Is a diamond important to you?

25 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

What is it about then? You lost me because your title and opening post specifically mentions diamonds and marriage and gifts. Is it for the sole purpose of debating and controversy?  Is it under "crowd wisdom" because threads solely for debating and politics are discouraged?

I think I covered all your questions directly above you.  I want peoples' thoughts, full stop. 

Disclaimer: Not wanting to start a debate.

The diamond industry is certainly concerning. Nonetheless, if we're going to be critical of those who buy a diamond, then what about those who purchase mobile phones? Children (!) mine some of the resources that are used in smartphone batteries, the improper work practices (sweatshops) are beyond appalling and then there's the greenwashing of electronics that are non-biodegradable.

Let's be less critical of others and more critical of what brands we support. Love you all! 🙂

• Like 2
6 hours ago, greendots said:

Disclaimer: Not wanting to start a debate.

The diamond industry is certainly concerning. Nonetheless, if we're going to be critical of those who buy a diamond, then what about those who purchase mobile phones? Children (!) mine some of the resources that are used in smartphone batteries, the improper work practices (sweatshops) are beyond appalling and then there's the greenwashing of electronics that are non-biodegradable.

Let's be less critical of others and more critical of what brands we support. Love you all! 🙂

Yep, and no worries because your sentiments are exactly some of the things I and others have compared as well.  That's why at one point I asked 'should you care?' because I really don't have an answer.  Do I look at the conditions of factory farming and think it's awful?  Yes, absolutely.  Does it stop me from going to Wendy's and filling my belly with meat?  Nope, not at all.

I think there also needs to be an understanding that not every place people live in have much of a choice.  I forget the exact term but I think it's called food deserts?  As in, a lot of places just don't have fresh produce or ethical alternatives to just a chuck of ground beef.  Also eating a vegan diet just is not sustainable to many parts of the world.

But I do find it concerning when you hear things like, "Hey fellow humans, we might be over-fishing the ocean and just run out."

Anyway I've derailed my own topic and went on a tangent so I'm just gonna stop right here.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2022 at 8:57 AM, mylolita said:

Just to say as an alternative to diamonds, my sisters engagement ring has an beautiful sassy Opal in it instead!

She has always been a bit alternative so, it didn’t surprise me one bit when she said no to a diamond 💍!

x

when I got engaged, my hubby got me an opal ring. I did tell him I prefer opal to diamond.

• Like 1