Girls and shopping

OKay, yesterday I was talking to a guy, and he told me how important is is for his relationship with his wife that he go shopping with her. He said the many girls are upset that thier boyfriends / husbands won't go clothes shopping or shoe shopping with them. For many girls, shopping is thier favourite hobby, and many of them would like to bring thier boyfriend / husband along, but many of them don't want to go. So I have a question...for the girls...if you like shopping, how important is it for you that you bring your husband / boyfriend along? Could clothes shopping really be a romantic adventure?

DN, I also hate shopping. I make a shopping list, pick up what I need, and get out of there.

But if you love someone, and it is important to them, then I feel that it is showing that you care by doing the thing that they love doing, even if you don't like it. I mean, if I like watching planes. If I had a girlfriend, I would expect that she come with me to watch planes, even if she hates it. Its about showing love and respect. The same goes for shopping.

DN, I also hate shopping. I make a shopping list, pick up what I need, and get out of there.

But if you love someone, and it is important to them, then I feel that it is showing that you care by doing the thing that they love doing, even if you don't like it. I mean, if I like watching planes. If I had a girlfriend, I would expect that she come with me to watch planes, even if she hates it. Its about showing love and respect. The same goes for shopping.

True, I don't say I never go. But I also would not ask her to go plane watching every weekend when I know she is hating every boring, frustrating, back-aching, foot-hurting, eye-glazing, head-aching, bank-account diminishing second of it.

I'll answer from a girl's perspective, however I don't speak for us all.

I actually don't really enjoy shopping, like I only go when I absolutley need to, which isn't often. If my boyfriend didn't want to go, I wouldn't force him to. He usually does want to go and it's nice having his company, but if he didn't want to I wouldn't be mad or feel like he hated me.

I actually really dislike those girls you see around the mall who are like dragging the guy (who obviously doesn't want to be there) around. Actually there was this one time that me and my boyfriend were shopping in the guys section (for my boyfriend) and there was this girl and guy and the girl kept dragging her boyfriend over to every shirt and holding the shirt up to him. He didn't care at all. It was like she was dressing him. It was very sad, but humorous.

Sometimes girls like their boyfriend/husband's opinions on what to buy. Sometimes they just want their company. However, if he really doesn't want to go, it shouldn't be a big deal. Just call up a close girl friend or something. It's nice to go every once in awhile, just to show you care about her interests, but she shouldn't expect you to go all the time. Just like you would hope she would go with you somewhere sometimes.

My bf also hates shopping as well. However, when he needs something especially in regards to fashion, I am his fashion consultant. Since he has received compliments in the past for the items I've picked out in the past.

I try to make it painless as possible b/c I know I try to place myself in his shoes as well.

I actually enjoy enjoy shopping by myself. I feel that I can go at my own pace & not waste another person's time (regardless if fe/male). I sometimes do get irked when I shop with my mother, sister or female friends who take their leisurely time looking at something & know that they're not planning to get it. It annoys me! If I know there will be a busy hours, I already know in my head what to get in/out as ASAP, since I have other priorities to get to.

I lucked out in that my husband likes going to look at "stuff" no matter if we're talking about clothing (men's or women's), groceries, shoes (men's or women's), household goods, plants, auto parts, tools, furniture, electronics, movies, CD's, books....you name it.

He actually helps me select clothing because I am so frugal...ok, stingy...and so hyper-critical (about the way stuff is constructed - I sew - and the way clothes fit me) that I will rarely buy anything if left to my own devices. He's also got a bit of a shoe fetish, so going shoe shopping is fun for him on a different level. I try on a lot of shoes I would never in a million years buy or really wear, but he finds it amusing.

The good thing about it is that we can easily spend an evening walking around a Meijer or Wal-Mart looking at stuff, being entertained, and walk out without spending a dime.

I cant stand how many girls list "shopping" as one of their hobbies. It's not an activity, it's something you do because you need to like eating or going to the toilet

I do know how important it is though for women so I try to put a smile on, make the occasional usfull comment e.g. "you'll look a right tart in that" and try and keep up.

The only good thing about shopping is a cuppa tea tastes 20 times better after it.

I love to go shopping, but I would not spend hours in a store lingering over clothes. 1 hour tops. Regardless, my bf hates shopping, and I would never force him to go with me, it's agony for both of us. How could I enjoy shopping if he were staring at me mournfully the entire time??

No thanks! I'll spare us both the torture!

My boyfriend - and every man in mine and his family - detest shopping. Even when I go to the grocery store with my boyfriend, he'll usually say things like, "okay, we're just going to pick up a few things, right?", or he'll get frustrated at the way I poke at tomatoes. I think it's funny that he'll get pissy about my selectivity in buying food, yet he doesn't complain when I cook him a great meal, or when he has oranges that he doesn't discover are actually rotten on the bottoms.

The thing I don't get, is when my man wants to shop for himself, I'm right there helping him, grabbing different clothes off the rack for him when he's in the fitting room, giving opinions, etc. Would he do that for me? Hell NO.

And, not all women are compulsive shoppers who take 2 hours in every store. I own 1 pair of shoes for each possible occasion (heels, sandals, winter boots, and runners). I only shop for clothes about once every two months, and that's when I actually need something. Other than that, it's not a pastime.

The way around a man's dislike of actually selecting things that are worth buying is to leave him at home. It works for me!