Cant get drunk?

SO here is my problem, any information would be greatly appreciated. Im a 16 year old guy, really skinny, about 6 foot 1 and 1/2 and about 147 pounds. Anyway, i dont think i can get drunk? the times i have tried i was with a few close friends, and both times with liquour. I would drink some and then feel terribly ill. The first time, my friend who is about the same weight as me was feeling the effects but i did not , then i became ill and vomited. The second time i had barely two shots and felt sick. the third time i spaced my drinks out and did not feel sick for the most part, but none of these times did i feel the effects. I am on zoloft if that helps ( although i have read elsewhere this would not have these effects ). Anyone have this problem or heard of it? thanks, i realllllly wanna get drunk....

Take it as a good thing..being "drunk" isn't all that great...being tipsy on the otherhand ....

Zoloft DOES have an effect...any anti-depressants will.. I was on Lexipro for about 3 months, and wow...I got off of it about a month ago, when I went out with the girls...and ended up getting carried out by 4 bouncers because I was way too drunk...and it was definitely the medication. I drank 3 times as much last weekend...and I was cool. I'm on Zoloft now, and I must sacrafice...not too much to drink.

You're body just might not be able to tolorate it that much as it is...so when you're on these medications...just remember that you're enhancing your alcohol intake....

I am just like you, I can't get drunk either, even though I do not drink except for Christmas parties and New Years. I've never been drunk, but I have been tipsy once in my life (10 years ago) and even though the tipsy effects wore off in a few hours (2 margaritas, 2 bloody mary and three shots of some spanish liquor that I slept off the train ride home.) I still had a hangover the next morning. Not worth the reward.

i realllllly wanna get drunk....

A little piece of advice because you are so young: I just watched the autobiography on Jake The Snake Roberts, one of my all-time favorite wrestlers. Anyway, he was addicted to alcohol to the point where it held his career back. As good as he was, he could've been even greater if it weren't for booze. Anyway, he said this: "When you start drinking, you do it because you like it. Then later on, you do it because you can't stop."

If you want to get drunk and have fun with the boys that's fine. Just don't make it a habit because it can turn into an addiction before you know it. Sorry for my 2¢, I just had to point that out. ](*,)

It probably has a lot to do with the kind of alcohol you are drinking. What exactly are you drinking? If you drink a rum & coke, probably nothing will happen. But if you drink 4...

I can drink silver (clear) Tequilla and it messes me up, but only certain BRANDS do it. Others, like gold, just give me an instant headache! Go figure!

I used to be able to drink 4 shots of vodka at lunch and would only get a buzz. I was, at the time, 6' 4" and 135 pounds. Do you think a fast metabolism has anything to do with it? Sure, probably. Body chemistry can have an effect. As can drugs like Zoloft.

Are you Asian? Many Asian people cannot drink because they have an intolerance of some type towards alcohol and it makes them sick.

If anything, drinking on an empty stomach can make you drunk fast, but sick fast too. Drinking on a full stomach can lessen the effects. There are all sorts of varaibles.

If you don't want to get sick, drink more water while you are drinking - it can help.

Anyway, you're not missing much if you can't get drunk. I've been like that for a long while and I'm glad to be able to be in control.

Hah, I dont know about that, I think you're just taking in too much liquor. You keep saying you're not getting drunk?...yet you also say you're getting ill and throwing it up. Possibly you're not eating enough while or before drinking and the alcohol won't settle well with your stomach. Either way, if you keep getting sick and vomiting, then ....it makes sense, yea you're not goin to get drunk if the alcohol does not dissolve into your bloodstream, sure a little bit will, but not enough to make you more than buzzed because you're vomiting it before it can take it's "effect." Try drinking slower...like someone said, maybe beer, but drink it over a much longer period of time, even mix in some liquor if you want, I'm sure you'll get what you want without vomiting it.

I would check to see if you are allergic. If you are feeling sick before getting drunk means you are probably allergic. Trust me, if you drink enough you will get drunk. In your case, you will probably get very sick. If you can drink 8 beers or three martinis and not get drunk, but sick, then you are allergic. That is probably a good thing!

ocrob

hmm I guess different asians respond differently. I'm asian and I have the "asian" problem, but it doesn't mean I can't get drunk, or that I feel sick. But I definitely feel "symptoms".

For instance, I get very very read, very hot, and my heart starts beating really hard. It feels like its going to pop out of my chest. I've never felt sick from it though, just uncomfortable.

Some people, for whatever reason, can not handle alcohol very well. I would consider that a blessing. I have dealt with my share of drunk people and even alcoholics, it is not fun or pretty. Being drunk has serious consequences and isn't something fun or great like its made out to be.

Why do you feel the need to get drunk? You can such a better time without alcohol.

Sheyda, that is an assumption, based on the fact that women are generally slimmer, and smaller than men.

