A few recent threads have led me to write about this.

I cannot believe how unreliable these things are. In my experience, they have broken on me and fallen off more times than they haven't. This is with different partners too. I've had sex over 500 times all up (5 different partners).

Isn't it amazing that this flimsy piece of latex is supposed to protect you from life threatening diseases. I really hope that an STD pill is developed sometime in the near future. Condoms are terrible. If it weren't for the MAP and birth control pills, I'd probably have 4 kids by now.

In case you are wondering...abstinence is not an option for me.

In case you are wondering...abstinence is not an option for me.

Why not?

It seems you are so concerned with all the STI's and have not great luck with your condom use.....at 19 with 5 partners already you are certainly at high risk for an STI...

• Like 1
Why not?

It seems you are so concerned with all the STI's and have not great luck with your condom use.....at 19 with 5 partners already you are certainly at high risk for an STI...

I guess it was more of a rant than anything else. I'm not really looking for a solution because I don't think there is one. Sex is an important part of my life and I wish there were something more technologically advanced.

Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Excellent post, Raingate!

I think many of our readers will appreciate this.

It is important to note that with proper usage, condoms are pretty effective in protecting against pregnancy and STI's- (95-97% effective against pregnancy when used properly every time).

It is also important to note that although condoms DECREASE the chances on contracting many STI's, they do not prevent all transmission of STI's, even with proper use. That is why it's important to be tested and have your partner get tested before having sex.

Here is an interesting article that talks about the percentage of decreased incidence of contracting specific STI's with condom use:

link removed

And another interesting article about the history of condoms and their use and effectiveness today:

link removed

Although condoms, when used properly every time you have sex, can dramatically reduce your chances of getting pregnant or contracting an STI.... with human error and inappropriate usage, condom effectiveness actually falls more toward 85-88% effective.

Haha I did the condom on the banana thing in high school and as far as I'm aware, we're doing everything right.

I admit that I like it rough but surely they could stand up to that.

Are your partners getting the right size condoms for themselves?

Size errors can be a problem too- especially since you mentioned they slide off alot. Also, making sure they are rolled up all the way to the base of the penis (completely unrolled) will help prevent slippage as well. Added lubrication may also reduce the chance of the condom being pulled off during "rough" sex. They have some pretty cool lubes out there, including K Y warming jelly.... that might be worth a try!

Are your partners getting the right size condoms for themselves?

Size errors can be a problem too- especially since you mentioned they slide off alot. Also, making sure they are rolled up all the way to the base of the penis (completely unrolled) will help prevent slippage as well. Added lubrication may also reduce the chance of the condom being pulled off during "rough" sex. They have some pretty cool lubes out there, including K Y warming jelly.... that might be worth a try!

All but one of these partners has had a larger than average penis & used the regular size. Strangely enough, the one with the smaller penis never had a problem with them.

I've tried lubes but they just make me really irritated and I always make sure I'm ready (wet) before letting it in.

As for the brand, I've used various brands.

In my sexual history I have only had 3 condoms break now over the span of my sexual experience that seems like a relatively small percentage of the time compared to how many times that I have used them. Condoms need to be put on properly, or they have a higher likely hood of breaking.

As for the whole falling off thing, if that is a concern them perhaps trying a different brand of condoms or perhaps ones that we fitted to make them more secure.

In my experience I have had two condoms break, which are pretty good odds.

In one I was not on the pill, but after that I learned all about backup and the next time I was!

It is important you learn correct use and get proper sizing, and so forth. They aren't perfect, but they ARE a lot better than nothing!

In my current relationship we don't use condoms as we are monogamous, long term and both tested clean. I have an IUD (was on pill until a few months ago and I went off it for many personal reasons) which has an even higher effectiveness than the pill (less risk of "error") though it is not for everybody (and especially not those whom aren't monogamous) and we both are in a place in life where if it happened, we are prepared....though with me going back to school, we won't be AS prepared the next 3-4 years! But even so, we accept the risk there is, and so just go with the IUD now.

With my ex, all 3 times we used a Durex condom it would break. The other times we used a condom that Planned Parenthood gave me and they never broke. I don't trust Durex condoms at all.

Wow, as far as I know durex is the biggest company in the world for condoms, I think followed by trojan..

I thought they made all condoms one size fits all? I wonder if having sizes on the labels moreso for ego.

Yeah, I know there are different penis sizes; however, the things are made of rubber.

Anyway, condoms are 99% effective when it comes to defense against STI's...The primary failure is human error.

hopefully they do come out with a STD pill or something...until then rubbers are all we have.

I can't believe the number of posts on different forums where guys have had condom problems. I just wonder why, when I used them for so many years and never had a problem. I believe with ones that fit properly, are used properly, and have not exceeded their expiration date, these problems would go away.

Well first things first...

I'm pretty sure there won't be an STD pill (lol) coming out for a while... there are so many STDs, making one simple pill to combat them all would be, well not impossible, but the guy who invents that would be like a triple Einstein. It doesn't look like there's gona be a cure for AIDs (most damaging STD?) for a good long while.

As for condoms... I JUST CANT USE EM. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I just can't. It completely ruins sex for me, it's like drinking beer through a sock. It gets so bad sometimes even just putting one on makes me lose my wood I hate condoms soo bad.

Last week I went home with this girl and I was about to bone her, so I put on a rubber and... whaddya know. I was floppy as anything. ARGGHHH.*

Anyone else have this problems with condoms?

cheers.

*I was well drunk though lol.

I'm pretty sure there won't be an STD pill (lol) coming out for a while...

it's like drinking beer through a sock.

There won't be a pill to block STI's for a long long long time, if ever. It would be nice for it to actually happen though.

LMFAO I've never heard that one before. I thought I'd heard them all.