Like I'm sure many people on here are doing right now, I held feelings for my ex and secretly grasped hope that we would get back together; this continued for about 4 weeks after the breakup. Those times were rough, because I hadn't started NC. Keeping contact just gives you a reason to think about the person, and in most cases this is a bad thing. Now I'm 7 weeks NC and I hardly think about the girl, and I feel a lot better. NC is definitely your shortest route to getting over an ex. The sooner you start, the sooner you're better!

yup..ive done NC for a month now besides a 10 second (literally) online conversation, if you can even call it that. It has certainly, along with other things, made me feel much better.

For those who don't believe it, try it and see. I usually tell myself I'll contact the person in a month or so..but by the time that time comes, I loose all desire. Tomorrow is the girls birthday I was seeing...originally my plans were to contact her around now to wish her a happy birthday. But as time has gone by and I've felt better, my desire to do so is gone.

Good for you! NC is definitely the solution... I tried to maintain a friendship with my ex, and realized it was doing nothing but ripping my heart out every time I broke down and told him how I felt and got NOTHING in return. So I stopped. And I don't care how he is or whether he has a great life or not. He's dead to me.

NC does help. it helps you move on with your life and not think about your ex too much. some days are good while other days are just horrible and lonely as hell. i realized that i cant be friends with my ex, at least not for a long time. its just so hard to not pick up that phone and dial his number, but it gets easier as the days go by. i hope. Just like u hockeyboy, i told myself last week that i was going to call him on the first week of march because he is going out of the country for 10 days and just wanted to wish him a safe trip. i guess also because he called me before my hawaii trip and told me he loved me anyways, now this week, i dont feel like calling him anymore. i figured, why does it matter? will he even care? he doesnt want to hear from me.

Absolutely! I started NC a little over a week ago and I'm AMAZED at how much better I feel already. I still miss him a lot, but I feel like I'm getting my self-esteem and self-control back. Two months of "I love you, I want to be with you, just not in a RELATIONSHIP..." has definitely had its ups and downs, but now I realize that the ups were not worth the downs.

I'm noticing little lifestyle changes - I can fall asleep with my phone plugged into its charger, accross the room, rather than next to my head. Heck, I can fall asleep PERIOD! I can be signed onto AIM at the same time as him and not have the urge to IM him, and not have the anxiety of waiting for him to IM me. I can walk down the street with my head up, feeling positive. I can ignore his phone calls and for once feel in CONTROL. I spent these last two post-break-up months letting him walk all over me - whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted it, he got it. It's time to get what I want - my pride and confidence back! I deserve WAY better than being somebody's safety net and I am finally realizing it!

Good luck to you!!

Hahahaha.... Isn't it funny how things happen? I started this thread yesterday, and i guess i should have touched wood after... The ex just called me about tax forms she thinks were mailed to me... We got it sorted out and now i realize that i'm totally over her, which is awesome. Still though, 7 weeks all down the drain!