Ideas on how to lose weight quickly

In the last few weeks, I have noticed that I have become a lot more chunky and my pants and shorts were getting tight on me. I have also felt more tired and worn out easier, which isnt good. A few days ago I weighed myself and now I have gained another 5 lbs which puts me around 125 lbs which is NOT good since I am only 4'5". I really need to lose this weight because now it has caused me to go up one size (size 6 to 8 ). I want to stay a size 4 around 115 lbs. I know that a lot of you will say that I am NOT fat, but I feel fat and going up a pant size or two is NOT A GOOD THING.

I know I am not eating healthy and not getting enough exercise (although I swim about 45 minutes every other day). I get out of breath and my asthma acts up if I exercise or walk too much. I need to lose about 10-15 lbs in a matter of a few weeks because mother is coming home at the end of this month and she is NOT going to be AT ALL pleased with me when she sees me again.

Also, I want to feel less "weighed" down, more active, and feel better about myself. And being out in CA among people who seem to have it all together in success, money, and looks DOES NOT HELP!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot sing the praises of "group exercise" enough. I do the Les Mills "Body Attack" and "Body Combat" classes here in New Zealand. They are cardio/aerobic/toning classes that are an hour of exercise choreographed with music thanks to the help of energetic instructors.

You should aim to do some physical activity every day. Alternate high intensity with low intensity activity. For example, one day do some group exercise (high intensity) for an hour, the next day go for a walk/jog for an hour.

For fatburn, each session MUST be at LEAST 45 mins, and the pace should be at that which make conversation difficult.

NO exercise programme will work without proper diet. Surround your workspace and home with plenty of fruit. If you feel run down, and like you need sugar... have a fruit smoothie with lots of berries... I find that gives me even more of a hit than a chocolate bar!

I have weight trouble myself, and like you, I have problems keeping me from exercising (also have asthma). I found martial arts really effective. It hurt and I was out of breath when I started, but I quickly got stamina and the weight melted off! (Plus I could have cheesecakes guilt free

Have trouble with exercise now though, after a car accident that gave me whiplash so badly, the muscles and tendons in my back ripped apart.

They say pills with chromium are supposed to help you lose weight. I guess they work, but they work by making me a bit too nauseuous to eat I tried Weight-Smart one-a-day from the drugstore.

I also find changing foods help. I found cheese for instance, much more satisfying and filling than the equivalent calories in cookies.

Can I get rid of about 15 lbs in about 2 to 3 weeks? Also, is there any way for me to feel less weighed down and more energetic?

I want to look good again like when I first moved out here and I only weighed about 115 lbs.

Goouden Drack, are those diet pills you are talking about? Do they work quickly? If so, are they dangerous to take along with asthma meds (I am on daily asthma meds)

No, these are over-the-counter vitamin pills that happen to have "weight-losing" minerals in them. I take asthma medication, but not on a regular basis, so I don't know if yours would react to chromium. They don't work uber-quickly. 15-20 pounds is a lot to lose in less than a month! I'm afraid you'd be looking at 5-10 pounds if you took them as recommended (at least that's how it worked for me).

I also hear good things about drinking apple cider vinegar, but I was never able to drink enough of the stuff! (blah!)

I guess if you're not feeling energetic, the best thing to do is to look at your diet and see if there are anything with preservatives and chemicals you can eliminate. Also, maybe buy some weights or grab some heavy bottles and build a bit of muscle so your body burns a bit more calories at rest.

15 pounds in 3 weeks is REALLY unhealthy though... don't go overboard!

Can I get rid of about 15 lbs in about 2 to 3 weeks?

Yes you can, but you will need to be very committed, and its not the healthiest way to loose weight. You can loose up too 10% of your body weight based on water retention alone by deyhdrating yourself. Body builders do this before competitions so they look more "cut". You goal is achievable by a "shock and awe" progamme, but it will be hard work...

• Commit to one hour of exercise each day
  • Completely change your diet, avoid fats and sugars
  • Keep a modest water intake
  • Increase your fruit and vegetable intake

Also, is there any way for me to feel less weighed down and more energetic?

