I just found out that a psychiatrist I saw has allegedly sexualy abused a patient. please read!

1MoreChance

Hello everyone.

from the ages of 16 to 21, I was in therapy with a psychiatrist at a Children's Hospital (I believe once I got in I was able to keep going even though I was 18 and over, and then he went into private practice). I would meet him 2 to 3times a week .

he was really bizarre in that he would analyse my dreams in a sexual way (really graphic and made me uncomfortable), he would sit really close to me and kinda surround me with his legs and talk to me with his face really close to mine, he would call me "gorgeous" and hug me ever time before I left, and he would encourage me to "explore" sexual encounters with men, and those men were often much older than I was.

he would also sometimes be angry without me understanding why and what I had done to make him feel angry, and some sessions we would just sit there in his office in silence with all these negative emotions floating around.

he was really inappropriate. One time he told me that a client of his was "in love" with him (remember these were children and teens who went there). he also told me about another patient who had some sexual "hang up" so he made her carry a big zuchinni in her bag and she had to touch it in certain circomstances (as if it were a male sex organ).

another thing that was just not right is that he told me that HE decided when his patients stopped therapy. He called it "graduating". Only when I decided to end it at 21 (he was now in private practice), he became very rageful (not throwing things or yelling, but brewing with anger inside). I told him I was ready to stop therapy, I felt I had to go into my appointement to tell him so, I felt like I had to break free. I was really scared of him.

Yesterday I decided to google his name and this article came up (see link below). I was mortified, my heart was pounding, I though "I KNEW it." I was not surprised at all. when I started to see him my mother had just kicked me out and I lived on my own. I felt so alone. This psychiatrist was so charismatic, he made me feel like I mattered and I put him a HUGE pedestal. I feel that he emotionally and psychologically abused me and that if I had met a good therapist, I could be in a better place today. I am SO upset. I never realized it before, up to a couple years ago when I started thinking that something was just not right, that I had been mistreated. To me this was "normal", it was all I knew, and I looked up to him SO MUCH.

what can I do now? Has he screwed me up for life? I needed help and maybe back then I COULD have been helped. I was a really messed up teen with eating problems and identity disturbances. Now I feel that maybe it's too late. I am so angry and upset. It' slike my problems will never ever stop. How can I trust ANYONE?

link removed

No one can screw you up for life. Im sure he didnt help you with your issues and I'd feel just as hurt and upset. But NOW you know that therapy HASNT failed you it was just this idiot. Your problems can be fixed, you could resee a therapist, would you trust a female one more? Im not being sexist but you may feel more comfortable with a woman now.

Your problems wont stop full stop, but they can be slowly fixed and worked on. Dont give up! *hugs*

If you mean "allegedly" does that mean he hasn't been punished yet??

If he is still under investigation, you could contact that person or entity to tell them what happened to you.

he is not gonna be punished because all he had to do was give up his licence (and with that his right to practice in canada) and the investigation was dropped. I'm disgusted. and I don't know what to do I want that bastard to be confronted with what he did to me too.

I agree. Give the the authorities the facts of your situation so that they may make a stronger case against him and he will get a stricter penalty.

About 5 years ago a good friend of mine found out that her childhood neurologist had sexually assaulted some of his patients. Although he never assaulted her, I remember that the news made her feel really scared and just terrible overall.

I'm sorry that his happened to you. Expose the scumbag.

Archived