Have you ever been to a tanning salon??

I've never been to one before so I'm interested to hear what other people's experiences are with them. How many times do you have to go in order to see the results?? Does it feel uncomfortable when you're laying in there? How much does it typically cost and finally, does it give you a natural looking tan or does it end up making you look like an orange?

I LOVE tanning (i know..here comes all of the "oh my god, tannign is soooo bad for you!!!" I know it's bad for me!).

It depends on your skin tone how quickly you tan. Obviously, it's much faster than laying on a beach. If you're fair-ish skinned, they'll usually start you out with 10-12 minutes. You can work your way up to 30.

It's comfortable! I always fall asleep. It has the same "feel good" effect as sitting in the sun.

It gives a very natural tan if you don't over-do it. Go twice a week. Maybe three times at MOST. If you go every day, you'll look crispy (just as you would if you lived out in the sun)

I recommend using indoor tanning lotions. they really speed up the effects.

As for cost, it varies greatly by location, type of bed, etc. It can be anywhere between $4-15/session.

There's nothing that special about it, but some people are obsessed. The first time I went, I went for about seven minutes and each time, that amount of minutes increased. You basically go into a room and there is a white towel, sunscreen (make sure you get some!), tiny eye goggles which you have to wear because of the UV rays which DO go through your eyelids so closing your eyes doesn't even help, and then sometimes a radio close by. You shut the door and spray the tanning bed with stuff that cleans and then dry off with the towel. You do the same after you finish tanning then get dressed in the room

The first time was a little scary feeling- I didnt know what to focus on to pass the time, but now I listen to the radio. The lights come on pretty brightly so keep your eyes closed until the timer has gone off, then you can open the tanning bed. Just a note- don't close yourself in all the way. Leave a little crack open. I felt safer when I did that.

link removed read this

People turn orange when they go excessively and start crisping themselves with the amount of time they spend doing it.

I've never been to one before so I'm interested to hear what other people's experiences are with them. How many times do you have to go in order to see the results??

It depends on your skin tone. If you tan easily, you can see results the first time. If you have very light skin, you have to tan very slowly to build up a base. For me, I could go 2 times / week for a month before anything will show. It also goes faster if you use a good tanning lotion.

Does it feel uncomfortable when you're laying in there?

Not at all. It's relaxing. Some places have music to listen to.

How much does it typically cost and finally, does it give you a natural looking tan or does it end up making you look like an orange?

The cost depends on your area and how long you go for.

It looks natural.. not at all orange.

But it will give you cancer and it's a stupid thing to do.

If you do it in moderation to your natural skin tone and go to a reputable place you wont have that problem. I've done it so many times and never been orange and I am a very fair skinned person.

But question, would you rather risk that or risk getting skin cancer?

Yes, I did that, but it still turned me orange slowly over time. I hated it! (maybe it was just the place, but the experience was still bad)

A tanning lotion that worked for me was Vaseline Intensive Care Healthy Body Glow.

I've been before. Prices vary based on the place and whether the booths are stand-up or if there are beds, etc.

Since most people get naked before going in- even though the attendants clean the equipment, I would always bring disinfectant wipes and wipe them myself before going in. I also used to look for cameras in the room (I know, crazy lol)

When you go- be sure to start off really slow. Don't stay in for too long or you'll regret it.

I stopped going tanning a few years ago because I noticed it was giving me extra freckles which I did not want and also worried about it aging my skin.

BellaDonna

Yes, I did that, but it still turned me orange slowly over time. I hated it! (maybe it was just the place, but the experience was still bad)

A tanning lotion that worked for me was Vaseline Intensive Care Healthy Body Glow.

Did you let it fade before you did it over again?

With the spray on tans even whenit starts fading you need to let it compeltely fade back to your natural skin tone and exfoliate before doing it again, I know its a PITA but unless you do that the extra that has sank into your skin mixing with your oils and the new coverage will turn you orange. I never knew this and you will neve rbe told this by a tannign salon just because they want you coming in every so often to reapply but my cousin works in one and told me all this and I followed it and neve rhad a problem turning orange.

But to the OP, I agree if you do start going start out at 3-5 minutes and gradually increase time, when I was going since im so fair skinned anything over 15 minutes would fry me so just be careful if you do go.

L'oreal sublime works an absolute treat on me - but I'm just trying to get rid of the total whiteness!

I've never ever sunbathed (because of a sun allergy), and I have to say that using total sunblock etc for 20 years does mean that I look a LOT younger than my age. Hah! Tanning is incredibly aging, and it doesn't show up until you're in your 40s plus... (sometimes the beauty risk is more powerful than the health risk!)

L'oreal sublime works an absolute treat on me - but I'm just trying to get rid of the total whiteness!

I've never ever sunbathed (because of a sun allergy), and I have to say that using total sunblock etc for 20 years does mean that I look a LOT younger than my age. Hah! Tanning is incredibly aging, and it doesn't show up until you're in your 40s plus... (sometimes the beauty risk is more powerful than the health risk!)

