TERRIFIED of speech class, please help

When I got into my dream med school 2 months ago, I couldn't believe it. I was so happy, and felt so positive, especially since it happened recentley after a break up with a girl I was with for a year.

So all was well until I get a letter from my school telling me that I have 1 more general education class I have to take before I get in, and the words in the letter spelled SPEECH101. All I could think to myself was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! The one class I purposely avoided all of my junior college career is now the only thing standing in my way of getting in.

So, ok I signed up for the speech class, I had a positive outlook going in. I get to the class, and I had heard good things bout the teacher off link removed, so I'm sitting there mingling with people, etc and the teacher tells us," After this video I put on everyone has to go on stage and introduce themselves for 5 minutes." I CHOKED! I freaked out! I walked out to go think what I should do, I couldn't believe the teacher would make us do this on the first day!! I just refused to do it, and instead I just walked away with my tail between my legs.

I dropped the class and now I'm taking one that starts in the 2nd half of the semester instead, which might motivate me more as it is only a 1 month class.

My question is, I'm utterly terrified of speech. I have given 1 before in junior college but the teacher turned the lights off and gave us powerpoint so I didn't feel like all eyes were on me. I just feel so psyched out over this, but if I dont do this I can say BYE BYE to my dream med school. I know im going to do this, but I just need advice on how to use the fear and transfer it into an energetic speech.

Any speech students, or people who work in fields where they give speeches wanna help me out?

hmm... well I'm not sure if this helps.. since its kind of specific... but if you get nervous about people staring at you and such, and you wear glasses or contacts, it (seems to) help if you take them out.. since you cant see anyone looking at you.. of course if you cant see at all I don't really recommend this.. lol....

Also what is your main concern? that you will screw up? forget what you are going to say? Try to analyze what exactly is making you so worried... than think about ways to avoid it from happening...

For Example.. if you are worried that you will forget part of your speech, just have really good notecards with you, or REALLY work at your speechs to make sure you have them down......

I dunno, what part makes you nervous?!

hey y'know I felt the same..EXACTLY the same..i couldnt sleep at night knowing I had to go in front of class anad talk..

and then i did it. I didnt feel one bit nervous. I didnt care what people were looking at or what they thought of me. Afterall, it isnt like the're any better. And they had to do it too!!

So just go for it. Keep telling yourself u dont give a bleep what they think.

You're just talking or teaching them. The trick to it being successful is actually being calm and not what you say.

Good luck.

I had several classes in college where I would have to do presentations or speeches in front of large groups and at first like most people I dreaded it. After a little while I started to have fun with it and put a little humor into each presentation and just talked as though I was talking to a group of friends.

Towards the end of my college years I got so comfortable speaking that I stopped preparing notes and such and just winged it. Point is just like most things a little practice goes a long way. Have some fun with it too!!

Congratulations on getting into Med School!!!!!

I had speech class about 2 semesters ago. Like most people, I was extremely nervous about it.

One thing the teacher did that made it easier was not allowing us to use notecards or read word for word off of a powerpoint.

I know this sounds like it makes it harder, but in reality it makes it easier if you know how to go about it.

DO NOT:

Memorize a speech.

Read word for word off of notecards.

Rely on a powerpoint or other textual aid.

DO:

Establish a common ground w/ audience.

Make the subject relevant to them (even if it doesnt directly affect them.)

Know what you are talking about. Seriously. This is key.

TALK TO THE AUDIENCE. Look at it as a conversation.

Try to check out Toastmasters, and see if they have a local chapter. It is an excellent place to learn how to become a better speaker. You will be among people who will understand you and support you. I used it to help me overcome social phobia, and I have seen people who almost crawl along the wall when they meet the first time, becoming comfortable speakers.

Fear of public speaking can be conquered!

Wow, I have exactly the same problem. I have yet to take my compulsory communication class and the idea of it makes me want to cry. I remember in highschool we always had to do speeches. I got out of it few times but the times I did it, I completely humiliated myself. This was in a room full of all my friends and I couldn't do a simple speech properly. I stuttered, blushed, shook and nearly passed out. I am just completely terrified of taking this class. I actually even started looking for various colleges that didn't have a mandatory speech course, but that was impossible.

The thing is, I'm fine talking to a large group of people if the focus is not on me and I don't have a prepared speech. Actually talking about a particular topic in that fashion seems so unnatural to me. At this point, I'm just avoiding the class until I can't avoid it no more.

I took a speech class in college and thought it was going to be no big deal. I was SO nervous! But the thing that makes us humans so nervous is all those eyes looking at you. So if you're the center of attention, it gets really hot! Just don't pay attention to their faces. Pay attention to something else...can you present with visuals so you are paying attention to what is in front of you rather than "them"?

