I dated a guy over 10 years ago that I had known in highschool and reunited with and dated when I turned about 30 (he was 31). He had been a very good student in highschool but after we started dating I came to discover he had won a lottery when he was 19 (about $100,000). He didnt invest the $ but got his parents and siblings out of debt. He created a music studio in his parent's basement worth $50,000 and just broke even with it years later. After a few months of dating I started to question his ability to get a job. About 1.5 years went by before he did finally get one in part much to me complaining (I would gladly have a house husband but can barely survive myself on my own salary). He got a very low paying job working with metally handicap kids (he prided himself that it was an honorable job - I imagine as opposed to the much better paying job I had in the corp world that at least allowed me to live on my own). I got a new apartment he said he would chip in for.. but after discovering it was just a studio and not 1-bedroom he refused to pay even though he stayed over almost every night eyes:

Anyway... I dated him for 4 years hoping for a future... it didnt look like it would ever happen. He also was always trying to sabotage my music career. A friend directed me to a dating site one day. I started chatting to some guys that had "lives" (worked full-time.. didnt live with parents etc). I met a guy I had a lot in common with and after meeting up etc... discovered made $100,000/year. I was very excited to be with someone who was positive and knew what the Real world was really all about (my ex had been suffocating me with his negativity and sabotaging and threats to kill himself if I left him). It was the first time I ever cheated on someone...and really it was just dinner.. not even a kiss. My ex quickly realized my MIA moments might mean there was someone else. I confirmed it was and we finally broke up.

Me and the guy I had started dating talked about settling down but it didnt pan out. Took me about a year to get over what happened. Then I started dating a much older guy. He had been separated 3.5 years when I met him and said wife was trying dating also (not sure if that was true though). I told him after a few months if he didnt get his divorce going I woudl end it. He got it going the next week. He ended up reuniting with an old flame who was a millionairre and planning a life with her behind my back (he couldn't be with her for about a year -- long story-- and was keeping me around untilt then). I was devistated and could hardly sleep for a year after.

Since then I have had heartache after heartache and I'm wondering if it could be karma somehow for what I did to the ex who didnt work.

What do any of you think?

Money does not a good man make...

He didn't Invest the money...but got his parents and his siblings out of debt? And then he pursed his dreams? That's just about the greatest investment one could make!!!

But it matters not. That's past now, and you just have to do better with your future, now that you know what's happened in your past.

Unless one is capable of believing in a higher power - period, there is no Karma. The whole concept many people have of Karma is to treat people righteously and good hoping good will come back in return, or look over your shoulders jerks.. There is another belief, religious or not - grace. Be kind, good, and proper to fellow human beings simply because it is "the way". I think Karma is purely happenstance. Otherwise, why would little children be subject to abuse, death, and terminal illness? Certainly Karma would be absent in their lives then, not?

The fact a guy dumped me for a millionairre later... you guys don't think thats' some sort of cosmic payback?

No I don't. BTW, I think there is a bigger theme of infidelity and going after unavailable men. You didn't have the courage to either work on or end your relationship before you started wining and dining with another man. And you were with a married man. I know you said separated, but there is a difference between a marriage that is totally over and one that can reconcile. I think it is a simple cause and effect. Please take time for yourself and stop going after unavailable men (unavailable merely to you, or married). It will solve a lot of problems.

Archived