Hate my new job

I was made redundant and have got a new job. I absolutely hate my new job as it is call centre work. Whilst I have knowledge in the enquiries the company have unrealistic expectations and have a lot of processes to learn and scripting. Customers get very frustrated and do not understand you are training and have to read the scripts and cannot miss parts of the scripts.

I really miss my old job as I enjoyed speaking to customers on the phone and in person but it did not involve calls all day long with strict targets and monitoring of toilet breaks. I want to leave but don't want to leave until I have another job lined up. The difficulty is getting time off for interviews as you are not allowed to book annual leave unless it is a month in advance. The department has a very high turnover due to the lengthy processes involved and micromanagement. I cried on the way from home as I know it is not right for me. Anyone got any advice?

Get your resume out there and use sick time even if it's unpaid to interview.

I want to leave but don't want to leave until I have another job lined up. The difficulty is getting time off for interviews as you are not allowed to book annual leave unless it is a month in advance.

Keep looking for another job. Let the thought of being stuck doing this be the spur. If you can't book holidays, ask jobs if they would be able to schedule you out of work hours, or take the time as sick time. See if you can make the time up somewhere else.

You have my sympathies. I did call center work for 6 weeks once, and it was soul destroying.

I had a job like this at what I called a "glorified call center," I worked for an online private university selling education (in other words, massive amounts of student debt) to unsuspecting and very uneducated people by phone. It was HORRIBLE. Same kind of deal, I slaved away in a cubicle, sometimes they forced overtime hours, there were certain metrics and goals you had to meet including but not limited to the amount of dials you had to make in a day, and the amount of students you enrolled in a month. Strictly monitored lunch and break periods as well. Our leads were generated mostly from those pop-ups that people get whilst filling out job applications on sites like Monster.com that say "Do you want to continue your education?!" most people fill it out without knowing they will be bombarded by every online university in existence within 15 minutes of clicking "Submit"... boy have I been cursed out and hung up on!

I lasted there for almost 2 years before I got laid off. You should stick it out for as long as you can though until you can find something better, I learned a lot from working for such a crappy company in a crappy situation, and it has made me learn exactly what kind of job I deserve. From then on, I refused to work for corporate companies and I fought through unemployment working at a bakery until I got the job I deserve.

This was what struck me! In what country with no labour laws would this happen.....I ask.

"monitoring of toilet breaks"

A camera in the loo?!!!

What about workers' right! Never mind that. What about human rights!

In the US, corporations are people! They know how to get around labor laws like pros, and a lot of it has to do with the strict monitoring of hours worked, break periods, etc. Idk where the OP lives, but that's why I decided after getting laid off there I would never work for another corporation again!

This was what struck me! In what country with no labour laws would this happen.....I ask.

"monitoring of toilet breaks"

A camera in the loo?!!!

What about workers' right! Never mind that. What about human rights!

I'm thinking OP isn't being literal. When I was 20, I did collections at a call center. We had punch restroom breaks into an intraday timesheet. It wasn't a specific bathroom break code, just the same one they used for 15-minute breaks and other times we stepped away from the computer. It's pretty standard practice in call centers where productivity measures are heavily emphasized.

Today it was horrendous, I had very bad anxiety and struggled to breathe but am not allowed to leave my desk so I had to pretend I was ok. Management are so corrupt saying the longer you take on the phone the more incompetent you are. I got told I was 27 seconds late logging back into my phone, no-one has shown me how to use my phone properly. The manager said if they catch you talking to people in general you will be challenged. It seems like micromanagement and bullying. I feel like walking out, am sicking of crying when I drive home.

• 2 weeks later...

My number one goal in life: happiness.

My favorite quote: do what you love, love what you do.

It doesn't matter how much you earn if you're not happy. I'm not saying you should quit your job immediately. You should take your free time to search for information for jobs. When you find something that you like, you should probably prepare for the interview secretly. Quit only when you've saved enough to last for a couple of months just in case your interview don't go as planned. Better yet, expand your social ties and your views, you might find something you didn't expect.

This might not sound so convincing coming from a 19yo girl. But i assure you, i earn enough (more than my father's monthly pay, actually) and hang out enough (since i'm in business, i got a lot of free time)

Archived