Getting an apartment

Hey all....I've recently been checking out apartments in the area. I currently live with my dad and sister but I have that itch to move out. I looked at one today and I absolutely fell in love. The owners were super nice and I filled out an application. They asked when I was looking to move in and I said as soon as possible would be preferable...and they said OH GREAT! If I don't hear anything in a week, should I call them??? I have no credit and I told them that...and I am a waitress and bring home about 500 bucks a week..and I told them this.

Hey there,

Most apartment complexes require a person whom wants to lease, to have good credit. Not just credit but good credit. If you don't, then they would either require a co-signer or like a ridiculous amount of money up front.

Now renting from private people may a different story. I have seen in the classifieds that many private renters also want prospective tenents to have credit. It shows you are responsible with money and pay on time.

Without credit, you may have a hard time finding a place. Why not find a roommate?

If you make 500 bucks a week, why not get a credit card? I have one, and I hardly ever use it. If I do, I always pay it off every month, so I get no charges. The one I have is through my bank, and I pay no yearly charges either. I don't get any frills and its a low credit limit - $2500, but that is all I need and it comes in handy in a tight spot until my next paycheque.

Definitely call them back to express your interest. Sometimes if you don't hear from them, it just means they're busy. Or it might mean they're waiting to see if anyone "better" (maybe with credit) applies. But it doesn't hurt to express to them again how interested you are in the place. You can tell them how neat and clean you'll keep everything, and how respectful of neighbors you are. These are all qualities that are important to owners.