Do you feel it necessary to get married?

I hear you about family. Sometimes family is a pain in the butt. Not quite a Hallmark ad or a Norman Rockwell painting, but still meanigful.

Saying "I do" still felt like a serious step.

I think it should be all about the couple, but sometimes it gets beyond that.

And if you are going to say it, it should be serious.

I know what you mean. I don't know why, but I really feel like I want to get married. Maybe it has something to do with making our commitment public, or for the security of having committed to eachother, but there is nothing I would like more than being engaged to my awesome boyfriend. However he has admitted to being a bit afraid of the big commitment and one said we were 'engaged to be engaged' and so I guess for now I just have to wait!

Reverting back to Day_Walkers post about marriage - I mostly agree. It is very idealistic.

Saying that it's a "necessity" is going too far. Marriage is ideal for many people. I think the ceremony itself plays a big part in our ideal marriage because when you think of a wedding, you envision white dress, a tuxedo, a crowd of people, etc.

I've read in one than more source that married people live longer. Of course, this really can't be proven. My opinion of why people believe this is because when you love someone and have another person to care for (besides yourself); this can make you a happier person and make your life more meaningful.

So, is marriage a necessity? No, it's not vital for you to live. But love as a whole does give more meaning to life.

Saying that it's a "necessity" is going too far. Marriage is ideal for many people.

Agreed.

Actually, the older I get, the less I see actual value and point to marriage. When I was younger, I probably could have described my "ideal wedding", but now I really can't see myself accepting a marriage proposal. I just don't see the long-term benefits of it, especially when all of the married couples around me seem half-miserable.

I don't actually believe that we're meant to mate for life. Some people, through a combination of compatibility, respect, and understanding of their partners, can make it work, which I think is beautiful and romantic. However, I've yet to make a connection with anyone that would warrant me saying, "yes, I promise to spend the rest of my life with you". That's a very big, and very serious promise to make. I think too many people take these promises too lightly, which is where things get ugly, there are children involved, etc. There is no way that I'd say those vows until I was 200% sure that I MEANT every word.

Forever is a very long time. People change. I guess I'm just not one of those people who believes in "for better or worse". If it gets TOO bad, I'm outta there. I just can't promise someone that I'll always be there when I don't know if I can. It's not fair.

That's fair enough, Ocean Eyes.

I do think that too many people take the marital commitment too flippantly, and don't really mean it when they say "for better or for worse" .. often it's "as long as I feel like being around". But it's good to have self-knowledge in this area.

I don't think that marriage is necessary for everyone to be happy. It depends on the personality. Some people can be happy being single. Some people can be happy in long-term committed relationships outside of marriage (seems odd to me, but makes sense to other people). It just depends on the personality of the individual involved and what they want out of life.

I really think it depends on the people. Some people like being committed without having a legal bind. And some people hold great value in fully committing every part of their life to a person through marriage. For me, personally, I think that legal binding is very important.

• 4 weeks later...