My fear is that I will embaress myself, choke on stage, pass out, vomit, etc. The funny thing is, I do socialize with people often at parties/clubs/ and amongst friends. But with this class, it just feels like an OMG!

The only thing working for me is it's my last semester here so I wont have to see anyone ever again, but im utterly terrified.

hmm... well I'm not sure if this helps.. since its kind of specific... but if you get nervous about people staring at you and such, and you wear glasses or contacts, it (seems to) help if you take them out.. since you cant see anyone looking at you.. of course if you cant see at all I don't really recommend this.. lol....

Also what is your main concern? that you will screw up? forget what you are going to say? Try to analyze what exactly is making you so worried... than think about ways to avoid it from happening...

For Example.. if you are worried that you will forget part of your speech, just have really good notecards with you, or REALLY work at your speechs to make sure you have them down......

I dunno, what part makes you nervous?!

I wish I could somehow impair my vision so I didnt see everyones reactions, that would be way easier. Unfortunately in this case, I have 20/20 vision LOL.

One thing that you might look into is if only that one speech class will count to fulfill the requirement, or if there are other speech classes that you could use that you might be more comfortable with. In my major, I have the option of a few different speech classes, and I'm taking Interpersonal Communication next quarter - it focuses more on one-on-one relationships than giving speeches to large crowds. Another thing that you might consider is the possibility of taking the speech class at a local community college - there you can usually bet on the classes being closer to 30, might help if large class size is part of what's making this hard on you.

If it's any comfort, most of your fellow classmates will be feeling just as shy and nervous about the prospect of getting up in front of everyone.

Why not go to your teacher and tell him/her what happened with you at the last class? Even just talking about it to your instructor might help you feel better, and if they are a decent teacher, they'll give you some tips to help you ease your fears.

If it's any comfort, most of your fellow classmates will be feeling just as shy and nervous about the prospect of getting up in front of everyone.

Why not go to your teacher and tell him/her what happened with you at the last class? Even just talking about it to your instructor might help you feel better, and if they are a decent teacher, they'll give you some tips to help you ease your fears.

That is exactly what I planned on doing for the first teacher until he said get infront of class and introduce yourself for 5 minutes. I'm a pretty mentally strong person, I know im gonna do this. I'm just wondering if any of you can share comforting stories, or advice? And by comforting stories I mean of taking speech class and seeing people freak out but it worked out in the end sorta thing.

I've never seen anyone freak out. And I seriously doubt you will.

Like you, I feel pretty capable and competent in most areas. I have decent enough social skills. But did I get nervous when it was my turn in speech class? YES!

Unfortunately, this manifested itself into me not making eye contact with anyone, and I got a lesser grade. Looking back, I wish I'd quickly picked out beforehand two or three people who looked the nicest and least threatening, lol, and just focused on looking back and forth at them during my speech.

Also, try to make a conscious effort to pause a second or two between sentences. That will prevent you from saying "Um" too much.

Honestly, Doc...it will be over in a flash, and about thirty seconds in, your nerves will actually start to calm down.

Yea I know Scout, dang anticipatory anxiety.

That's how I felt the other day when I had to get a shot! They actually had to delay it because I started to feel a panic attack coming on. I ended up getting it in a different, darker room, and lying down, lol.

Maybe you could specifically request beforehand that you're called midway through the list. By then, the class will be so bored with all the other speeches no one will be paying any attention to your's.

I know hoe you feel. This week, my boss just asked me to be part of a powepoint presentation where I had to talk for 5 minutes about what our department does in front of 100 people. I am a Director of Research for Fundraising, so most of my job is sort of behind the scenes. I was absolutely terrified, but considering that I was hired in a pretty professional position and being paid more than I've ever dreamed of, i was even more terrified to tell her that I couldn't do it.

I've been sick all week and thought I would choke and freeze. I've prepared all week, read what i was going to say out loud until i knew my material. i once froze like you and couldn't do it. i was just unpreprepared. don't worry. people are very forgiving about these types of things. they won't care and won't remember it or think anything bad about you. Always remember that. still that doesn't take away the anxiety.

Today was the day. i was sick, nervous and expressed this to coworkers. minutes before i was to speak, i blanked. but i got up in front of the poidum and just spoke. I looked up and at my powerpoint, but not at anyone else. but i didn't look too much at the paper. and I did ok!

Advice, you're going to be nervous:

Breathe

Keep your head up, but don't look not the people

don't drink any caffeine.

speak slowly but enunciate

pause. one you start speaking, it will start to flow.

good luck.

I had a similar experience with fear when I was in theater - stage fright can get pretty bad, and I think it translates over to fear of public speaking pretty well. One thing that I found helped was going over my monologues, etc, with a group of friends. Maybe when prepping for your speeches, you could try giving them to a group of friends before you have to give them to your class?