Boyfriend Works Away Offshore- How Do I Cope?!

My boyfriend and I have recently just got back from an amazing 5 month trip travelling around Asia. I have gotten so used to being around him and I love him to pieces. But last weekend he got called back into work (he's a commercial diver) and he left a couple of days ago to go work offshore in Kazakstan. He will be gone for 2/3 months at a time, and I just can't bare the thought of spending so long without him. I'm going to be staying at his house whilst he's gone, I only know a handful of people and am nervous about spending so much time alone in his empty house, as i think it's going to cause me to feel very lonely an isolated and i'm just dreading the hallow feeling being away from him brings. It's just going to be so long till i see him again.

I was just wondering if theres anyone else in a similar situation, or any advice anyone could give me on ways to cope with the ache of being away from someone you love for so long. Thanks in anticipation. Any comments would be super helpful.

Sofia. It's life, it's his work. Thousands of women, possibly millions, have their BFs or husbands working away from home for weeks maybe months on end.

Do you have a job? Get out as much as you can. Don't overthink. There is probably lots to do in the house too. Enjoy this alone time for yourself.

Thank you, I know its his job and I fully support him, and lots of women have it far worse. Its just so daunting to think of the time i'm going to have to spend without him. Especially when we can't talk a lot of the time, and we'd just grown so close over the past few months. I shall try to keep busy and enjoy myself.

Are there any social groups for women whose SO is gone for long periods of time working?

I grew up in a small fishing village, and many of my friends had dads who were away fishing for months at a time. The moms and kids got together for trips to the park, etc. And the ones who didn't have kids came along just so they could have some girl time.

I'd suggest looking into something like that.

Ok I'm in the same situation except I'm the one that's gone. I work in the offshore oil and gas fields in the Gulf of Mexico. Best thing I can tell you is stay busy. And when he's home don't forget a few things

1) it takes a while for the manners to change back from dealing w/ a bunch of guys to dealing w/ a woman so he's prolly gonna come off as being rude but not meaning to, it's a big adjustment

2) he's going to want to spend time w/ you but not all his time he's also got other ppl he's going to want to see and other things he's going to want to do. Don't get upset you are still a priority just not the only priority.

3) don't try to be right up his butt when he first gets home give home space

4) While he's gone don't harp on crap that's going wrong at home. There ain't a thing he can do about it from offshore take care of it the best you can, if he left you at his house he more than likely also left you a way to take care of problems i.e. Checkbook credit/debit card, get it fixed and move on

5) don't complain about being lonely there again there's nothing he can do and it'll just make him feel bad.

If he drinks, when he gets home make sure there's plenty of alcohol in stock, trust me on this one. When I first get home the only thing I want to do for the first night/morning is get drunk, play with my dog, and when I sober up go shoot something don't matter what as long as I'm burning powder wether it's cans, sheets, dirt clods, or live critters if it's season. Then after that I'm more or less ready for human company. Hope this helps. If u have any questions feel free to ask

Archived