School? Weird feeling about college!? Mental health? Dropping out?

rhiday

I have mixed feelings and I really need advice.

I started college a few weeks ago and the honeymoon period of being away from my family is gone. I'm really homesick. I spent my high school life working so hard and worrying about getting into and now that I'm here I don't really have much to obsess over and worry about. It's honestly weird.

I've also been visiting home and and my bedroom feels foreign and makes me want to go back to my dorm but when I wake up in the morning at my dorm I'm normally clouded with how much I'd like to be at home to the point where it puts me in a depression. I'm conflicted between two places because neither feels like home anymore. I'm stuck on what should I do...

Unfortunately, this is what life is. What happens after you drop out? Say you get a job that pays well enough to move out - you'll feel the same way.

Find a group of friends to help you with this transition. Everyone is going through it to some extent. Are you in the US? Greek life may be a good fit. It's great for building a strong community around you.

Make it at least through the semester before deciding anything, but you'll experience this no matter what next step you take.

It's called culture shock. First you're really excited, then you miss the old life, then after a few months you love the new place. Google about the timeline of culture shock, it will help you understand what you're going through. Same thing happened to me when I studied abroad but I was really glad I stuck with it and didn't fly home early.

If you're not motiated to go to school, then don't. If you're in the US, it's simply too much money to throw away. Take some time off, work a job, and settle in on some interests.

I'm guessing you're beyond withdrawing for a refund at this point. I'd hold out until just before Ws become Fs and see if you'll find some motivation before then.

Everything new takes an adjustment. When I was eleven I moved from the east coast to the west coast. It took me a few years to fully stop missing my hometown and to fully enjoy and embrace my new digs. Sometimes when you start a new job, it's stressful and you miss your former colleagues and you don't know any of your new co-workers yet.

Just know what you're feeling is normal and that change is scary but in the end, rewarding. Nothing stays the same, and you will grow as a human being and adjust in your own timeline, however long or short that is. It's like that old saying now, "You can't go home again." Your career will allow you to afford a place of your own, a whole house instead of a room. Your childhood room is now part of your past, a pleasant memory. Take care.

I had the same thing happen to me. I'm here to tell you that it does get better. It will make you mentally stronger for the real world. Unfortunately you can't live with mommy and daddy forever- you have to grow up and push yourself to be independent. And it's not easy.

Do not hesitate to seek out resources to help you adjust and give yourself some time. counseling on campus is FREE- this will be the last time to have such access to these services.

Just to add, there are ways to experience independence without shelling out $20,0000+ a year in tuition and dorms.

I'd never discourage anyone from pursuing higher education, especially in today's economy. But it's better to do so when you're motivated so that you're not racking up debt pursuing a hobby degree because it's the only way you can tolerate university, and on top of that getting crap marks that preclude you from most opportunities at graduate school.

This doesn't sound like lack of motivation. It sounds much more like culture shock. Give yourself time to grieve the transition. I was a Resident Advisor and it can be difficult for the first few months. But every single resident I had moved through it and absolutely loved the experience of college. I still keep in touch with many of them.

j.man,

With all do respect, the OPs issue is not about whether or not to get a college education. It's about coping in a new environment. I highly doubt the OP wants to give up school yet. It's too soon to quit. He needs to try a semester to one year before deciding to drop out.

Archived