I'm going on a trip to Japan with my friends in March and I'm nervous

I (male) am going on a trip to Japan with three of my friends (one male and two female) in March. My friends said they want to visit a mixed-gender onsen and I agreed to go, but I did some research and multiple blogs and onsen sites say that only females can cover up with towels and males are required to be naked. I'm nervous about going now. 

It's okay to opt out of this experience, OP. 

Tell them you are not comfortable with this and will plan another activity for yourself while they are there. It doesn't need to be a big deal and if they are really your friends, they will respect your choice. 

Easy. 

• Thanks 1

This is where your true adulthood comes in.  The word "No" is a complete sentence.

If they ask why, just tell them you don't want to.  If they pressure you, that is even more of a reason to opt out.

When we are young we are so guided by peer pressure that we are afraid if we say "No", that will mean we get ostracized from the group.  What we learn as we age is that a group that ostracizes us wasn't a group we wanted to be part of anyway, and the temporary hurt of exclusion is replaced by a sense of peace, once we develop true friendships, which appreciate our opinions and thoughts.

Simply opt out of any experience you do not wish to partake in.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jack2024 said:

I did some research and multiple blogs and onsen sites say that only females can cover up with towels and males are required to be naked. 

Wherever you all go during this trip, people in Japan are used to international tourists. If you don't want to go this particular event, decline. Are you interested in one of the ladies who are going?