i wish i knew how i felt about everything.

ugh. ok. so my teacher asked me a very simple question today. one that bothered me the rest of the day. one that made me angry and confused and upset the rest of the day. he asked...

are you depressed?

okay so he didn't just come out like that, but for the most part it's how it sounds.

now if i, in his class, was acting this way, then sure, i can understand why he would ask me such a question. but i wasn't. i was the complete opposite. well, i don't really like anyone in that class but i laugh and i participate. now it's been a hard few months for me. i've had a lot going on and i've been feeling guilty and angry and many other things. now i've been ok. these types of problems almost always find there way to me. but now that my teacher asked me such a question i've been thinking whether or not im actually dealing with anything. i mean ok, i'm angry, and feeling guilty. ok. now what? my general trend is to cover it up. and when im not with my friends i've just realized that i'm not the happy person everyone thinks i am. i don't think im clinicly (sorry sp?) depressed or anythign like that b/c i've been there and im ways away from that. i just don't know how to cover up how i feel. i never talk about it and im very uncomfortable talking about it. and i know that i have online friends i can talk to but other than that is there anythign i can do? i don't know where im headed. i want to be happy and for the most part i am.. i think. i just wish i knew how i felt. and i know i've totally just babbled my way throught this and most of it doesn't make sense but i don't want to head anywhere that i don't want to be. ugh. im so frustrated with myself.

Hey On The Road, Some people are intuitive and can tell how we really feel whether or not we're displaying overt signs of depression. I find it interesting that you feel angry and guilty that your teacher noticed something was bothering you despite your attempts to cover it up. May I ask why you feel the need to cover it up? What exactly makes you feel uncomfortable or guilty?

Feelings are important. They let us know how we truly think and feel about things. You can repress them and push them away as much as you want, but until you fully experience them and resolve whatever those feelings are telling you is the problem, they'll just keep coming back.

The only way I know of getting rid of them is to work through them. The good news is Enotalone is a great place to do that!

I had a teacher ask me why I was such a loner lol...well not in those words exactly.

At the time I thought it was funny.

This teacher cares and is in a good position to ask such things. Take it as an indication that maybe you aren't dealing with everything as well as you think.

You do not want to be feeling angry and guilty.

As much as you would like to hope these things don't get to you, they will. Without your control they will influence your attitude and behaviour.

You have to deal with what is making you feel this way.

If they are things that can be chaged then change them.

If they are things that should be avoided then avoid them.

these types of problems almost always find there way to me

You shouldn't accept that these problems should just be accepted. This will only make it harder to fight the anger and guilt and related feelings.

You are not supposed to face such problems - you are also not expected to be invincible in the face of them.

If you have reason to be sad, being sad is not a weakness.

Covering things up is NOT the way to deal with them...you can only sweep so much dust beneath the rug before you walking on a rug covered sand dune.

You do not have to, and should not, face these things alone. You really should talk about them and aim to prevent them from getting you down if that is possible.

Maybe you could see the school counsellor, it would definitely be worth it. Just find someone who will lend an understanding ear.

Many people are uncomfortable talking about their feelings and trying to face their problems...it is not an easy thing to do. But it is a valuable thing.

Everyone at enotalone is prepared to help and give guidance and so you have many people here who are willing to help and listen.

Take care.

Funny story about teachers being concerned: My third grade teacher was concerned that I was too serious and quiet. Being a fun loving and playful person herself, she gave me an assignment. Each day I had permission from her to spend 15 minutes in class goofing off. Now, most kids would love that. Not me. I mean, I can do that at recess or at home. Shouldn't class time be for learning?

But teachers like that are cool. They care about the students, more then grades, they really care about the person. That's one reason she's always been one of my favorite teachers ever.

If you are having problems and feel upset, it is best to talk about them with someone. Covering it up doesn't solve anything, it justs lets the feelings boil under the surface until eventually they come out in some way you won't want them to. Avoiding issues just makes them worse. I know because my whole family, other then me, seems to be that way. And that's a big reason that so many issues still remain unresolved and relationships are strained.

Talk to who you feel comfortable with... family, trusted friends, a school counselor, whomever you feel you can talk to. But the important thing is to talk through things instead of covering them up.

I think it's good that your teacher has asked you, as he is obviously concerned... and I love teachers like that because they are the ones who ARE the good teachers, the ones who look out for their students and want them to succeed..

Sometimes you might feel a bit angry/depressed/frustrated if someone asks you something that hits a bit close to home.

You might think that your problems aren't important and that no one can be bothered to hear them, but you shouldn't think that way. If you feel you have a problem, or something that isn't sitting right with you - even if it's a small thing niggling at you, you should tell someone! A friend, your parent/s, siblings, even if you are comfortable talking to your teacher about it... Get it off your chest, and I promise you that you will feel a weight lifting off you... you will feel so much better.