What to do with old instant messenger chat logs of your ex??

So I broke up with my ex a few weeks ago who I had been seeing for a year. We have some contact but its tapered off alot since we broke up. However, I still have all the old MSN chat logs from the past year we had been dating. I admit I look at them from time to time.

What should I do with these? Should I erase them and let the past be the past or should I keep them around so maybe I can learn different things from them about relationships for future girlfriends? There were good things and bad things in these chat logs.

I am asking this question because I'm sure it concerns almost everybody on this forum who is going thru a breakup...yet i havent found a post on this question so far.

Delete them immediately otherwise you'll start to question old dead issues. Its hard to do because there's some good stuff there too, but in the end out of site out of mind is the best. I know I just went through some digital photos of me and my ex and it was hard to get rid of them because we looked happy and good in them, but it was better to just delete them.

I disagree with the bulk of these replies, but it is really up to you. Personally I would save them to a disk, or print them out depending on how lengthy they are. Then I would stash them away in a box and leave them alone for a very, very long time.

Even for my most painful breakups, I've always saved memorabilia/old letters, photos, etc. I know a lot of people who burn things while they are emotional. But that seems strange to me because it's almost as if you're trying to erase a part of your past.

Someday, a year or two from now, you'll look back in rememberance. For now, keep these out of sight until you've fully healed. Or delete them, if that's what you feel is best. But you may later regret it. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Save them to a .txt file, email it to yourself, and put it in email archives. Afterwards, delete it from your computer. If you want to be safe, send it to two of your email addresses (make sure they are different domains. ex email removed and email removed) just in case one of them goes down for some unknown reason.

Chuck it! What's the point in keeping them....are you really going to look back at them years from now. They only had significance because you were together. I mean really, imagine yourself a couple years from now, happily coupled with the latest love of your life; are you going to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon reminiscing about a dead relationship? Probably not.

After my first relationship, I kept things thinking that they would still be important one day. Truth is, they weren't. Now, when I know that it's really over, everything goes. Birthday cards, post cards, love letters, photos where you look bad and they look great, all those gifts you pretended to love - in the garbage! Harsh? Maybe, but from my experience I've found that to be reality of the situation.

In my opinion, everyone comes into my life and passes through for a reason, so I enjoy keeping small rememberances. I have old love letters that I get a chuckle from finding today, from ten years ago. At the time, being dumped by the popular high school senior felt like the end of the world. Now when I come accross things I look back and say, "Oh ya, I remember him!" and smile, remembering the role he played in my life then, and how far I've come and evolved since that portion of my life.

I dont know. I may just be more sentimental than most. I just love finding old things at random, weird times.

I hold no bitterness towards any of my breakups, so perhaps that is why it's easier for me to hold onto things. It's ultimately up to you, if you feel keeping a novel of chat logs is a hinderance or worth it or not. I don't know if I'd keep a log, although I'd probably hold onto something small as a token of my newly passed relationship.

Remember, if you're not healed yet and decide to save some of these logs, put them far far away. Bury them if you have to.

Ok I have burned them all to a cd and erased them from my computer. So I cant access them easily anymore. I am going to leave the cd at my moms house so I wont be able to look at them when I want to haha.

One step at a time. This way I still know I have them but I wont look at them all the time and feel depressed haha.

If you can handle it - keep them.

If you can't handle it - delete them.

I had to delete all emails and chats that I saved from ex boyfriend because I kept looking at them all the time and felt stuck in the past. I couldn't move on knowing they were so easily accessible. While they were lovely messages, funny messages and sentimental messages, it was the worst thing I could do by constantly reading them.

It was a gutwrenching decision to delete them all but very liberating when I did.