About four weeks ago, I had an IUD put in. This is a non-hormonal device used for birth control that is put in the uterus. I had trouble with three different kinds of pills and with the depo-provera shot and decided I had enough of having my mind and sex drive messed around with hormones!

I've been bleeding ever since though. It started the day it was put in and was like a period, although it was too early in the month for it to start. It lasted and lasted for three weeks though! Then it seemed to go away (occasional spotting) for a few days and now its back to full-on bleeding again.

Has anyone else had one put in? How long did this bleeding last? I'm getting tired of it, and I've gone through waaaaay too many boxes of pads and tampons! I'm also feeling tired and grumpy from the "period" cramps for 4 weeks.

I'm started to feel rather dejected and frustrated. If this doesnt work, what the hell am I supposed to do? Is there still hope that I will stop bleeding and this will work for me?

I had one put in about a year and a half ago. I did not bleed that much but I have noticed that my periods are much heavier and longer than they used to be. Three weeks seems really excessive. THe longest I have had is 10 days. I think you should have your doctor check it out. it may not be in properly.

I've been thinking of getting one... but i keep reading that you should be married and should already have kids to get one. the non-hormonal one sounds perfect for me, but I'm not sure if a doc would approve me.I'm in a serious, monogomous relationship, but not married, and have no kids. Plus, what are some of the side effects you've experienced?

Aurian, I had Mirena put in in January (so 5 months ago). The first 4-5 weeks were AWFUL! I had nasty cramping and bleeding on and off (not spotting, full out period bleeding). After about 6 weeks it slowed to spoting, and now I am period free. You know your body, so if you are concerned, talk to the OBGYN who inserted the IUD for you. From my experience this sounds "normal" (and no one prepared me for it. They told me I would "spot" for a couple of weeks! LYING SONS OF A GUN!)

Redrose - I am not married, nor have I had any children. My doctor and I agreed that it was the best form of birthcontrol for me due to other medical factors. The only thing they warned me was that insertion would be more painful than if i had already given birth. So they gave me some capsules to cause dialation of the cervix... yeah after an excrutiating night of pain I was OVER dialated and had to wait another month to get the IUD inserted. (this time they just did it au naturel). Honestly, for me it was uncomfortable for the first few months. After the initial cramping and bleeding though, I have been painfree and totally asymptomatic. I don't get periods anymore (what a blessing!).

I would go see the doctor honestly; I know everyone is different but I had NO bleeding after mine was put in (until my period of course). My periods are a bit heavier/longer (but that was also as I went off the pill...so expected) but I do not have any bleeding in between periods.

It may be bleeding if it is shifted or something, or if it is the wrong length and is poking and irritating uterine wall. Did they do a "sound" when you had it to make sure it was right size, and that you uterus was not tilted, etc?

Just go and make sure it is is properly and maybe just get some reassurance...it may just be as your body is still trying to expel it, and has not yet adjusted to it being there! It will do so, but I can't tell you when!

I've been thinking of getting one... but i keep reading that you should be married and should already have kids to get one. the non-hormonal one sounds perfect for me, but I'm not sure if a doc would approve me.I'm in a serious, monogomous relationship, but not married, and have no kids. Plus, what are some of the side effects you've experienced?

1. You do not need to have kids to have one. They used to say that as it was easier to insert then, and due to the risks of the past one as it increased risk of infection and infertility, etc. There is also the risk of ectopic pregnancy, but you should note the risk of pregnancy at all is less than 1% with the IUD, and that of those while the risk of ectopic is higher proportionally than it would be if you were not on birth control, it is still smaller than risk in general of it....but if you do have one, it can mean you lose a fallopian tube which also has some others resistant to put them in. They used to also be concerned with scarring/infertility which they now realize is due to infections/STI's that travelled up into uterus....and now that is why you should be monogamous and with low history of infections. The modern IUDs are different and the knowledge of whom it is right for is better too.

2. As long as you are in a monogamous relationship and have a low history of infections and are not at risk for STI's and do not have heavy periods already, you can have one....I personally had NO problems getting one once I showed I was a good candidate and I have never had children, am not married, etc.

Some doctors still are reluctant to put them in, but is based on old knowledge and the "bad" IUD's of the past....today they are smaller, better made and don't have those flaws the Dalkon Shield had. The Dalkon shield was large, and had a braided thread, which caused issues with pain, cramping, and infections travelling upwards.

Call a women's clinic, they tend to be more willing and prepared to discuss the option.

I have had no side effects, honestly...but every woman is different. I was relieved to get off hormones and find something that I have had no fuss or worries with. My periods were a bit heavier the first few months, but this is also due to going off pill. They were not anymore crampy or anything than usual and I honestly have had NO issues with it and don't feel it at all.

There are some risks, which is why you need to educate yourself and make best choice for you.

Ì`ve already had the doctor check it and she was not concerned (she didn`t do an ultrasound, btw). However, I have a second problem with it. My bf can feel the wire and is getting "stabbed" with it when we try have sex. I went to the gyno with both concerns and she adjusted it. However since then and my first post, I have fresh bleeding (argh...) and he is still being hurt by it. I`m giving up with it - between the constant bleeding and the poor guy getting heebie-jeebies from being stabbed during sex, this method isn`t working out for us.

Aww poor guy! geez. Well, I think I may not bother... I have a short vagina, and he is bigger... so I can definitely see that happening with us. I also do not want excruciating pain... rikki, why did they have to dilate your cervix if you don't mind me asking. I am just wondering if this is common or not. had not heard of it before.

Ì`ve already had the doctor check it and she was not concerned (she didn`t do an ultrasound, btw). However, I have a second problem with it. My bf can feel the wire and is getting "stabbed" with it when we try have sex. I went to the gyno with both concerns and she adjusted it. However since then and my first post, I have fresh bleeding (argh...) and he is still being hurt by it. I`m giving up with it - between the constant bleeding and the poor guy getting heebie-jeebies from being stabbed during sex, this method isn`t working out for us.

Hmm, if he is getting stabbed by the threads, it is generally as they cut them too short. They should be longer, then they soften and curl up around cervix. Mine are totally undetectable by either of us unless I am really looking for them around my cervix.

Well, if it does not work for you, it does not work for you! Which is too bad, as I know you wanted something non hormonal and pretty effective.

Aww poor guy! geez. Well, I think I may not bother... I have a short vagina, and he is bigger... so I can definitely see that happening with us. I also do not want excruciating pain... rikki, why did they have to dilate your cervix if you don't mind me asking. I am just wondering if this is common or not. had not heard of it before.

Yeah, my guy is on the big side too. They have to dialate your cervix to put it in. It goes in the uterus past the cervix. It was really painful, but even in my case, it stopped hurting after half a day of bad pain and a few days of a feeling like bad period cramps.

Hmm, if he is getting stabbed by the threads, it is generally as they cut them too short. They should be longer, then they soften and curl up around cervix. Mine are totally undetectable by either of us unless I am really looking for them around my cervix.

Well, if it does not work for you, it does not work for you! Which is too bad, as I know you wanted something non hormonal and pretty effective.

I think my doctor cut it too short to begin with because it kinda stuck straight out and was pretty easy to feel. When she adjusted it, she cut it shorter and it still sticks out, just less so.

I guess the solution would be to get a new one and have longer threads. However, if it was the one problem, I`d try work with it, but I also have the problem of the constant bleeding too. I`d hate to go through having a new one put in only to have to take it out anyways if I don`t get used to it (and Ì think my bf will be scared to try again knowing there`s one in there! :splat: ).

Archived