Where do you cut???(a poll)

Moon Goddess

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Piper182, don't let the mind-numbing weight of life's disappointment keep you in a corner! There's so much joy and pain and potential and disappointment to go and (excuse the pun) cut yourself on, out there.

"fully fuctional hermit for two years now" - as in no direct contact? Fascinating...

I am a college student. I say fully functioning because I go to my classes, I do my work (after much procrastination), but other than going to the foodstore, I stay in my room. I have gone entire weekends only leaving my room to go to the bathroom next door. Human contact just isn't as important to me as it used to be. If it were up to me, I probably would never leave my room, but even in my depression, I know I have to be able to find a crappy job when I graduate.

Where do you cut?

Where ever it will get you the most attention right?

Ever notice the people "cutting" them selves are almost exclusively female. Not that all women acting suicidal or self degrading are intentionally using it to get attention but women can and do use cutting and playing suicidal as a way to get attention because our society values women more than males and there is always some dumb looser who will lavish a attention starved girl with praise if she's not treating her self well.

If you want self worth don't expect some one else to give it to you by ordaining your body with cries for help. Dedicate your self to some thing you love what ever it may be. Painting, Writing, some thing that makes you feel alive. For me it's astronomy(Not Astrology). The more interesting of a person you become the more self worth you will generate. It really works. I've been in the depths of isolated brain chemistry driven depression and more than any thing else, dedicating my self to my passion is what got me out of it.

Self-harm is always a sign of emotional distress and that something is seriously wrong. People self-harm for a number of reasons. For some people, self-harm provides the means to cope with overwhelming emotions- a way to control feelings of helplessness and powerlessness. For others, self-harm temporarily combats feelings of numbness to the world around them.

No single factor has been shown to predict self-harm. A combination of pressures in home and school life, such as being bullied at school, not getting on with parents, parental divorce, unwanted pregnancy, abuse, rape, bereavement, entering care and mental health problems such as depression, can all lead people to self-harm.

Reports show that 1 in 10 teenagers self-harm, but the true figure could be even higher as most incidents of self-harm are treated at home and will not reach the attention of services or professionals. Although some very young people and some adults do self-harm, rates are much higher in young people.

It is important to bear in mind that everybody's experience is unique, and there are no universal rules or reasons for self-harm.

Self-harm is a deeply personal thing. Individuals are likely to have a preferred method and part of the body for self-harm. Because of the complex feelings involved, people often keep self-harm well hidden from friends and family and they may go to great lengths to avoid showing the area of the body that they harm.

Self-harm is not a reaction that switches on and off. Most people that self-harm go through periods where they feel more vulnerable to self-harm, and periods where they are able to cope with things that would normally make them self-harm.

Whilst self-harm is ultimately damaging and may be dangerous, for many people it provides a method of coping with life. It is important to remember the level of distress that has led to the self-harm. This is particularly important for friends, parents, teachers or youth workers who may become aware of the issue and wish to raise it with the individual. Taking away a person's means of self-harm can increase the emotional distress and make the situation worse.

Originally Posted by enixon

Where do you cut?

Where ever it will get you the most attention right?

Sorry, I'm here to break your stereotype - I'm male, I've been cutting for months, and no one knows. Not my wife, not people walking past me on the sidewalk. I mostly cut my left wrist (which my wife [or, anyone] WOULD notice if she ever looked), although a tiny bit to face and shoulder.

Attention? Last thing I need is that! What - to be branded by labels and assumptions? Since nothing would be solved? No, thanks!

I suppose, eventually, this will come-out (or, I might, one day, go-ahead and "do-up" my face with absolutely no intention other than to tell this world to go F'! itself), and, I'm quite certain that I will loath and regret any and all "attention" that will accompany.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, I can't see how a person can define his or her self-worth based on the attitude established by other people. If a woman were to want attention from a man, then there are a thousand quicker, easier, and far less costly methods to obtain it than SA/SI! No, sorry, SA/SI is a serious coping disorder dealing with significant personal issues for each subject. Still, it is good that you laid-out an attitude that is probably common-place, if not prevelant.

I cut my fingers, not with a blade but with my teeth, and I've done it all my life...at least I can't remember a time when I didn't. I can tell you one thing, I sure don't do it for attention. And I have no explanation as to why it happens. Sometimes I won't do it to a seriously painful level, only slight tears. Today was different. There are times the pain is severe after a session and I use a triple antibiotic with pain killer and bandages, sometimes three or four fingers are injured that badly. I will bite so hard and tell myself NO! And I'll be reading something and the next thing I know I take another chunk.

I'm sure to an outsider this looks like a cry for attention, but it certainly isn't. I try my best to hide the wounds when I give the attendant at the gym my scan card. Same thing at the grocery store, just keep them hidden or or it's bad enough I'll use a bandage.

Archived