed and tried working on the relationship once she discovered your deceit!

I think your best bet is to end your living arrangements, would both of you moving back with your parents be an option?

You need to be single for a while and try to figure out why would you ever consider measuring your self worth/self esteem based on women sexting with you. Hopefully you know that the type of woman who sexts people "met" on dating apps will do so with pretty much anyone with a penis, regardless how ugly, stupid, crazy he may be...so the fact that you get those women to sext with you should make you feel embarrassed, as it's the furthest thing from an ego boost. Take some time off, find better ways to fix your self esteem, and only then try being in a relationship again.

How do I get my girlfriend to forgive and move on?

You can't. All you can do is treat her well and refrain from repeating the behavior that caused her to mistrust you. Give her space when she needs it, be understanding and try to realize how you would feel if the situations were reversed.

Don't ever, even in the middle of an argument, say something like: "Why can't you just get over this already?" The fact that she didn't break up with you right away and was willing to move in with you tells you that she is/was trying, but it's very difficult to heal from betrayal. In the end, you may not be able to make this right -- but you can learn from your mistakes.

How can either of you trust a reason as vague as "I don't know why I did it?" All that says is, if I can't identify my reason, then I can't resolve it, so there's nothing to prevent me from doing it again.

Low self esteem isn't a good reason for disloyalty, because all that's says is, I think so little of myself that I can't even trust my own word. So how is she supposed to trust it, or to think any more of you than you think of yourself?

If you need to split up your household, consider finding roommate situations or renting rooms in boarding houses if either can't move in with family.

Archived