The Pill: First Day start or Sunday start? Does it matter?

Does it matter whether you start the pill on the first day of your period or Sunday after? Is either one better?

It simply says in the packet that you should ask your doctor which is best for you. He said I could start Sunday. I'm not sure how important it is I do that.I was gonna just start tonight, since it's the first day of my period but maybe I should wait until Sunday. My period is really painful so I was hoping I could start ASAP to get the benefits.

I know it's a stupid question but thanks for any replies!

I think the only benefit of Sunday start is that your cycle goes from Sun-Sat (one week) so keeping track of the pills is easy. If you do First Day start though, there are often stickers to put on the pill dispenser so you can keep track of which pill is for which day.

Also, for MY pill - Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo - if you do Sunday start, you must use protection for 7 days before the pill is effective, for First Day start you are protected immediately. However, this varies for each pill, and I would still use protection anyway. (I don't know if this is even an issue for you).

However, I doubt the pill will help for you period right now. The first two days I started my pill I felt really yucky and nauseous, so it might make you feel even worse ... My vote is for Sunday start, although I don't think it makes a big difference.

I started mine on a Sunday and for me it is easier to remember to start a new pack since I don't take the placebo pills. But if you do happen to start the first day of your period then more often than not your pills will have a sticker to place above your pills to help keep you on track. And if you are sexually active some pills say wait 7 days but I have been told by a few different gyno's that it is always the safest bet to complete your first pack of pills before having unprotected sex because everyone is different.

You can start the pill any day of the week. I'm restarting mine on Friday so I don't have cramps on a weekday like I did before when I started on a Sunday. Pretty much you can start it which ever day you want past the start of your period. If you want a Sunday start and you've started your period take your dose the very next Sunday, unless you started your period on a Sunday, then you take it that day.