You want to loose weight ("Fatburn") and increase energy ("Cardio"). The best way to loose weight is to do fatburn exercise for an hour, then finish off with light weights. So, I recommend you split your days as follows:

Fatburn

1 hour Group Fitness

30mins Light Weights

Cardio

1 hour Jog/Walk

30mins Runing/Fast Biking

Goouden Drack, are those diet pills you are talking about? Do they work quickly? If so, are they dangerous to take along with asthma meds (I am on daily asthma meds)

I have seen many friends take diet pills and noticed results. But I have seem them make big changes in mood in those people. For best results, choose exercise that you find fun and try to involve your friends.

go to link removed and sign up, or join one of their meetings.

they are great, I swear. I'm back on the weight-loss thing myself too. (after being not so careful for a few years, my weight came back, but I am still a smaller size as I have more muscle than a few years ago).

you have to start today, eating healthy and keep exercising. It's like this - you can burn a lot of calories swimming, a couple hundred calories, but you can get them right back just by eating 1 candy bar or slice of cake! that is counter-productive.

don't be discouraged - you can do it! whenever I feel hopeless, I say, "the weight came on, it can come off too."

However, I don't think that 15 pounds in 2-3 weeks is very reasonable. The people I've noticed that have huge weight losses such as those are people who are 300 pounds or so. Their metabolism is basically BEGGING to get those pounds shed off. and most of it is water weight.

For most people, especially RW who is only 125, it might not be so easy to lose 15 pounds in a heart beat. However, don't be discouraged by a 1-2 pound weight loss per week.

As on the WW site:

1 pound = 4 sticks of butter

5 pounds = sack of potatoes

10 pounds = 8 cantaloupes

not too bad, huh?

Sometimes, I get discouraged by a 1 pound weight loss, but really, 4 sticks of butter is really something!

Ren,

Weight loss is a slow process. I've noticed the foods you've been eating in the What's the last thing you ate? thread. Ice cream, cake, cookies; baaad. It would be one thing if I came accross those every once in a while, but most of your posts in that thread seem to include some of those kinds of foods.

That said, I would definitely cut back on the sweets and other foods. Don't eat large meals during the day. Space out small meals and snacks, and watch your calorie intake. Learn how to read labels on food products, but don't inspect everything you eat. Just eat less of what your eating now (given that you cut out the sweets, eat them sparingly and in small amounts), and you'll start noticing changes over time.

It's not so much about what foods you do and don't eat, it's about how much of it you eat.

And like GD said, it's unhealthy to try and force yourself to lose weight fast. Your body can only go so fast, and if you try and push it beyond its limits, you could end up suffering the consequences. Just accept yourself for who you are, and with the right mindset and the right habits, you'll start noticing the changes before long.

Annie24, thanks for the encouragement. I know that if you arent eating right, it will nullify all the exercise you do. I really need to eat healthier and stop eating so much sweets and fats. The weightwatchers thing seems like a good idea. Do you eat the food they prescribe and/or their diet drinks?

Icemotoboy, I do exercise but I dont tend to exercise to the point that I wear myself out. I swim around the pool but mostly it is a leisurely swim that lets me stretch out and move my arms and legs. I know I need to have a exercise routine going. I just get out of breath and worn out very easily. Last week, I went for a long walk and I was out of breath and worn out halfway through the walk.

Gouden Draak, you are right, I need to adjust my diet so I can get more energy and lose some weight. I am eating way too much junk food and not enough fruits and veggies. Funny thing is, I seem to be eating less healthy since I moved out here than when I was living in Wisconsin. That's freaky since so many people out here are into their looks and weight issues.

RW, my advice is:

Eat Plenty of vegetables, avoid eating grains, unless they're whole....*Exception: Pizza! Whole grain pizza crust....Even I don't like it...

Walk, and I don't mean mosey about a golf course now and then, or walk around the block. I mean WALK. A LOT. Trails and hills if possible. It's really great fun, and great excercise.

Meat is fine, in moderation.

Legumes are your friends.

Don't eat or drink anything that has fake sugar, or fake fat on it. Don't eat or drink anything that says 'diet', 'light', or 'lowfat'.

Avoid sweets, such as cookies, cake, ice cream, donuts, chocolate. Sugar is not good for you. (a *little bit* here and there won't hurt.)

