Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will they ever regret leaving you for someone else?

Will they ever regret leaving you for someone else?

Hi,

Many of you have been left for someone else, often after a long and good relationship. They meet someone else and suddenly they feel they would be so much happier, and they feel a strong connection, are madly in love.

The long-term relationship is given up andyou are replaced in no time for someone else. I wanted to know from your experience and knowledge: what is the chance that they will ever regret giving up a long relationship for someone new? And IF they regret it, how long does it take - months, years? There is probably no science about this, but think you all have much experience, or knowledge....

I think you have to stop wondering if they will or not. Stop thinking about them and their future and think about you and yours. They might marry this person or break up with them, chances are if they couldnt be loyal to you they wont to them but theirs no facts about it.

I guess sometimes they do regret leaving and sometimes they don't. I know a guy who left a good woman, for a model girl. At the time, he thought the model was the one for him, but in the end he slowly started to find out about all of the other men.. This was about 3 years ago, and till this day he regrets leaving his first girl.

I don't know (or maybe I have forced myself not to remember) horror stories, in which the guy left a girl, found something better and lived happily ever after..

Silver Member
    Well, we can break this down into

leaving a relationship for the right reasons

and

leaving a relationship for the wrong reasons.

When you leave for the right reasons, abuse, different goals etc. then it's pretty much a clean cut case of moving on easier and finding someone you deserve.

Whereas leaving for the wrong reasons such as lust or greener grass without sorting out any small problems could possibly leave the dumper with a certain amount of regret. Like when the new relationships honeymoon period ends; what if we just sat down and sorted things out instead? Now, I've got all these different problems plus the regret/guilt and now he's moved onto someone else and he's happier, looking great and more successful.

Generally, the quicker the dumpee moves on, the faster the dumper realises what they've done. But whatever happens it will be when you're not thinking about them.

6. 02-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misskitty16 View Post
    This is a very dangerous road to put yourself on. 11 months ago mine left me for someone else. He never spoke to me again. The first few months I asked myself the same questions as you. I look forward to the point instead where I simply no longer care.
    How long were you together for and why did you break up?

Have you got a new boyfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Muisje08 View Post
    Hi,

Many of you have been left for someone else, often after a long and good relationship. They meet someone else and suddenly they feel they would be so much happier, and they feel a strong connection, are madly in love.

The long-term relationship is given up andyou are replaced in no time for someone else. I wanted to know from your experience and knowledge: what is the chance that they will ever regret giving up a long relationship for someone new? And IF they regret it, how long does it take - months, years? There is probably no science about this, but think you all have much experience, or knowledge....
    Some regret it and come back, some regret it but don't come back. Some don't regret it at all. You can't waste your life hoping the person regrets it and comes back. Even if they come back it depends on how serious they are when they come back and why they come back. Some come back only because the new person dumps them so they go back to what is familiar in order to not be alone. Some come back but never fix their problems and issues so they may as well have stayed away. You need to move on with your life and not expect them to come back.
    "A word to the kind: when I sense I'm hurting someone, I am. The fact that someone would be weak enough to tolerate that from me doesn't make me less responsible for my actions, it makes me more responsible". Catfeeder

My girl left me for another guy right out of the blue. One day I was the love of her life. The next she "couldn't a do relationship any more and want[ed] to be alone" The day after that she was with a new guy. She wanted to get into the whole party scene after seeing all her friends from highschool partying, so she wanted a party boy, that wasn't me so she left me for him

I often wondered will she ever regret what she has done, will she ever grow up and realize I was good man and tried my damnedest for her. Now I'm to the point where I truly don't care. Honestly I hope she never does, because if she calls back trying to reconcile she'll be highly disappointed

I think the healing process leads up to a point where you longer care. But in things I've read and heard of, the ex attempts to win the dumpee back after they have gotten to the "I no longer care stage" In that case the dumpee nor longer wanted the dumper and the dumper goes thru life regretting what they have done. That's in most cases I've seen.

In some cases the dumper and new boyfriend/girlfriend live happily ever after never regretting dumping you. In the other case the dumpee takes the dumper back, regretting that they dumped them. Everyone is different so its hard to say what will happen with one person
    "Peoples hearts aren't an Xbox and you don't get achievement points!"

i've heard over and over again from people i've talked to who have been through this type of situation... its just a phase she/he has to go threw, he or she will one day realize that partying gets old, fast. I went through the partying and doing my own thing rather early in life, I started drinking at 14 so by the time I had met my ex I was pretty much partied out but she had never experianced it. it's their mistakes to make and if things are meant to be they'll come back and if you love them enough you'll take them back because love is blind. i just wish it wasn't so hard! especially for me because i'm super jealous and I still live with her part time. oh and i have no car so i rely on her for rides to work... but im working on it, hopefully will have a car by next week.

It depends but I stopped caring if my ex ever would and then out of the blue he e-mailed me from Iraq and told me that he was sorry and really loved me. I forgave him but never spoke to him again. He ended up leaving her for someone else and then karma set in and that woman left him for....(here's the kicker) another woman.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CmplxDame08 View Post
    It depends but I stopped caring if my ex ever would and then out of the blue he e-mailed me from Iraq and told me that he was sorry and really loved me. I forgave him but never spoke to him again. He ended up leaving her for someone else and then karma set in and that woman left him for....(here's the kicker) another woman.
    LOL! a twist of fate. That's sweet. I really can't wait to get to the point where I don't think of my ex much and if I do it won't have any emotion attached to it. I cannot wait for that day to come!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Checking and following the activities of an ex partner through social networking site Facebook can seriously interfere with a person's ability to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Most people get divorced hoping to have a better life and find more happiness than they had in their marriage. However, a new national study by Iowa ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Brides who hesitate about getting married might want to consider having second thoughts before starting a life-long commitment, suggest psychologists ...