So anxious I can't sleep

I am just wondering if any parents have experienced (or are experiencing) similar difficulties. My little girl had a seizure last year on our way back from school, she was 5 at the time. I had never come across febrile convulsions before (even though i have other children) - so i didn't know what was happening and went into full on panic mode. Bearing in mind one of our neighbours little girl died a week before this in similar cirumstances, she'd also suffered a seizure in the car. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. My girl had an un-diagnosed chest infection which caused her temp to get so high hence the fit. She was prescribed antibiotics and got better, THANK FULLY. Because she showed no signs of being poorly at the time, she didn't cough or wheeze at all i am so scared that it will happen again. Every night i have difficulty falling asleep and have to check on all of my children constantly, i measure their temperature while they sleep and monitor their breathing. I eventually drift off but wake atleast twice in the night when i panic and have to check them again. My heart rate races and my mind makes up all sorts of things until i eventually drift off again - i wake up shattered every day. My anxieties are rubbing off on my children now, to the extent that i worry they won't tell me if they feel poorly because of my reaction. The winter period is looming and i feel my anxiety hightening, do you think a visit to my GP may help? I am really trying to avoid any medication - primarily because i worry that if i am in too deep a sleep i won't be able to be there during the night if anything happens to them. I have never been this way, i had my first child when i was 20 and have dealt with childhood illnesses so well up until now. I think it caught me off guard and now i am constantly in 'alert-mode'  Please be kind with your advice...

I would do two things: first, take all of your children in for complete physicals with their pediatrician to ensure they are in good health. Next, schedule an appointment with your primary doctor and let them know about your fears and anxiety. They can help you.

Also, if you don't already have them, get baby monitors for each of your children's bedrooms. They will alert you if there is anything out of the ordinary happening as far as coughing, wheezing, crying, etc.

I completely understand your fears. I would probably be fearful as well. But in order to be an effective parent you will need to ensure you get adequate rest. 

• Like 1

My heart goes out to you, Kathryn. Do you have a partner in the home, or are you close with any family members or friends who you might enlist for help with coverage for a night or two of solid sleep?

Start there, all else can follow. Your body and mind need to sleep properly in order for you to make good decisions. Consider what temporary arrangements you can make for this to happen, and then you can follow additional steps.

It's natural to be traumatized when your child suffers the same symptoms that killed another child--you were likely even traumatized the week before this happened to your daughter, and I'm so sorry. It's understandable that you'd find it difficult to trust your daughter's health, or even the health of others in your family at this time, but you'll need to learn that your hyper-vigilance is NOT responsible for keeping anyone alive.

That learning will need to happen over time, and I hope you will reach for professional help from someone trained in trauma. (((Peace)))

On 10/10/2023 at 8:56 AM, Kathryn657xx said:

My girl had an un-diagnosed chest infection which caused her temp to get so high hence the fit. She was prescribed antibiotics and got better, THANK FULLY. Because she showed no signs of being poorly at the time, she didn't cough or wheeze at all i am so scared that it will happen again. Every night i have difficulty falling asleep and have to check on all of my children constantly, i measure their temperature while they sleep and monitor their breathing. I eventually drift off but wake atleast twice in the night when i panic and have to check them again.

This was a shock for you 😕 and now you have what sounds like possible PTSD from the experience..  So, it may take time for you to 'feel okay', again.

Yes, she had a seizure due to the high temps .. But, that is done now and she is okay.  What you need to do is keep reassuring your mind of this. ( Is common for kids/ some adults) to do this in such circumstances.

Yes, maybe speak with your doctor and even consider some therapy to help you deal with this disturbance.. You need some good mental rest!