Don't eat potato chips, or other such junk. Or if you do, just have maybe a handful and that's it. That stuff is not good for you.

Don't drink soda pop, or at least limit it to no more than one can per day.

DO drink real juice, and when you do, always water it down with at least 75% water.

Eat real cheese, not velveeta, or 'American'.

You go girl. I recently cut out the more processed foods like white bread, cookies, cake, candy, etc and I feel so much better for it. I still splurge with a bit of chocolate now and then, and enjoy cheese and vegetables instead for my snacks.

Try also to get outside and just soak in a bit of sun. The sun makes our bodies make a chemical called serotonin. I feel SO much more energetic once I've gotten a bit of sun in me!

Thank you all for your ideas. I know I have to cut down on the sweets and soda and junk food. I guess maybe because I have been depressed and worried about things, I have been eating A LOT more lately.

I will lose the weight, hopefully by the time mom comes home, or at least by Sept or Oct. Mother is expecting me to go to a wedding of a family friend and her friends will be there. If l look like the way I look now, mother will be VERY displeased with me.

the beauty of WW is that NO foods are off limits. Basically, you can eat what you'd like, but make sure that it is within your "points" daily limit.

Foods get "points" depending on how many calories, fiber, and fat they have. Roughly, 50 calories = 1 point. Say you have a points goal of 22. Here is a sample day of a menu you can construct:

Breakfast:

1 point - half a banana

3 points - cereal + skim milk

0 points - coffee

Lunch:

5 points - Subway turkey sandwhich, lite mayo

2 points - baked chips

0 points - carrots

0 points - diet soda

Dinner:

4 points - grilled chicken breast

0 points - steamed vegetables

2 points - low fat mashed potatoes

Snacks:

2 points - skim latte

1 point - apple

2 points - 2 oreo cookies

So basically, you can eat what you'd like, but the caveats are 1) portion sizes. ie, if a serving size is 2 tablespoons, measure it out! And buy a measuring cup and make sure that you have the right sizes. most people overestimate serving sizes.

and also, eat more fruits and veggies to fill you up. ie, 5 apples have the same amount of points as 1 chocolate bar. sometimes, if you are hungry, it's better to eat an apple than to have a bar from the vending machine. but there are other times when chocolate is what you need to hit the spot. However, most of the time, you should reach for the apple as you'll feel full longer.

anyways... I have a lot to say on the topic. you should check out their website.

and maybe consider going to the meetings. you could meet a lot of nice people there! they are great and very supportive.

Annie24, thanks for your food breakdown. It makes it easier for me to see how portion sizes CAN affect your weight and what stuff has more calories. Both you and Iamteddybearfeelmecuddle have given me some good ideas on what to do to eat healthier. I know that I have a problem eating healthy and exercising on a regular basis.

Annie24, have you ever gone to a Weight Watchers meeting? Have you ever done Curves? I knew some women from my old work, who were into Curves.

Because fake sugar does something to you that makes you crave MORE of it. Real sugar satisfies better than fake sugar.

Also, diet and light are kinda misleading. I noticed that a diet cookie tasted worse than a real one, yet only had 10 calories less. I'd rather have the real cookie! Also when it says diet or light, you feel like you can have more of it because it says diet or light (and then you see the nutrituon label... oops).

While there's nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight you gained, please please pleaaase be healthy in doing so. I can't tell you how many friends I've had who to this day still are obsessive about everything they eat, and it's a sad sight. (I used to be like this when I was losing my "freshman fifteen" and it took a long time to get over it.)

For one thing, 15 pounds in 2 to 3 weeks is just a scary amount to lose. I wouldn't aim for that at all. Nutritionists agree that a 1 to 2 pound loss a week is healthy weight loss which will STAY off. Yes, this sounds slow, but it's a life change! Slowly cut out the junk food, eat more fruit and veggies (it helps more than you can believe. It will make you too full to eat junk food) and if you drink soda, definitely cut that out or switch to diet soda. Take baby steps, cutting one thing at a time. You will probably have cravings, but if you don't give in or give in only minorly they eventually dissipate. I don't advice going cold turkey and suddenly changing your whole eating habits around, as this sets you up for binges, which will make you feel awful both physically and mentally/emotionally.