No, it is something to do with the enzymes, again; I read it in a biology article ages ago. Plus my brother is about the same size as me (actually he is skinnier) and he can drink lots of alcohol and he will only go a bit red and nothing else will happen. My father is the same even though I am taller than him and he is a full-blooded Chinese. In theory, if it is related to people's size, I should be able to tolerate alcohol more than my brother and especially more than my father since I am only half Chinese.

Some people, for whatever reason, can not handle alcohol very well. I would consider that a blessing. I have dealt with my share of drunk people and even alcoholics, it is not fun or pretty. Being drunk has serious consequences and isn't something fun or great like its made out to be.

Why do you feel the need to get drunk? You can such a better time without alcohol.

What's true for you isn't true for everyone else. I have lots of fun drinking. That doesn't mean I don't have fun when i'm not drinking, but its still something that can be fun. You don't have to question why he wants to drink as if its a bad thing.

What's true for you isn't true for everyone else. I have lots of fun drinking. That doesn't mean I don't have fun when i'm not drinking, but its still something that can be fun. You don't have to question why he wants to drink as if its a bad thing.

Personally, I have I can have every bit as much fun and more not drinking. And after watching people I love destroy their lives with alcohol, it is a sensitive topic for me. So if I can ever warn people of the possible dangers, I take the opportunity. I did not tell him to never drink, I merely warned him of possible consequences and asked why he wants to get drunk.

It is one thing to say you want to have A drink. However, he intentionally wants to get drunk, which is something much different and which is a warning sign. He is also underage, and his body will not be able to take the alcohol as well. I just want him to realize that it isn't a bad thing if he can't have alcohol or get drunk, and that he shouldn't feel bad about it. He can still have fun, he can still have a great time.

Wanting to get drunk is no kind of warning sign and its not a bad thing. Anyhow, my objection was not to your opinions, but to them being universal. For instance "You can such a better time without alcohol"...thats your opinion, but its not necessarily true.

I know what you're saying, I just thought it was worded in a way that could have been better. You have your fun, I'll have mine, and we'll both be happy

Not alone in my thoughts or how I word it.

I think that if you need alcohol to have the best time possible, that is an indicator of a deeper issue you need to deal with. If you are at a concert with your absolute favorite singer in the world, do you really need the alcohol to have a blast? If you are spending the night in the arms of the person you love more then anything or anyone else, how is alcohol going to make that better? You can have a better time without alcohol, no matter who you are. Otherwise, people wouldn't complain about their partners getting drunk cause that would just make it better.

I think that if you need alcohol to have the best time possible, that is an indicator of a deeper issue you need to deal with. If you are at a concert with your absolute favorite singer in the world, do you really need the alcohol to have a blast? If you are spending the night in the arms of the person you love more then anything or anyone else, how is alcohol going to make that better? You can have a better time without alcohol, no matter who you are. Otherwise, people wouldn't complain about their partners getting drunk cause that would just make it better.

lol...ok then.

• 2 weeks later...

I like trying to get drunk once in a while myself. I am also Asian so I am having a fairly hardtime with it so far. Usually I can get to the point of feeling warm, but not much else, I know my levels so I don't vomit, seems the trick is to drink it fast so you don't taste it, with ones I don't like the taste of, the only stuff I can say with certain that I am fond of is Smirnoff Ice.

Maybe ur body is allergic to it, yes I agree with wut that post say and not resistent to any type of liquor. I just had my first, well actually second, but this time it was more than just one drink and did felt the effect. Or it can also depend on wut type of alcohol u having. But, maybe u might want to stop, it's doing u no good if u can't enjoy a couple of drinks and get sick.

• 11 months later...
I am on zoloft if that helps ( although i have read elsewhere this would not have these effects ).

SSRI's like zoloft are terrible for drinking. What you're experiencing is similar to what a few people I've known have experienced on the drug (and celexa and paxil). It just makes you sick instead of drunk... and it's also dangerous.

I don't know why you're on zoloft, but you'll probably want to stick with it instead of quitting so that you can drink.

If you want to separate yourself from your "self"... I'd recommend marijuana. Or if you're taking zoloft for an anxiety disorder, you can also get a benzodiazpine like klonopin (tranquilizers) as a supplement from your doctor. Those are quite nice and wont harm you one bit (just dont over dose or get addicted).

Stay away from the drink.

• 1 year later...

My advice is to drink whisky with coke. Dont bother with the ice as it obviously waters the drink down slighty as it melts. this way if you drink at least 10+ doubles and coke (in a half glass) you are garanteed to get drunk (obviously even more is better). With it being mixed with coke you are minimising the chances of being sick whilst still consuming high amounts of whisky. I hope this helps, it did for me and i was like you at one point and couldnt get drunk either until i was enlightened to the wonderful world of whisky. I still to this day cant get drunk off lager. Whisky is where its at if you want to gey drunk.