why didn't he ask me out?

Caterina

So, there is this guy that complimented me a lot. He told me he thought I was attractive and interesting and funny and other things. I enjoyed his company and slowly began to like his personality. For a while I thought he liked me but he's not going to ask me out. My mother says that he recognizes a relationship is futile because of religion and thats why he doesn't ask me out. How can you tell if thats it? I mean, I guess it really is practical...I wouldn't date him because he isn't a part of my religion. So what do I do now?

I must suck at communication. Every time I post something I have such a difficult time trying to say exactly what I mean.

Yes, yes, I like him.

Yes, I know its futile.

Do I care? Yes, and... No. Should I care? Damn, of course not.

No, he's definetly not gay.

Ego boost? Are all crushes secretly ego boosts I wonder?

The reason it isn't fair: it falls into the same pattern! A guy likes me, I don't like him, I begin to like him - ding - he doesn't like me anymore.

Why did he act like he likes me and why doesn't he now?

I've asked it over and over...what do I do?

You've indicated that you don't want a relationship with someone outside your religion (I don't know why this is so important, but to each their own). You have (apparently) told him this fact. Yet you expect him to ask you out, so you can say no?

Look, if you're interested in him, ask him out. Otherwise, why would he ask you out when it's clear you weren't interested?

I think you should ask him out.. YOu say you like him.. but you've kept him at arm's length if you told him you couldn't date cuz of religion.

You write: "The reason it isn't fair: it falls into the same pattern! A guy likes me, I don't like him, I begin to like him - ding - he doesn't like me anymore.

Why did he act like he likes me and why doesn't he now?"

I don't know. but it seems the more I don't like a guy. the more he pursues me.. and the more I like him.. the more he could care less.

Why is the world like that?

I will answer your question, "why doesn't he like me." It may not be correct but there are an unlimited possibilities. A few include:

- he's not attracted to you

- he knows you're not open to dating outside of your religion

- you don't have much in common with him

- he doesn't like something about your personality

- you make him feel uneasy or bad about himself when talking to him

- he doesn't like your reputation as a person

- you're too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, or your hair color isn't right

and many, many, many others.

Cat -

If I knew a guy that had a "standard" as to religion, I'd head the other way.

I think he may like you. He acts like he does. But he most likely thinks you are off limits due to your religion.

Are you contemplating dating him anyway? And if so, would you ever consider actually marrying him (religion differences?)

I dunno what you wanna do. If you simply want him to ask you out just so you end up turning him down, then shame on you. You should NEVER do that. Never lead people on. And in this case, why do you care about why he didnt' ask you out? It's not like you were gonna go out with him anyway...

On the other hand, if you want to go out with him, I'd say you should ask him out, or at least drop some strong hints that you want him to ask you out like "hey, you know what movie I'd like to see?" and suggest a movie or something, I dunno, I know you could do better than that example, but you get the idea.

I will answer your question, "why doesn't he like me." It may not be correct but there are an unlimited possibilities. A few include:

- he's not attracted to you

- he knows you're not open to dating outside of your religion

- you don't have much in common with him

- he doesn't like something about your personality

- you make him feel uneasy or bad about himself when talking to him

- he doesn't like your reputation as a person

- you're too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, or your hair color isn't right

and many, many, many others.

Offense meant: could you just try to be a little more sensitive?

I've asked him out before and he said he didn't want anything serious. I think that most of you know what I should do practically...but its kind of hard to see that when you are confused & clouded by your emotions. I think that the best thing for me to do is not really talk to him because it will keep up some sort of hope. I also should forget about him because its obviously not going to happen because of his religion. I think he kind of told me once about how his Mom is really religious...I think hes the type that thinks seriously about girls that he dates and so he won't date anyone that his parents wouldn't like: meaning no one who is of the same religion as they are.