The weightwatchers thing seems like a good idea.

My personal belief is that weight watchers works, but it's hard to stay on for life. It also can make you really obsessive about "points" (ie: calories) b/c you're forced to count them. I don't believe in calculating what I'm eating or how much I'm burning when I exercise. Can you imagine doing that for life? ("Butter on my bread, 3 points. Oh nuts, 3 points? Okay, that means 3 less points at dinner. Or maybe 1 less at lunch, 2 less for dinner? AGHH.")

II just get out of breath and worn out very easily. Last week, I went for a long walk and I was out of breath and worn out halfway through the walk.

Hey, that's okay! Exercise is definitely something that get easier the more you do it. And if you're worn out from walking halfway (like panting, sweat dripping worn out) then you've probably worked out enough for YOUR body at this point. Eventually, your stamina will increase and you'll be able to walk the whole way before getting worn out, and then that will be enough for your body at THAT point. Just make a commitment to exercising on a routinely basis, and change your exercise up. Walk one day, bike the next, swim another, etc.

Gouden Draak, you are right, I need to adjust my diet so I can get more energy and lose some weight. I am eating way too much junk food and not enough fruits and veggies. Funny thing is, I seem to be eating less healthy since I moved out here than when I was living in Wisconsin. That's freaky since so many people out here are into their looks and weight issues.

Originally Posted by iamteddybearfeelmecuddle

Don't eat or drink anything that has fake sugar, or fake fat on it. Don't eat or drink anything that says 'diet', 'light', or 'lowfat'.

yeah, I kind of disagree with this also, but also see the point.

I guess it is important to have as much natural food as possible that isn't processed.

But, lowfat and fat-free foods can be good if eaten in moderation. Just because the chips are low fat does not mean you can eat the entire bag!

In fact, many low-fat and fat free foods can have just as many calories as the real thing, as the manufacturers add more sugar to make the product taste better without fat.

however, if you've taken any biochem classes, you'll know that the body will either burn the sugar, and convert the rest into fat. so, it's not really "fat-free" now is it.

I think moderation is key. it's probably best not to subsist on 2 L of diet coke a day (like I do sometimes, as I'm addicted to the stuff!) lately, I've been trying to drink more water, and cut down to a can or 2 of diet coke per day.

Annie24, thanks for your food breakdown. It makes it easier for me to see how portion sizes CAN affect your weight and what stuff has more calories. Both you and Iamteddybearfeelmecuddle have given me some good ideas on what to do to eat healthier. I know that I have a problem eating healthy and exercising on a regular basis.

Annie24, have you ever gone to a Weight Watchers meeting? Have you ever done Curves? I knew some women from my old work, who were into Curves.

I've been to a lot of WW meetings. they are great. they help motivate you, help you figure out what triggers your eating (boredom, stress, sadness), and try to find positive ways to deal with those emotions (ie, calling a friend, taking a walk, going swimming).

I think you can go to a sample meeting for free. check their website.

oh, another thing.... have you found a job there since moving? i know this might sound really simple, but if you had a job you were busy with, you'd have less time to eat. I've found when I'm really busy with work, I barely have time to think about food. You might lose those 15 pounds in a snap if you are occupied and busy.

Annie24, I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason why I have gained so much weight recently is because I am lonely and bored. I seem to eat more when I am bored, although when I WAS working, I was bored at my job, but I didnt seem to eat as much as I do now. I am still unemployed although that is going to change when after I come back from Chicago. When I come back from this trip, I am going to jump wholeheartedly into finding a job since I need the money. I am also looking forward to Sept because I start school in Sept (I am finish out my teaching degree starting in Sept).

I think what you should do right away, is journal EVERYTHING you eat! even if it is just a small slice of cheese or a cracker from the sample cart at the grocery store.

no cheating!

just putting it down on black and white may help you analyze your "trouble times" and maybe you can find a good way to work around them?

for example, I eat very healthy until about 7 PM, then I get an urge to snack and a slice or two of chocolate cake can kill your good progress. I've tried to deal with my chocolate craving by having a small cup of hot cocoa instead after dinner.