I went to Dominican a couple years ago and met a young couple on the plane who were getting married there. They didn't tell their family and had no friends with them, so they asked my bf and I to witness it. It seemed so exciting!!

Just curious.... what are your thoughts about running away & getting married somewhere without telling anyone?

Anyone done it? How was the experience?

I did it back in 1981, and since I've only been married once, there was nothing to compare it to. We got a license, made our promises and felt married without family involvement. Her folks hated me and mine thought she was too nice for me so I shouldn't get my hopes up.

This summer we'll get divorced in a similar way.

I went to Dominican a couple years ago and met a young couple on the plane who were getting married there. They didn't tell their family and had no friends with them, so they asked my bf and I to witness it. It seemed so exciting!!

Just curious.... what are your thoughts about running away & getting married somewhere without telling anyone?

Anyone done it? How was the experience?

I would love to "elope"...but not in the way of not telling my family. They are so incredibly important to me and I would not rob them of that experience too, I would miss them too much not being there, and regret it in the future...so would definitely bring them along (as well as my boyfriend's family of course!).

However, my mother is fully supportive of me doing something small, and running away somewhere to do it (as long as she can come!) or even doing something spur of the moment more local, and I agree. I am not much for a big fancy expensive affair and would prefer something small and intimate.

I heard on the radio the other day with the daily question "how long were you together before you got married". One guy called in and said he knew his wife for 6 hours in Vegas (they met because she was a bridesmaid of their mutual friends wedding) and they decided to get married for fun right after. They have been together for 35 years now and are still as happy as the day they met. I think those stories are so amazing!!

It's a personal decision, good for those who don't want a big wedding. But on the flip side, if you only plan on being married once, don't you want to celebrate the day with people who love you? Even if it isn't a big deal to you, it might be a big deal to them and something they want to be a part of. You can have a small wedding, even go to a justice of the piece. But a moment like that is best shared with those you love.

I did it back in 1981, and since I've only been married once, there was nothing to compare it to. We got a license, made our promises and felt married without family involvement. Her folks hated me and mine thought she was too nice for me so I shouldn't get my hopes up.

This summer we'll get divorced in a similar way.

Dako, you have the same deadpan humor in your writing that Kurt Vonnegut does, lol.

I think eloping would be exciting, too, but it would hurt my mother and sister terribly if I got married without them being present. And so I wouldn't have any kind of wedding where they weren't there. But if I ever do get married, it's going to be small and intimate. I'm just not the Bridezilla type.

Dako, you have the same deadpan humor in your writing that Kurt Vonnegut does, lol.

That's funny.

I love that man. I've always accepted his definition of love. He said it's that feeling he has while wrestling on the floor with his black Lab.

The only way that I'll ever get married is if it's a small, intimate ceremony. I love attending large ceremonies, but I just never see myself having one. It just wouldn't be "me".

Eloping completely and not telling anyone is something I wouldn't do. I'd still want my closest friends and family there.

If friends/ family eloped, I'd be happy for them. Then again, I'm not a parent! I just wouldn't take it personally if a couple I knew eloped. It's about their lives, not mine. I'd want them to do what made them happy first. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't be a little bit disappointed.

I go by the KISS philosophy - Keep it simple, stupid.

The way I see it, you only need a few things: bride, groom, priest/justice of the peace, ring, best man, maid of honor, and of course...... the wedding cake!

Nothing fancy needed. I'll pass on the midgets dancing with the paper mushrooms or the live string quartet......

Some families are just different.

In my case, eloping didn't hurt anyone. Nobody in either family wanted to go to a wedding. Our parents never met, and over the years no one ever expressed any opinion at all about not seeing us get married.

Our gay friends made a big deal of it and threw us a party, but our families just didn't express interest.