I couldnt agree more.. I am pastey white but I always use sunscreen and have since I was alittle child and I must say even though im still fairly young I get complimented on my skin all the time, how I look so young and my skin is always naturally soft I rarely ever have ot use moisturizer and I thank not being exposed to UV rays has been my friend to my skin,.

i have been twice and it wasn't for me. I went and used a stand up one and it just got me very hot and bothered even though there was a fan it was soooooo hot!

i came out covered in heat rash lol

now i just use Simple self tan mouse or l'oreal sublime bronze, they work really well and are more cost effective and safer.

It is all about what works for you though, good luck

xxx

I couldnt agree more.. I am pastey white but I always use sunscreen and have since I was alittle child and I must say even though im still fairly young I get complimented on my skin all the time, how I look so young and my skin is always naturally soft I rarely ever have ot use moisturizer and I thank not being exposed to UV rays has been my friend to my skin,.

Woo hoo! We may make milk bottles look tanned, but by god we have youthful skin, lol!

Seriously, though, it's amazing to see the difference in my skin (never had sun exposure) and my friends who have sunbathed, and we're only in our mid-thirties. It's amazing the difference no sun exposure makes.

Fake tanning is absolutely the way to go - that's just my opinion though, and as I am very photosensitive (get a rash in daylight!) maybe I'm just trying to convince myself, lol.

I don't think tanning in moderation is bad for a person. Actually, it has some health benefits, if done in moderation.

The UV disinfects the skin much deeper than alcohol or anything else can. So it's a great treatment for acne, or a prevention. It can also kill and thereby cure various skin infections and external mold like atheletes foot. I've cure atheletes foot that way in summer.

I've also used tanning it to cure my acne in the past. However, that was natural sun in summer, but same thing applies I think.

Of course, tanning to excess is harmful and will make you look like a wrinkled old shoe by the time you're 30 to 35, if some of the women I went to high school with are any indication. It could also kill you from skin cancer.

However, in moderation, I think it's good for a person, especially in a cold, dark Northern climate that lacks adequate sun.

I should add that one reason I'm still a baby face is that I do not ever intentionally tan my face. It gets enough in the summer from walking around, even with my straw hat on. My face does not need any extra sun and I'm protecting it.

I do intentionally tan my body though, except forearms since they already get plenty walking around in a polo shirt.

The rest of my body needs some sun to make sure I don't get acne, and skin cancer and wrinkles are not a concern since those parts of my body are normally covered and not getting any sun. So my total exposure in my life in those areas (legs, back, chest) is going to still be less than my face, which I protect from sun.

I would like to do some tanning salon tanning, but I'll keep a towel over my face. My face get's plent of sun in summer, even with a straw hat and brim. I don't want more sun on my face.

========

I look about 15+ years younger or more than some women I graduated high school with, if those women are life long tanners. I look about 8+ years young for my age, they look 8+ years old for their age. Their looks are aging much faster than mine. Some of them could be confused by a stranger as being my mother. Yipes.

========

Also, I have observed some senior men who take their shirt off. They have wrinkled faces, but zero wrinkes on their chest or back. The skin on their chest and back looks like a 25 year old. The skin on their face and arms (exposed to sun while working outdoors all their life) looks like an 80 year old. Draw you own conclusions.

I'm one of those weird people who just don't tan. I once spent 2 weeks in Hawaii, out in the sun every day without protection and came back the exact same colour (my Dad on the other hand, was wearing SPF30 and came back a bright red to the delight of his employees. "Lobster!"). I find I don't mind too much though, white skin and dark red hair is striking

If I feel a bit too white, I like this Johnson's moisturizer with a touch of tanning stuff in it. Its very subtle, but it also means you won't make a mistake and suddenly turn orange.

I went once and never again. At the salon I saw a life tanner with wrinkled skin, I thought she was 35 here she was my age. I decided I didn't want to be a raisin, I want youthful looking skin. My friend is a life tanner and she is 8 months younger than me and her skin looks like a 40 year olds. I have this skin that still looks like a teenagers. I would go the self tanner or the bronzer route. One of my friends who is an oncology nurse says that prevention is key to not getting cancer. If you take all the proper precautions it is highly unlikely that you will get cancer. So if you know that tanning beds can cause cancer why take the risk. I, personally, would not go in the cancer coffin.

I work at a tanning salon actually. Here is my advice and input:

Tanning can give you a really natural tan if you don't overdo it. We call orange people tanorexics at my salon...people who come in every day.

If you have fair skin don't plan on looking like jennifer lopez becuase there's a point for everyone where their body says: this is my tan color....anything past this just looks bad. and that's not always dark for everyone

I don't tan either, but I go to a tanning salon to get the light exposure. I don't lie down in the bed, either; I just tan my legs. I go for four minutes at a time -- the minimum for effective exposure. It's made a difference in my energy level this winter. My face is sensitive to the sun, so I wear sunscreen to protect it year round -- I need the tanning salon in winter. I also wear sunscreen on my hands year round, as I've noticed that my friend's hands look like they should be on women alot older than they are. What point in keeping your face looking young, with creams and make-up, if your neck and hands are going to look like a 60 year old's?